Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For several years and countless .22 rounds I have been shooting a Silencer Co Sparrow 22 with excellent results. The only gripe is first round pop is noticeable as O2 is burned in the baffles. Two weeks ago I finally received a Dead Air MASK HD. It is very impressive across several rifles and pistols. First round pop is unnoticeable and I believe it is quieter overall than the Sparrow.

I also have a OSS HX for .223 that does a remarkable job. Initially I was concerned about POI shift due to it's size and weight, but from 1st to 15th round there is no shift. One of the biggest benefits is it reduces backpressure over other suppressors and doesn't require a lot of fiddling.

I am contemplating another OSS for an AR10 as I enjoy hog patrol in southern Georgia. Go big or go home.

Anyone else shooting a can?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, but I shoot through them...... Tend to be a tad expensive to use them as targets

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
True that. Unfortunately, our government needlessly makes it expensive and overly complicated to purchase them. But being able to dispatch pests without disturbing the neighbors is worth every cent. In addition, my hearing is crap after 4 decades of shooting and hunting. Considering the cost of hearing aids today, it is a small price to pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
True that. Unfortunately, our government needlessly makes it expensive and overly complicated to purchase them. But being able to dispatch pests without disturbing the neighbors is worth every cent. In addition, my hearing is crap after 4 decades of shooting and hunting. Considering the cost of hearing aids today, it is a small price to pay.

Zing!

I think you missed it…

I have several that I’ve bought recently including a Dead Air Mask but haven’t taken possession of any yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wilson,

"Considering the cost of hearing aids today, it is a small price to pay."

Spot on, people say you paid what??? for that suppressor===> My hearing wishes I had bought them in my youth. Besides hearing aids are nowhere as good as your God-given hearing.

I've had a couple of tactical innovations "Quests" for quite some time. Old school suppressors, great on a rifle but first-round pop in a pistol and overall suppression (on a pistol) is not hearing safe, A couple of years ago I picked up a dead air mask, pretty much no first-round pop in a pistol and hearing safe. If/when I pick up another rimfire suppressor it Will be another Dead Air Mask.

I'll check into the OSS HX. Gas in the face gets a bit old.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ive heard the dead air mask is the best for no first round pop in 22s. I have the switchback and sometimes it has ones, sometimes it doesnt.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jerry - Chamber gas and increased fouling are a pain when shooting suppressed. I will say, that most of that is eliminated with the OSS design. I do see a little more carbon and powder fouling with the OSS vs non suppressed but nothing like my Gemtech. Cleaning the OSS is pretty radical but it does work:

https://youtu.be/20s4Tk_S_34

The first time I cleaned it I used compressed air to blast out the crud, but I have done the soak and shoot approach too.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 09/14/21.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My .22 can is used on .223 mostly. When I shoot .22LR I just follow it up with a centerfire round and it knocks all the curd out of it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you put a suppressor on a 10/22 and shoot Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 60 Grain Lead Round Nose.....with fast twist barrel..

It is not going to be quiet.

The over all length of the ammo is 22 long rifle, but the case length is 22 short.

The bolt will move back, extract and expose the case mouth to open air when the chamber pressure is still above 2 atmospheres.

This allows the escape of super sonic gas from the breech which will be loud.

In a similar situation, 2 stroke motorcycles sometimes cannot pass noise regulations with mufflers, because noise is coming out the air intake of the carburetor.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ordered a .30 suppressor and a .22 at the same time. Got the .30 in 7 months and just this week 10 months later my .22 came back. crazy ATF WTF.

Tion Minuteman weighing in at 3.9 ounces - shot it with some S&K Pistol match yesterday in gnoahhh's backyard and very pleased with the lack of noise. He's going to machine a thread protector to replace the crappy one that the gunsmith gave me to protect the threads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pugs who threaded the barrel on that Ruger?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Pugs who threaded the barrel on that Ruger?

Same folks that handled the suppressor process - Up in Taneytown MD.

https://www.facebook.com/BollingerGunsmithing

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A Rugged Oculus on my Ruger American Compact .22lr. No first round pop, light weight, easy to clean, and superbly quiet. I'll get another one as soon as I can.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have two YHM Stingers and really like them. I am thinking about doing a form 1 for my next one.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Pugs
Ordered a .30 suppressor and a .22 at the same time. Got the .30 in 7 months and just this week 10 months later my .22 came back. crazy ATF WTF.

Tion Minuteman weighing in at 3.9 ounces - shot it with some S&K Pistol match yesterday in gnoahhh's backyard and very pleased with the lack of noise. He's going to machine a thread protector to replace the crappy one that the gunsmith gave me to protect the threads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WTF ATF is right. It’s not like all the alphabet agencies don’t know who you are after multiple clearances doncha know. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Running a rugged oculus on my left hand Bergara b-14 and absolutely love the thing. Only regret is that I don’t own more rimfire suppressors but I will definitely remedy that in the near future

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
WTF ATF is right. It’s not like all the alphabet agencies don’t know who you are after multiple clearances doncha know. 😊

And I have a C&R FFL through their own agency. Makes no sense at all.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a SiCo Sparrow suppressor I purchased at the same time as my Omega 300. The paperwork came back within a week of each other, but first the Government shutdown happened then COVID shutdown happened and it was about 18 months for me to get both my suppressor.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I run a Dead Air Wisper just for that reason. No first round pop. I mostly use it when take my boys out shooting. I have a Vudoo, 10/22, and my Buckmark threaded.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I finally got around to cleaning my switchback for the first time. Ended up having to let baffles sit in slip 2000 carbon killer for a week, that got 75% of it. nylon brushes didn't do squat even after that. 0000 got most of the rest off, ran it through a tumbler with some walnut media at the very end.

I read about heating the baffles up for 15min in an oven at 250 and then dropping them in some Dot 5 synthetic brake fluid afterwards. Folks are saying this makes future cleaning extremely easy.

I did the bogo thing silencerco just did before this past xmas. Got an omega 300 coming and the free one is the octane 9. Read the octane 9 makes a pretty dang good 22 suppressor also and of course I can shoot it on my 9mm at 300bo. Now I wait...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.