Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
It came as no surprise that Ruger’s Q3 2021 conference call discussed yet another solid quarter of numerology for financial types. As was pointed out to me in conversations at NASGW in Columbus, Ohio, Ruger’s been producing solid results, quarter after quarter, for something approaching the past decade.

But the most recent quarter points out a couple of things that every manufacturer would like to see happen in their business. First, they sold all those millions of dollars worth of products without discounts.

It’s not unusual for companies (especially publicly traded ones) to “pump” sales numbers by offering discounts of some description. Ruger hasn’t because, frankly, they haven’t needed to.

According to comments by Ruger’s CEO Chris Killoy, the distributors aren’t for discounts, they’re more than happy that the company has product. That seems to be borne out by new product sales. New products (products introduced within the past 8 quarters included the Ruger 57, the LCP-II in .22 LR, the PC Charger, Max-9 pistol and LCP-Max) accounted for

$116 million (22 percent) of the last nine months’ sales.

Another positive is the fact that distributors are still tens of thousands of units under their ideal inventory levels. With more new products in the pipeline, including the highly-anticipated return of the Marlin brand (it will not be a Ruger-branded/Marlin rifle -the brand will be stand-alone), the demand Killoy says he anticipates before the end of the year will be calls wanting “more Marlins.”

As a sidebar, the Marlin that was shown at NASGW was a Model 1895 in 45-70 caliber. And Killoy isn’t keeping his enthusiasm for the “new” rifle a secret. In fact, he told the analysts the decision to keep the Marlin brand separate was because of the brand’s history.

It’s also worth noting that Ruger’s numbers for Q3 were up, despite the fact the company shut down for a full week in July. It’s probably worth noting that with five fewer days in their manufacturing cycle compared to Q3 2020, Ruger increased production twenty two percent.

Right now, it seems every company is having a “Ruger-like” year. But that’s actually not so. Sales of firearms are booming, but not every company is so independent of reliance on off-shore parts, pieces or components. In fact, Ruger’s Killoy praised the manufacturing teams at their multiple locations for managing around what could have been supply chain issues. Rather than shutting down lines, he explained, using the ubiquitous 10/22 as an example, they went to assembly of different stock models until components arrived.

Not everyone in the outdoor industry is faring the same. In fact, some companies with heavy dependence on overseas manufacturing are really feeling the bite of the supply chain issues.

Containers, the big shipping boxes inside which products make their way to the United States are skyrocketing, cost-wise. As it was explained to me by one manufacturer who asked that I not use his name/company, the costs for his company’s containers has jumped from $3,000 to a staggering $26,000 -per container. And he says those costs are “crushing” some smaller companies.

Using his company as an “anonymous” example, there were six containers of product scheduled for delivery this week. That jump in cost means the cost of the containers jumped to $156,000- without paying for the products inside them.

It has to be disheartening as a businessman to see your sales and market share increasing, but have to look for additional capital because of supply chain issues. As he explained it to me, “some smaller companies are heading down a path of no return.”

Even larger companies are feeling the bite. One company currently has more than 150 containers of product “on the water” - that’s an increase in costs of $3.9 million dollars- again, without the cost of the products inside those containers.

As he explained it, “hyperinflation is a hell of a lot closer than anyone wants to talk about.”

And no one in business wants to explain who’s ultimately going to pay those skyrocketing costs. If you’re doing your grocery shopping and noticing empty spaces in aisles or a lowered selection of constantly more-expensive products, you already know who ultimately winds up with the bill: consumers.

We’ll keep you posted.

— Jim Shepherd

BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sounds like your vote for Biden has hurt some gun companies.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Interesting cut and paste. Do you have an opinion on it? What's Brandon's roll in this? What's your roll in electing Brandon?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In other words: Prices aren't going backwards.

Buy now or pay more later.

God Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yeah, maybe the anti-gun Fudd needs to go play somewhere else..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And somehow every gun store I enter has an azzload of Bergara's.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

He's just another clueless anti gun Fudd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM

Yeah, but who the f*ck wants a Bergara? Ugly enough to frighten a crocodile.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I am a 75 year old life long Republican. Last week I early voted for Biden, sometime when you hire some one they don't work out, that's the way I look at Trump.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I am a 75 year old life long Republican. Last week I early voted for Biden, sometime when you hire some one they don't work out, that's the way I look at Trump.

Dude must have the early onset of dementia or some other mental handicap to have said that, or he's just an imbecile.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Dude must have the early onset of dementia or some other mental handicap to have said that, or he's just an imbecile.

I am thinking the latter.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

One word for that..........................................

SHEESH

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yeah, maybe the anti-gun Fudd needs to go play somewhere else..

If only

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ought to be a sticky at the top of the page with a list. No extraneous posts and typical banter. Just a list that gets updated

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Ought to be a sticky at the top of the page with a list. No extraneous posts and typical banter. Just a list that gets updated

We could call it the fuqktard list.

Originally Posted by Eric308
I'm voting for Biden,

Originally Posted by Eric308
the AR15 is a soulless weapon for feckless people.

Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Yes, I voted for Biden,

Originally Posted by JimFromTN
I voted for Biden

Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'd vote for Ted Cruz or Mike Lee or Allen West before I'd vote Trump. If it was something like Flop McRunny or Lez Shyny, I'd vote Biden again until the lesson sticks with even the stupidest.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by EdM

Yeah, but who the f*ck wants a Bergara? Ugly enough to frighten a crocodile.

I picked up a rimfire yesterday.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by 1911a1

I am thinking the latter.

Why limit yourselves to only one?

I'm thinking All Three! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.