Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Well, the wife has essentially laid down the law. She wants me to stop talking about Africa and go!
I really want to take a Buffalo and that, I think is my priority. There are of course certain plains game I'm interested in as well. The usual suspects, Kudu, Impala, Zebra....
I don't really know where to begin. First things first, I know I need to renew my passport and will get after that as soon as I can. In researching areas, Zimbabwe seems to address true free range buffalo hunting at a reasonable cost (seems like the buff hunts in RSA are game ranches, I could be wrong) Or should I take a plains game safari? Cost is a factor though I haven't determined my top end yet. Can't see spending more then 15K-ish. I am completely open to suggestions.
Is it in my best interest to go through an outfitter/fixer to organize flights, weapons paperwork, general booking etc.? If so, who?
I know there is lots of experience on this forum.
Lay it on me.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is a company that specializes in organizing flights for hunting trips in Africa. Don't remember the name but here's her email kathiwildtravel.net. She will give you all the ins and outs and will make it all simple. She will be familiar with the gun laws/permits and potential problems.

Personally, I'd probably do a plains game package to RSA or Namibia for a first trip, but nothing wrong with slamming a cape buff right off. Zimbabwe is probably the spot for that when considering costs.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The first animal I hunted and killed in Africa was a cape buffalo. I have gone on eight safaris since and have no regrets hunting buffalo on the first one.

If you decide to hunt buffalo, Zimbabwe is a great choice. Book with a licensed Zimbabwe outfit in a good area.

For an excellent hunt with an established company, in a beautiful wild area Mokore Safaris is hard to beat. Hunt Sengwe Research area. Great buffalo and plains game hunting in a wild open area. I can recommend them without reservation.

Mokore Safaris

There are others like CM Safaris, Shaun Buffee, Lin Stanton that are excellent also.

Travel with Guns (TWG) is who I use when traveling. They helped me out of Republic of Congo a few years back and I will always be grateful.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A couple of other notes.

Book ten days of hunting. Enjoy your time there. I once stayed in Zim for 28 days straight.

Fly in to Vic Falls, overnight there. Travel to Hwange and spend two days on photo safari. You will get over your jet lag and get to see big game up close.

Don't pinch pennies, that does not mean waste money. I could never afford a cheap hunt, my time is too valuable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything Mike70560 says is spot on. The first animal I got in Africa was also cape buffalo and I wouldn't change a thing. I went to SA for first trip and hunted buffalo in the greater Kruger area and it was free range. Have since hunted in Zim (twice) and Namibia. All great hunts. Good luck to you.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B2

O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Saw the glowing remarks on TWG elsewhere and will definitely check them out.
In discussing buffalo vs. plains game with the boss(wife) to me, buffalo is priority. These hunts aren't getting cheaper and I can tack on a couple other animals if the opportunity arises.
I've got a 375 ruger that has no blood on it and is beginning to look at me like a neglected dog. Also just got back my M70 from JES who transformed it 9.3X62. Would love to baptize it with a zebra or kudu.
Thanks for the feedback and spare no details.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Another outfitter in Zimbabwe to check out is Track-A-Hunt Safaris with Corris Ferria. I hunted with him 4 years ago for Buffalo, and it was an outstanding trip. He hunts old school with cutting tracks and looking for old Dagga bulls. I was amazed at how wary the old bulls were. We were on buffalo every day, but it took until the evening of the 5th to get a shot. The concession is on the shores of Lake Kariba, and the sight seeing of hippos, crocodiles and other wildlife was a highlight. Depending on the time of year you go, fishing might be an option as well.

Like others have recommended, go early and see Victoria Falls and other sites while you recover from jet lag.

For my next trip, I plan on stopping for a few days in Germany then head down to see Corris.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would use an American outfitter. I used Atcheson's. I would also go to RSA for plains game on the first trip, then Zim for buffalo.

On my RSA trip I took kudu, gemsbok, zebra, warthog, blesbok, impala (2) and wildebeeste in seven days of actual hunting. The cost, including air fare, was less than a guided elk hunt out west.

My primary objective in Zim was a bull elephant. That was the first animal I got in Zim. Then I took buffalo, hippo, and a 14 foot croc.

My next trip to Zim resulted in taking lion, bull elephant, buffalo, hippo, zebra, and several impala (bait for leopard but we didn't get a leopard).

Whatever you do, you will have a memorable experience. But an African trip may ruin the joy of deer hunting for you.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Indy, sounds like you had quite a time in Zim!
My pockets aren't that deep but I can't disagree with Mike. Don't want to cheat myself with a cut-rate hunt either. As for ruining deer hunting, maybe but I sincerely doubt it. I'll be 50 in a few months and still get excited about opening day. Heck, I still like squirrel hunting.
Thanks again for all the input.
Keep it coming.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
No question, the cheapest GOOD hunts for free range buffalo are in Zim. I’ve never used a booking agent, preferring to deal direct with the outfitter. However, for a first timer a US booking agent would probably be preferable..

