Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sold both of my Ruger MK III and kept a Smith 617, 10 shot.

NRA Patron
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wife and daughters like shooting a Ruger SR22, it's light and fits their hand just right. For me my favorite is my Sig Sauer P226 with .22 RF conversion in a semi-auto. My favorite revolver is a Smith & Wesson Pre-Model 18.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/01/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Auto

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antero,

S&W Model 17 (or the stainless version the Model 617) for the range, or the S&W Model 63 (or the Model 34) for packing. The 17 is easier to shoot accurately, but with practice, you can do well with the Model 63. As mentioned above, revolvers will function with any load.

Yes, the Smiths are expensive, they're not going to get any cheaper though. In ten years you'll look back on what they go for today and kick yourself if you did not pick one up.

Revolvers are not difficult to clean at all... I have a threaded handle with a worn 6mm brass brush for the cylinders, a 4-inch brass rod with a brass brush on it, and another with a patch loop. Also a brass toothpaste style brush for cleaning the carbon off the cylinder and the frame.

If considering a semi-auto look at the Ruger Mark 4 Lite. The Mark 4's are the easiest/quickest of the Ruger Mark pistols to clean due to the take-down feature. Other advantages with a semi-auto are they are a lot easier to mount an optic or red dot, if your eyes require that, and if a suppressor is in your future.

Even if getting both is your plan, I'd pick up the revolver first due to rising prices.

Jerry

S&W Model 63's
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a Buckmark and a Single Six. Both get shot but the BM gets shot way more, easier and faster to reload plus it's easy to clean. For a first 22 pistol, my vote is for an auto.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have 22 revolvers and semi-autos. I like my S&W revolvers most.

Semi-autos are sometimes picky and like premium ammo. Revolvers will shoot about anything. My wife shoots our Model 17 the most. It also keeps her up on shooting her Model 10 38 Special without the noise and it is cheaper to shoot.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I keep this one in my deer hunting pack. Good for coons and squirrels.

Not a high quality red dot, but does the job. I shoot Subsonic Rem ammo.

Clark steel trigger with trigger stop.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a pre-lock S&W 317 3" that I like very much, a Ruger MKII SS 22/45 target 5.5" that has taken hundreds of grouse and cottontails but my current favorite is my new Volquartsen Scorpion 6".

My dad has a Marvel kit on his DW 1911 that always impresses... That will be the next addition.

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of each, a 1973 Ruger Single Six Convertible and a 2020 Taurus TX 22.

The Ruger is quite accurate with both .22 RF and .22 WMR. Now that I have the Taurus, the Ruger is pretty much a full time .22 Mag. I simply find it easier and faster to manipulate with the longer cartridge. It is also a nice bump in power.

I like the Taurus TX22 very much. Light, easy to manipulate, quick to load, 16+1, adjustable sights, and very reliable. I like that it works just like all my self defense pistols. It is accurate enough to hit what I shoot at (25 yards) with any ammo. It is quite accurate with ammo it likes. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably keep this one.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 11/04/21.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had far more issues out of revolvers than autos. The revolvers quickly get dirty and don’t want to fully chamber rounds. The area above the forcing cone packs with lead that is nearly impossible to remove. Ejection can become difficult quickly. Accuracy has been only ok. My autos run longer and run far better when dirty. They also exhibit greater accuracy. That being said, I like shooting both and the revolvers would be fine for my uses. I shoot the revolvers far more these days, despite the drawbacks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Are you The Phantom?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antero
I might stretch my budget and try to get a S&W 63 (or similar) if I can find one for a decent price. It looks like the size and weight I’m looking for, and I just like it a lot.

Just pay what it takes to get a low mileage specimen. Before long, you won’t miss the money.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5thShock

Are you The Phantom?

[/quote]
Could be.

Ha!

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got rid of my only .22 LR auto handgun: a Browning Buckmark. I rarely shot it, though it was fun.

I have not parted from my Single Six. It is just more useful for me. I never had any issues with the Buckmark mind you but it just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
good choice.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I am envious

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have a variety of .22s. But sounds like portability is the priority. The G44 and Smith 63 are both wonderful.

We have two 44s, mostly for pistol classes. They are more reliable and accurate than some online reviews suggest. Only stuff ours won't digest are GECO Bolt (slower than CCI-SV) and the bulk-packed HS Win HPs (huge hollowpoint is great for game, but lousy for feeding). Couple others I can recommend, though do not own: Smith M&P and Ruger SR22. Both have proven themselves reliable in classes.

The 63 is in another league, if heavier than the 44. Sheer fun factor, it's the winner.

Both the 63 and 44 require disciplined trigger control, but you probably knew that.

Can't say cleaning/maintenance is a problem with either one.

Pick one? Geez, I can't. Well, my heart sez the 63.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like revolvers, have several.

Flat gate Single Six,

S&W Kit Gun.

Pre War Colt Officers Model Target (3rd ed) with Python grips, also have the originals.

K-22, 8 3/8" Target, shown with it's companion K-38

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My advise is to find a range that rents pistols and revolvers and try several of each . I have had any number of rimfire handguns in the past but only have two at the moment . I have a Colt Pre Woodsman and a Smith & Wesson square butt Kit Gun .

The revolvers area a bit easier to shoot snake loads in for me , I don't like to have to load them one at a time and I have never owned an auto that would function reliably with shot. With the Kit Gun I load three shot loads and the rest HP . Only problem for me with the kit gun is it is just slightly smaller than I would like it to be and even with the oversized grips I use I still only shoot it just passable . I can pop a snakes head off with solids with the Woodsman nine times out of ten on the first shot as far as I can see him. The kit gun is the gun I should have had when I was a kid instead of the Bearcat that I had then . If you shoot revolvers , I would think a K frame 4" with adjustable sights would be perfect for a woods gun .

If you shoot autos more or tend to shoot them better then that would be the way to go if the snake shot is not a big deal to you. You should really shoot several to get a feel for what grip you are comfortable with . I love the Ruger's but I don't shoot them well , tried one of the Luger .22's years ago and didn't shoot it well either . Never tried the old version of the Woodsman till recently because the grip shape and angle was so similar to the other two that I thought my results with it would be the same , WRONG ! I shoot the pre and first model Woodsman like it was a rifle . Try every one you can get your hands on before you spend your money.

Any of the Ruger single actions with LR and Magnum cylinders would be top choices if you like the grip shape . I do and own 5 SA guns for every other type that I own .One exception on the Ruger SA , I would not waste my money on the Wrangler. They are not quite as big a piece of crap as the Heritage Arms stuff but they ain't far off from it in my opinion. Buy Steel.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 11/08/21.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The full underlug works on the 6in 617 because it's more of a range gun. I wish they'd come out with a 4in with a lighter barrel for woods use.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The full underlug works on the 6in 617 because it's more of a range gun. I wish they'd come out with a 4in with a lighter barrel for woods use.

S&W made 617’s in a 4” without the underlug, also a handful of Mountain Gun configurations.

The 617 full lugs are heavy rascals, mine is very accurate….

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.