-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ummm...we would have to revert back about 70 years to only have hyper sonic weapons......

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...reds-hypersonic-weapons-tests-us-done-9/

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I said that in a different post. The media dipschitz are all ablather that a hypersonic warhead can do five times the speed of sound. Seemingly unaware that an ICBM warhead comes in at Mach 15.

The difference is that a hypersonic glide bomb can come in at a much shallower angle, thus lower altitude, giving much less time to be detected and tracked. Then, it can maneuver somewhat, making it much more difficult to be hit by defensive weapons. That does make such weapons problematic, but not immune to counter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I said that in a different post. The media dipschitz are all ablather that a hypersonic warhead can do five times the speed of sound. Seemingly unaware that an ICBM warhead comes in at Mach 15.

Not exactly true. Back around 1970, I worked with a team devising interceptors for ICBMs. While they go 15,000 MPH or so, they slow down drastically once they hit the atmosphere. IIRC US warheads impacted at about mach 2 and Soviet warheads were subsonic at impact. We could defend against missile silos by basing two very high speed rockets at each silo and firing against anything that came within 50,000 feet. That would not be decoys because if you can enter the atmosphere, you might as well do so with a real warhead, not a decoy. While this plan would have made our silos impervious to Soviet strikes, it would not do much to defend cities.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's why I said "come in at Mach 15" and not impact at. But your point is valid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The difference is that a hypersonic glide bomb can come in at a much shallower angle, thus lower altitude, giving much less time to be detected and tracked. Then, it can maneuver somewhat, making it much more difficult to be hit by defensive weapons. That does make such weapons problematic, but not immune to counter.

Correct you are sir. When we planned long range carrier defense (aka the Outer Air Battle, OOA) we set up defensive rings out to 1200 plus NM. The key is to shoot the archer before they unload their arrows. Even with a Supersonic missile, if you launch it too far out, a carrier going 30 plus KTS, ain't gonna be there by then time the missile arrives. And that before counter-measures, ECM, missiles, ducks, etc are launched. Now ask me how we're going to do this without fighters with legs and no real areal refueling capabilities... hint.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_R._Mickelsen_Safeguard_Complex

Anti ICBM site.
"The site achieved initial operating capability on 1 April 1975, and full operational capability on 1 October 1975 costing over $15 billion adjusted for inflation. The House of Representatives voted to decommission the project on 2 October 1975 after they deemed it ineffective."

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The subject I never hear talked about is the vulnerability of our satellite networks. Can't orbital detentions screw up our GPS and comm satellites pretty bad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure you meant to type "orbital detonations" and I assume you mean of nukes. The answer is yes, and maybe. The EMP pulse from a nuke detonated in space would almost certainly wipe out any and all commercial satellites in line-of-sight and within some unknown range. Most military satellites are hardened to withstand some degree of EMP, but we wouldn't know how well until it happened.

Any satellites out of direct sight - meaning below the horizon - would be safe. As would many or most beyond some undetermined distance, presumably.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldHat
The subject I never hear talked about is the vulnerability of our satellite networks. Can't orbital detentions screw up our GPS and comm satellites pretty bad.

To add to what Rocky said, the moment you start blasting things in space, everything becomes real messy, real fast, for everybody. If you blow up their GPS satellites, the leftover bits and pieces become shrapnel for your GPS satellites, ad infinitem.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.