Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by acloco
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
My neighbor’s 22 year old son was in town over the weekend. His nosy wife decided to check out Jr’s vehicle (which he purchased with his own money) only to find an unsmoked joint in his car. She then blows a gasket and has a complete and comprehensive meltdown as if she discovered a dead body in his trunk. She's always seriously emotional about pretty much everything.

So I get the phone call later that day that my neighbor needs a drink and he’s coming over. He relates the whole matter and how his wife reacted. I said, Would she rather find a pack of cigarettes or piles of bottles? There are worse things in the world than a joint, like cancer and death from drunk driving. He’s a very conservative guy, but totally gets the unfounded hysteria over pot.

So what is everyone’s take on the issue of Cannabis? Would you rather your adult children be addicted to nicotine or alcohol, or smoke the occasional joint?

Prefer no addiction.

Your words downplay "...the occasional joint". Weed of today is NOT the same weed from ten years ago. It is highly addictive. Don't bullshit your occasional self.

Cannabis is not different than tobacco or alcohol.

First off, the use of something does not make one a addict. There is a very large threshold between the two.

THC affects the dopamine levels in the brain in much the same manner that sugar and carbohydrates do. Most research shows that "heavy" pot users do become addicted to the release of dopamine. Then again, heavy users of tobacco and alcohol become addicted as well. One would argue that kicking nicotine and alcohol is more difficult, but that is subjective of course. You can easily substitute THC with other dopamine enhancers... like donuts and McDonalds.

In regards to the dangers of THC, nicotine, and alcohol abuse, the results may surprise you.

I am not advocating the legal use of Cannabis, just suggesting that as a society, we are addicted to a lot of things that are "socially acceptable" that are far more dangerous and impacts a far wider percentage of the population. Singling out pot is a little disingenuous.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
All the guys arguing against how evil a plant is, have no experience with it or open mindedness to be able to learn facts about something new.

Same as the guys who hate a cartridge they have never used. It's pathological.

Never tried Tobacco, Hemlock, Nightshade, Choke Cherry leaves, or Amanita Mushrooms either.

But one can learn by observing the population around you, or even reading results found by others.

But you go ahead, eat all the Hemlock and Nightshade you want. They are just nature's plants? Right? Get back to us and let us know how that works out.

Many of the most lethal molecules known to man are produced by "Mother Nature".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Poison plant = any other plant.

Thanks for confirming my comment about logic.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/02/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
All the guys arguing against how evil a plant is, have no experience with it or open mindedness to be able to learn facts about something new.

Same as the guys who hate a cartridge they have never used. It's pathological.

Damn Creedmore cartridges, of any variety.

Who needs 'em anyway.

Yep. Gateway to the 9.3mm Mauser.

Hey, I see the benefit of one of those.

'06 on steroids bro.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How will the legalization of cannabis improve highway transportation for those of us who don't use pot and currently drive triggered dodging the present insanity using our highways?

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

Like I said, "it's for pain" is the most common excuse major potheads use, in my experience.

No. You're a lazy POS that will use any excuse you can to get on disability and not have to work anymore.

Could you explain all of the Drs., lawyers, LEO's, business leaders, etc. that get high. A good friend of mine (who owns his business) and I went to the place across the road after hours to have a beer with that owner. Walked in the back door and it was a Who's who of the local business owners. Everybody was getting stoned. Buddy was very pleasantly surprised.

You don't become a business owner by being a lazy POS. As Slummy said , if you're lazy, you're lazy. Pot has nothing to do with it.

See my post above the one you quoted. I don't have any issues with people smoking pot occasionally. None. It's the people that smoke it all day everyday and make excuses as to why they do that get to me. Many of these same people avoid work like the plague but Slum is probably right. If you're lazy, you're lazy.

Hell I drink too much by community standards so I would be a hypocrite if I said ALL pot users were POS.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

So what is everyone’s take on the issue of Cannabis? Would you rather your adult children be addicted to nicotine or alcohol, or smoke the occasional joint?

