Print Thread
Hop To
#16496180 10/04/21
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Gonna set up a pretty fair amount of skunk traps tomarrow. Some pelts might be ok but mainly after the essence and to clean out some befor puttin in the coyote iron.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in my younger days when I was trapping,if I caught a skunk,I'd shoot it and leave it in the trap.Within three days the coyotes would be all over it.I'm not sure if the buzzards ate it or the coyotes did,but there would be coyote tracks all over the trap and spot where the skunk was.You could tell they where rolling in the hair and stink where the skunk was.I wasn't trapping coyotes at the time,but I'm sure if I would have set multiple traps around the spot,I could have easily caught a few coyotes.I saw the same thing happen everytime I caught a skunk.So you might try this and see what happens.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Back when fox were worth a C-note each I would set a skunk line early. I tanned a few and used them for backs of snowmobile mittens, they sold well also.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Back in my younger days when I was trapping,if I caught a skunk,I'd shoot it and leave it in the trap.Within three days the coyotes would be all over it.I'm not sure if the buzzards ate it or the coyotes did,but there would be coyote tracks all over the trap and spot where the skunk was.You could tell they where rolling in the hair and stink where the skunk was.I wasn't trapping coyotes at the time,but I'm sure if I would have set multiple traps around the spot,I could have easily caught a few coyotes.I saw the same thing happen everytime I caught a skunk.So you might try this and see what happens.

I do this practice later on in season when i catch skunks in the coyote traps, with the ones that spray. I burry them and set off off them with good results.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Guys, I've learned a lot here!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had luck doing this. Catch a skunk in a set for coyotes. Kill the skunk and reset the coyote trap, plus add a trap just outside the dig line. Take the skunk and stake it about 20 yds or so from where it was caught, and place a trap there, also. But dont have the two sets within sight of each other. Doubled on coyotes using this method a few times.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For skunks I use 120's in a box and they rarely spray. Rotten cheese smelly bait seem to work best for me when I target skunks. If they do spay use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, bakeing soda and dawn dish soap to remove the odor before skinning. They are thin skinned so go easy when fleshing.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Did a 3 day check saturday morning. 20 traps and had 10 skunks. 1 bonus roadkill also. Pulled 7 oz. of pew and kept 2 to skin out. Pretty good day. Friday morning I took a nice cow elk. Life is great!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
booner...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hunts , you need to get extra points for that monster

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I ended up with 20 skunks 10 I skinned and put up and collected a pint of pew.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Had a nice skunk in a coyote trap the other day. Took it home and skinned it, nice pelt. 55 cc of pew thats 35.00, the pelts ive been selling at 8.00, and skulls at 2.00.Thats a 45.00 skunk.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Didn't have any out and I should have made time.
Dang neighbors dog herded one over here in the
wee hours, and it decided to let go right outside

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used 160's with square buckets when I targeted them, worked awesome. I'll probably going to be getting back into trapping this next year again and getting my boy going around the farm taking out skunks and yotes

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Boy does that essence draw in the k9s and bears!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I've had luck doing this. Catch a skunk in a set for coyotes. Kill the skunk and reset the coyote trap, plus add a trap just outside the dig line. Take the skunk and stake it about 20 yds or so from where it was caught, and place a trap there, also. But dont have the two sets within sight of each other. Doubled on coyotes using this method a few times.

Getting pictures of a skunk, will definitely try your method.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 79 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.