Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for some recommendations for a boot that I can use for hunting in the northeast. Needs to have good arch support, a fairly stiff sole, and a roomy toe box. I've got some issues with my left foot and I've tried mail ordering a few different options but nothing has worked out yet. Would like something not to crazy priced but willing to shell out some dough if it gets what I need.

So, any suggestions?

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Just got an email saying meindl's are back in stock. personally to rich for my blood but some believe they are the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Russell Moccasin will custom make you a pair with extra room in the toe box if you call and explain your issue, but they're pricey.

Russell Boots

I purchased a pair of Thorogood 804-3898 boots and they are the best boots I have ever owned. You might look at their offerings and give them a call to see if they have a pair that will meet your needs.

Both Thorogood and Russell are USA made.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the Hoffman boots I'm using now are the best I've tried. The fit feel, arch support, the sole traction, and pretty quiet.
I'd recommend 1/2 size bigger than you wear in leather work boots. I usually wear a 9D in Georgia boots, and a 9EE in Thorogood,
In the Hoffman Explorer I bought a 9W but in really steep downhill my toes start to rub.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Have you looked at Crispi boots. I now own 2 pair, Wild Rocks and Nevada and love both pair depending on conditions. Very roomy toebox.
I have tried all the big names and these fit my feet the best and it really comes down to that.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a couple of pairs of Meindl's an I like them a lot

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds like I need to take a trip and try on some boots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like my Danner Pronghorns. Mine are 400 gram Thinsulate and they work well for both sitting and walking while hunting.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jdunham
Have you looked at Crispi boots. I now own 2 pair, Wild Rocks and Nevada and love both pair depending on conditions. Very roomy toebox.
I have tried all the big names and these fit my feet the best and it really comes down to that.

Best boots I’ve owned. I have the Colorado GTX. I use them mostly for elk hunting.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I really like my Danner Pronghorns. Mine are 400 gram Thinsulate and they work well for both sitting and walking while hunting.

I had one pair and wore them out, bought another pair and still have them. I got a crazy good deal on the Meindl's so I bought them. After wearing the Meindl's and trying the Pronghorns back on, I guess my foot has changed a little and they don't fit as well.
I know for a long time I wore a size 11 and now my feet like size 12 better.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone here use Lowa boots?

Last edited by snowboardguy; 10/29/21.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have been using a variety of Lowa boots since the early '90s. From hard shell double boots to Desert Zephyrs they suit my feet and are well designed and built.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lowa Renegade GTX in Wide fit for me...https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/renegade-gtx-mid-sepia-sepia

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best boots I've ever owned are Kennetrecks.
They are extremely water resistant, incredibly comfortable and superb in rugged, rocky, mountain country.
The arch support and rigid sidewalls are perfect for me.
Our country in the west is completely different than eastern woods...but this is an extremely good boot.

https://www.sportsmans.com/footwear...sulated-waterproof-hunting-boots/p/p9876

Proud NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another vote for the Meindl's. Bought new ones this year...and still could get another year out of the other, 5 year old, pair. GREAT ankle support. I'm flat footed, and these boots give good support.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Balls!

I remember saying I would never buy a pair of boots for $100.

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try a bunch side by side and get the ones that fit the best.

I just went through a search for a new pair of insulated boots. I ordered Zamberlan Sawtooth, Kenetrek Guide, Crispi Hunter GTX and some Lowa's that I tried side by side. The Zamberlan's felt pretty good, the Kenetrek's felt great but when I walked they rubbed my heels, the Lowa's were tight and the Crispi's fit better than my old Asolo's. The Zamberlans were good, but side by side the Crispi's were a little better. The Crispi's are the first boots I've ever owned that had zero break-in time.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been wearing Danners for a very long time and have settled on the Pronghorns. I have an uninsulated pair for deer hunting and a 400 gram pair for elk hunting and they both are very comfortable. I'm 68 now and I noticed I had to go to a wider EE boot the last set I bought. Seems my foot wants more room now, but at least now I know why my last pair seemed a bit snug.... I only wear my hunting boots for hunting and I spend around 30 days a year in the field, so they last me a long time- probably 8-10 years on average.... still stay waterproof that whole time and comfy but by that time the soles are pretty worn out ...

Last edited by Sheister; 10/29/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Anyone here use Lowa boots?

Lowa Banff user here , great when carrying a heav'ish backpack .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Danner Vital 8" 1200gm when it's cold. Warmer days I wear a pair of Columbia hiking shoes.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,282
Posts18,448,597
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.