Kind of a baited question with the use of the word "addicted".

I don't want them addicted to anything. I'd much rather them use tobacco or alcohol than pot however. Just look around you at the type of people who are habitual users of all three and it should answer your question. The vast majority of decent people I know drink and many smoke cigarettes. The vast majority of dirtbags I know are habitual users of pot.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

First off, the use of something does not make one a addict. There is a very large threshold between the two.

THC affects the dopamine levels in the brain in much the same manner that sugar and carbohydrates do.

Don't leave out Cocaine and, dare I say it, Heroin. They affect dopamine levels and receptors a bit. And they are both naturally derived as well. Nature's Bounty!

Most research shows that "heavy" pot users do become addicted to the release of dopamine. Then again, heavy users of tobacco and alcohol become addicted as well. One would argue that kicking nicotine and alcohol is more difficult, but that is subjective of course. You can easily substitute THC with other dopamine enhancers... like donuts and McDonalds.

In regards to the dangers of THC, nicotine, and alcohol abuse, the results may surprise you.

I am not advocating the legal use of Cannabis, just suggesting that as a society, we are addicted to a lot of things that are "socially acceptable" that are far more dangerous and impacts a far wider percentage of the population. Singling out pot is a little disingenuous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The government has been fighting a war against marijuana for nearly 85 years. And marijuana is still winning. Despite the government’s efforts, the government has still failed to reduce Americans’ consumption of the plant. In fact, it’s still on the rise. It’s a lost cause for anyone who still supports marijuanas’ prohibition.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Poison Plant equals poppies, equals coca, equals tobacco, equals marijuana.

But no, some can't see the connection.

Just like alcohol, the felt effects of THC, intoxication, are due to it's toxic affect on the human body.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Apparently there is marijuana and then there is Marijuana !! My friend and neighbor, call him Scotty (as in beam me up) was in the dope growing business before most of you guys were born..when it was serious industry right in the Emerald Triangle. He knows his dope. He still grows a little, but nothing like in the 60's with night stealth missions on the Klamath in driftboats.
I asked him this morning during the coffee visit, about this thread. Pretty much unedited, Scotty says, these new strains of this super high resin content bud is some bad [bleep]. It will f... you up, and it will f... your life up. He rattled off some goofy names but basically I get that THC content is almost double what it was 25 years ago, instead of a mellow high it leads to a state of euphoria that makes the uncautious user to believe they are endowed with super powers. Every driver becomes Mario Andretti is the example he used. Experienced old "heads" he says can regulate it, High school kids...it's as bad as 150 proof rum when it comes to bad judgement.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol um...ok.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Everyone in here is suddenly an expert on drugs when it comes to the vaccines but they believe pot is both magic and evil.

Same dumbasses who think their 270 "rises" at 200 yards lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/02/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Everyone in here is suddenly an expert on drugs when it comes to the vaccines but they believe pot is both magic and evil.

Well, only when I'm stoned outta my mind!

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Raeford

Well, only when I'm stoned outta my mind!

Good one lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Apparently there is marijuana and then there is Marijuana !! My friend and neighbor, call him Scotty (as in beam me up) was in the dope growing business before most of you guys were born..when it was serious industry right in the Emerald Triangle. He knows his dope. He still grows a little, but nothing like in the 60's with night stealth missions on the Klamath in driftboats.
I asked him this morning during the coffee visit, about this thread. Pretty much unedited, Scotty says, these new strains of this super high resin content bud is some bad [bleep]. It will f... you up, and it will f... your life up. He rattled off some goofy names but basically I get that THC content is almost double what it was 25 years ago, instead of a mellow high it leads to a state of euphoria that makes the uncautious user to believe they are endowed with super powers. Every driver becomes Mario Andretti is the example he used. Experienced old "heads" he says can regulate it, High school kids...it's as bad as 150 proof rum when it comes to bad judgement.