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
An American booking agent is not a bad idea.

I believe Atcheson is really a booking agent or “hunting consultant” is the fancy term. Tim Herald and Mark Young are two others.

In a previous post I said the outfitter needs to be a Zim company. I was referring to the operation that is actually putting on the hunt, owns the rights to the concession, and is providing a PH. The PH needs to be licensed in Zimbabwe which pretty much means he needs to be a Zim citizen.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There are many more experienced folks here than me. I have been to South Africa three times for plains game. The one piece of advice I will offer, especially for a first timer, is if you are traveling through Johannesburg, some of the best money you will spend is for a meet and greet service and advance firearms permit. You can do this on your own, but I would not want to, especially for the modest cost. My outfitter arranged this for me, along with overnight lodging at the Afton Guest House. Other hunters prefer other lodging. I can’t offer a comparison but will say we have found the accommodations and service perfectly fine.

I started the thread on Travel With Guns. Again, there are other travel agents, but I can’t imagine what I would want that TWG didn’t provide.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OGB,

I have done 4 safaris to Africa, for everything from the tiny antelopes to Lion. A few observations- by all means, use a travel agency to help with travel arrangements, necessary paperwork, and a Meet and Greet service. In the past I have used Gracy Travel to complete satisfaction, but there are others with good reputations as well.

As far as your $15K cost- what you will find is that the total cost of your safari, including air fare, preparation and shipping of trophies, inspection fees, etc., etc., and final taxidermy, depending on what you have done, will easily run 2X to maybe as high as 3X the actual outfitters cost for the hunt.

If you fly 'cattle class', you can save on air fare, and if you choose not to have animals mounted, you can save a whole bunch. Steer clear of outfitters who offer deals that look too good to be true, they probably are. A friend of mine just returned from SA, and had a bad experience with his outfitter, who wanted to negotiate prices of trophies while he was actually out hunting. Make sure the outfitter you choose actually has the game in his area that he advertises- I have run into this problem before.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Bighorn, I've flown all over the world "cattle class", it sucks but I can take it. One thing that is frequently glossed over in safari articles is all the "ancillary" costs. I'm well aware of these fees and costs but don't hold back these details. Currently plan on euro mounts (a zebra would become a rug). Saves money and not for nothing, space. I'm most definitely not made of money but am willing to make a stretch for a great experience.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If it matters, taxidermy expenses often come in a different budget year or years. I didn’t receive shipments until the year after my hunt, so those costs came a year later. When I received them, I had to make a taxidermy deposit. Then the final taxidermy payment was another year when the work was completed.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good point

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don’t overlook getting some hides tanned to leather. I have done this on all 4 of my trips, the products created makes for great usable everyday “trophies” from briefcases, purses, backpack style purse, boots, carry on bags, etc.

If you don’t have a good camera get one. The cell phone is great for capturing the moment picture but a real camera is by far the best for wildlife and scenery.

Then take lots and lots of photos.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by OGB
Bighorn, I've flown all over the world "cattle class", it sucks but I can take it. One thing that is frequently glossed over in safari articles is all the "ancillary" costs. I'm well aware of these fees and costs but don't hold back these details. Currently plan on euro mounts (a zebra would become a rug). Saves money and not for nothing, space. I'm most definitely not made of money but am willing to make a stretch for a great experience.

Sensible way to go, just take really good pictures/or video to go with them, but have a Ball man!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love to see threads like this since I remember when I composed a similar post for my first trip. I always think it is great that other hunters are so willing to share and help newbies, especially when it comes to hunting Africa.

OGB, you've already received a lot of very good advice here. I agree with everyone that you definitely want to make sure that you go with a known, reputable outfit that has a great reputation and a good track record. My recommendation on that front is to plan on attending the SCI or DSC conventions and personally visit with the outfits that seem to offer what you want. Oftentimes, you can talk to the actual PHs that you may be hunting with and that is worth a lot. Spending a day or even two days talking to these companies will tell you a lot about them. With the research you're doing now, you'll know which ones you want to talk with and can concentrate on them. If you're ready to book when the conventions come around, you can often get some pretty good "show" specials and save a few bucks, but don't let that force you into booking with someone that you don't feel good about. If you feel pressured at all, don't do it. Just walk away. You can always come back to them after the show and after you've done more research.

Best of luck to you. By the way, my first trip to Africa was for buffalo as well, and I see no reason not to target your primary animal on a first safari. Don't wait any longer than you have to!

O
OGB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Really appreciate all the info gents.

Seems like not so long ago all you could do was cold call PHs and outfitters who listed adds in the back of magazines.

What a resource I have here!

The only way I could swing one of those conventions is if it was within a days drive of the Wilmington NC area.

I'm trying to soak up all the Intel I can and everyone's input is helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 655 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.