Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by JPro
"Superior" is relative. The qualifications have to be listed.

Perhaps, you missed the qualifier in my statement.

For what you do is rather vague.

It’s sufficiently detailed for my purposes.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Creedmoor is suffering the same fate the .270 Win. did in 1925. Time marches on but people don't change much. Shoot what you like. Live and let live.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The CM was first designed as a long range competition cartridge(600-1000 yards) & meant to shoot flatter with less recoil & wind drift than the very popular 308 that was nearly the standard at the time.

It succeeded.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
In the realm of felt recoil I really don’t think many people fully appreciate proper stock fit.

Makes all the difference in the world.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
In the realm of felt recoil I really don’t think many people fully appreciate proper stock fit.
You are right about that. Our father bought us a used little Stevens break open 20 gauge when my brother and I were in elementary school. I have never shot any firearm since that was that unpleasant to shoot.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is not directed at the OP, but on a related point, it's interesting how many hunters want a rifle without much (if any) felt recoil AT THE SAME TIME they want a rifle that weighs virtually nothing for backcountry hunting. Those are diametrically opposed goals... and always will be. I'd much rather carry a slightly heavier rifle (lose a pound from your pack, or from your gut!) and have a more stable platform for shooting than 5# rifle that even a 7-08 flings around like a magnum. <rant over/>

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
This is not directed at the OP, but on a related point, it's interesting how many hunters want a rifle without much (if any) felt recoil AT THE SAME TIME they want a rifle that weighs virtually nothing for backcountry hunting. Those are diametrically opposed goals... and always will be. I'd much rather carry a slightly heavier rifle (lose a pound from your pack, or from your gut!) and have a more stable platform for shooting than 5# rifle that even a 7-08 flings around like a magnum. <rant over/>

This! Have a friend that's always complaining about the weight of his rifle. That 30 lb intertube around his waist ain't gonna save his fat azz if he falls into the river.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by efw
You are right about that. Our father bought us a used little Stevens break open 20 gauge when my brother and I were in elementary school. I have never shot any firearm since that was that unpleasant to shoot.

I had one of those. That gun was an absolutely miserable SOB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel so much better now.

6.5, and as the world turns.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Stupid fuucking chit to worry about. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a sweetheart of a cartridge. Don't fuucking like it, big fuucking deal.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
So everything you read about this magical cartridge touts it as having significantly less recoil than other cartridges in the same category. Given that the most common factory hunting loads utilize 140 grain bullets, shouldn't it have pretty much the same felt recoil as something like the 7mm-08, .270 Win, and .308? Considering the same weight rifles, of course.
Maybe I thg has less recoil than some other "long-range" cartridges that would typically be used for long range target shooting and hunting? Where's the magic?

So, are you saying you can't handle the 6.5 man-bun's recoil??????

🤣

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I paid little attention to the Creedmore until it was added to the available chamberings for the Steyr Scout. After considering the combination for several months, I concluded it was a perfect match and bought one. Recoil of this rifle seems virtually non existent.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
So everything you read about this magical cartridge touts it as having significantly less recoil than other cartridges in the same category. Given that the most common factory hunting loads utilize 140 grain bullets, shouldn't it have pretty much the same felt recoil as something like the 7mm-08, .270 Win, and .308? Considering the same weight rifles, of course.
Maybe I thg has less recoil than some other "long-range" cartridges that would typically be used for long range target shooting and hunting? Where's the magic?

I think the misunderstanding is "category."

As a hunting cartridge, you are correct. Physics is physics.

That was not its design niche though, it was created as a longer range target cartridge. To get the same BC and velocity out of a 7mm, .30, or .338, you're necessarily heaving heavier bullets via larger powder charges. There too, physics is physics.

Y' gotta settle on application before you can choose which "category" it fits in.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
(Blank) grains of lead, at (blank) fps, from a (blank) lb rifle is exactly the same, no matter what the head stamp says.

Marketing hits a home run sometime.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by efw

Very True.

A good friend of mine had a Ruger number 1 in 458 Lott.

He sold that rifle and picked up a Winchester 70 in the same caliber.

Truly night and day difference. The Winchester was a pleasure to shoot, but the Ruger #1 was not.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
(Blank) grains of lead, at (blank) fps, from a (blank) lb rifle is exactly the same, no matter what the head stamp says.

6.5 manbun is about getting there same velocity, better BC with a lighter, but longer bullet and less powder though.

😉

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have Hunted with a 6.5 Creedmoor for the last 5 years ...About 10 One shot kills from point blank to around 450 on Deer....It is just a pussy cat to shoot.....I actually look forward to checking my zero every year now.....I sold all my other rifles and now have four 6.5s with a model 7 H&S being my favorite followed by a Kimber hunter.........Also have Ruger Precision 6mm Creedmoor!!!!! It is a fun round to bust rocks out to 800 yrds.....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I have Hunted with a 6.5 Creedmoor for the last 5 years ...About 10 One shot kills from point blank to around 450 on Deer....It is just a pussy cat to shoot.....I actually look forward to checking my zero every year now.....I sold all my other rifles and now have four 6.5s with a model 7 H&S being my favorite followed by a Kimber hunter.........Also have Ruger Precision 6mm Creedmoor!!!!! It is a fun round to bust rocks out to 800 yrds.....

I put a Timney trigger in my 6mmCM Ruger precision. It's awesome!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by ltppowell

6.5 manbun is about getting there same velocity, better BC with a lighter, but longer bullet and less powder though.

😉

Magic, obviously.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A lot of what one feels when shooting any rifle is stock fit.

If it don't fit it will feel like it kicked harder.

I have a 308 that in the wood stock kicks like a mule but in a light weight plastic type of stock is a totally different critter.

Even when loading 300 sav loads in it.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 34 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.