Yep, similar to when I was growing up in SoCal, it was hard to come by booze stronger than 151 Bacardi. Folks would occasionally come back from Las Vegas with Everclear, or from Mexico with something stronger than the Bacardi. Moonshine was basically unavailable, until a friend with access to all the stuff built a still. We had one batch we called "Ol' Ten Yard", because a couple of shots of it and 10 yards was about as far as a teenager could get!

The ones interested in getting "f'd up" are gonna find a way. And they will want the strongest available if getting "f'd up" is their main interest.

Coke addicts will move from snorting, to freebase, to crack.

Meth/crank users will move from snorting, to smoking, to injection.

More than one heroin user started out snorting or smoking it. And now certain folks are cutting it with fentanyl so their customers get higher and come back to buy more. And, since it apparently can be made pretty cheaply in China and elsewhere, it's more cost effective and easier to do than preparing a field, growing poppies, harvesting sap, cooking it down, transporting it to a lab, turning it into heroin, etc.

For me, and maybe it's just me, the "pot isn't what you boomers grew up with" argument seems too similar to the "well, growing up we didn't have 30, 50, or 100 round magazines" argument.

Make something illegal and someone will try to profit off it; and as long as there are still places outlawing Mary Jane someone will be willing to take the risk to get it into that area.

Might as well go back to alcohol prohibition if we're really worried about what is happening on our roads, in our schools, in our courthouses, etc.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Poison Plant equals poppies, equals coca, equals tobacco, equals marijuana.

But no, some can't see the connection.

Just like alcohol, the felt effects of THC, intoxication, are due to it's toxic affect on the human body.

Let's not leave out my favorites,

coffee and especially that Poison Plant....................CHOCOLATE.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/the-poisonous-nature-of-chocolate/

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In response to the OP, I would rather that folks not be addicted to, or even operating in public under the influence of, anything that impairs judgment and performance. Simple preference on my part, but not mine to try to control.

Folks have free will regarding what they choose to put into their systems, even if the stuff has severe effects on them and their lives. The affront occurs when their ingestion and resulting behaviors cause problems for other individuals - who are their victims - and when their habits undermine disciplines and intensify problems in our society. Yes, they have the legal right to such choices. Do they have the moral right to so affect others?

Where the government has made efforts to inhibit such use and abuse, those efforts probably have been aimed at protection of its society in general. Where such governmental efforts have not worked, it is not that the chemicals are winning (they are inert with regard to effort or judgment) - it is that the users are losing due to their choices, and other people often become the victims of those user choices. Thus, my stated preference.. Humans can be weak.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rainshot
Pot is a gateway drug. It dulls the senses and is the cause of a lot of auto wrecks. I don't see any good coming from it. Sure alcohol is addictive and dangerous. I don't think we need to add to our recreational drug problems any more than we already have.

Yep.

Just take a drive through Colorado since they made it Legal there. Drive by any weed shop and take a look at all the homeless trash laying out front waiting for the stores to open. While their taking a schitt on the street corner.
Another decent State ruined by Libertards legalizing Pot. 😡

I call BS.
I’ve driven by lots of dispensaries and never once seen this. Homeless trash can’t afford what’s inside the store.

Now bars and liquor stores? Absolutely! There’s no $2.99 bottles of vodka inside a pot shop

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
My neighbor’s 22 year old son was in town over the weekend. His nosy wife decided to check out Jr’s vehicle (which he purchased with his own money) only to find an unsmoked joint in his car. She then blows a gasket and has a complete and comprehensive meltdown as if she discovered a dead body in his trunk. She's always seriously emotional about pretty much everything.

So I get the phone call later that day that my neighbor needs a drink and he’s coming over. He relates the whole matter and how his wife reacted. I said, Would she rather find a pack of cigarettes or piles of bottles? There are worse things in the world than a joint, like cancer and death from drunk driving. He’s a very conservative guy, but totally gets the unfounded hysteria over pot.

Wait til that marijuana is laced with fentanyl...

OR METH

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.