Print Thread
Hop To
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Was at the LGS yesterday and say this set up. Do any of you have one and do you like it?

It looked interesting. They also told me MN isn't sure if it's legal yet. Annoying, but I can see the gray areas some states may put this into.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't see it lasting long. Only Federal makes Firesticks and only Traditions makes a gun that uses them. The Firesticks are very expensive for the few you get. And from what I understand, you can't reload the Firesticks.

Frankly, that would be a hard pass for me. I'd only consider it IF it became popular with other gunmakers and other ammo makers. I'd be afraid that after buying one it would only be a couple of years before finding Firesticks would be impossible.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It isn't legal in many states for muzzleloading season. Legal for general firearms season, but that doesn't give much utility for the oddball system.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If and when it becomes legal where you hunt, it’s certainly a convenient setup, without compromising the current concept of MLs to any appreciable degree. It allows you to pull the charge and leave the bullet seated for next time, assuming you don’t need to clean because you fired the gun. There’s some risk to pulling a load, and firing a gun to empty it has some downside as well. Traditionalists won’t like it, but they’re free to use what they prefer; what others do is between them and the state. Bag limits and seasons in this region are incredibly generous because there are so many deer that it’s nearly impossible to harm the population by hunting, and the choice of weapons is broad.

Saw some NRA Staff guys testing one of those at my range a while back. Seemed to function well. Long-term viability of the platform is a crapshoot. Perhaps someone will cobble up an alternative propellant option if the platform craps in the market. Probably would be wise to acquire enough loads to see you through a few seasons, just in case.

We only get a week for MLs here, and participation is pretty spotty, maybe because it comes right after regular firearms season. Our January Mountaineer Heritage season for sidelocks and stickbows is only four days, and in two years, I’ve seen one other hunter.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can certainly see the advantage to it. But if other companies don’t manufacturer it, it won’t be around long I don’t think.

I like the idea of a “reloadable” charge.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see as it being an advantage. You still have to seat the bullet through the muzzle and with speed loaders that many use you can just dump the powder/pellets and bullet in the same step.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I can't see it lasting long. Only Federal makes Firesticks and only Traditions makes a gun that uses them. The Firesticks are very expensive for the few you get. And from what I understand, you can't reload the Firesticks.

Frankly, that would be a hard pass for me. I'd only consider it IF it became popular with other gunmakers and other ammo makers. I'd be afraid that after buying one it would only be a couple of years before finding Firesticks would be impossible.

About like Remingtons electric primer centerfires. I would hate to be one of the few that jumped on that train.

At least the muzzleloader didn't cost as much as the centerline in this case.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/30/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Already see a used one at the gunshop this week.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe someone couldn’t get “powder” and had to trade it for something they could feed. Haven’t checked to see if the sticks are like everything else…

EDIT: New theory. Midway has them, $33 for 10! Add the price of a bullet and a $1 primer and you’re talking real money.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/05/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muzzle-Loaders.com has them, too, for $29 for 10.

Apparently, they are loaded with Blackhorn 209 powder.

If you could reload the stick, that would make them more attractive. Not that someone won't try.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/06/21.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Need to do a 4473 to purchase, VERY limited loads, not legal for any muzzleloader season here in Pennsylvania...
To me, its like removable breechplugs, solution in search of a problem. The CVA Electra is a more interesting idea to me.
Free country though. Use what you like.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I may be a bit of a Luddite but this thing belongs in with the electric ignition and other gimmicky ",muzzle loading" stuff. I sure as hell won't call them primitive weapons. I admit I cashed in a bunch of gift cards and bought a simple inline to see what the fuss was all about. Accurate, yes. Convenient, yes. Still a pia to clean. I will stick to the flinter I built or my Renegade.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.