Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wife wants a new car and mentioned a Tahoe or 4Runner. I know the fire is generally gaga over Toyota, and I would honestly prefer the four runner over the Tahoe. Any flies in the four runner? Also, it will have to occasionally tow a 3,000lb aluminum bay boat (didn’t weigh it but the spec sheet says 1,400. Not sure if that’s the boat with motor so I added the motor, full fuel, trailer, gear, etc) 3,000 should be the max weight (probably less). Any issues towing with the 4runner? I have only had 3/4 ton trucks, so I don’t really know about towing with a smaller suv. I towed a pop up camper with a Tahoe once and it worked ok.

Looking at new ones, is there anything to avoid?

Last edited by K1500; 11/07/21.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would say buy one while you can. They are the last of the all Japan made Toyotas since the land cruiser was discontinued. Take good care of it and It is a 300 k or more vehicle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought one myself, this should be the last year of the V6. Expect these to go to a 4-cylinder twin turbo next year much like the Tundra is being downsized in the engine department.

I bought the TRD Off Road Premium and found the ride and seats to be more comfortable than the Limited. Good luck in finding the TRD Pro in the current market if that is what you want.

Last edited by Mink; 11/08/21.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Last year as in 2021 or 2022? Any comments on towing a 20’ aluminum bay boat with a 115 Merc on the back?

Last edited by K1500; 11/08/21.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We have a 2021 trd pro and have towed a 4 seater side by side through the Colorado and NM mountains with no problems. This is the second one we’ve owned and love it. I prefer it to my tundra and Tacoma. Build quality just seems better.

IC B2

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good to hear. I’m guessing the trailer with side by side has to run at least 2,000 pounds? A Yamaha Viking 4 seat is around 1,800 pounds all by itself.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
We purchased a 2021 Ford Ranger and just simply love it. It rides good, have plenty of power, and was very reasonable to buy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

May have mentioned before..the 4R is very popular & holds value well..thus Toyota

Whether looking lightly used or new...take a peek at the Lexus GX series

Bought the wife an '11 Premium 2 yrs ago...now has 114K on it & she luvs it

Basically a 4R on steriods.....built in Japan..4.6L 301 horse V8...the rear 'barn door' is my only complaint

They changed the front grill on the '14+ years..I truely prefer the '10-13 years

Mark Levinson sound system with 17 speakers is awesome

What I've seen used GX prices are less than 4R prices...and you get much more bang for your buck

pic..wife's '11 GX

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2018 and pulled a small 18 foot camper trailer with no issues. So far I had zero issues with mine putting on 80K since new. Only thing that I dont like is 20mpg.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tikkanut

May have mentioned before..the 4R is very popular & holds value well..thus Toyota

Basically a 4R on steriods.....built in Japan..4.6L 301 horse V8...the rear 'barn door' is my only complaint

They changed the front grill on the '14+ years..I truely prefer the '10-13 years

What I've seen used GX prices are less than 4R prices...and you get much more bang for your buck

pic..wife's '11 GX

Does the GX have skid plates and whatever other protective equipment the 4Runner would have? I guess another way to put it would be, is the GX as tough as a 4Runner for off-pavement use?

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My wife’s GX460 seems well protected with skid plates. They are full time 4WD also. When she wants a new vehicle I am keeping it to repurpose into my hunting rig. We’ve had 4Runners, Suburbans, and Exhibitions but we like this GX460 better than all of them.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

pic..wife's '11 GX

You set that up very nice and clean!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have a 2016 4R Trail Premium. Talk all the time how well it handles and a term we have used more than once it is "nimble". However I don't think the 4Runner provides a capable towing platform (it can do it but not well). That said when I tow I use a F350 SRW and that truck has spoiled me. So that is the basis of my perspective.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker

pic..wife's '11 GX

You set that up very nice and clean!

Thx------but remember this is my wife's DD.......not mine

My DD is an '03 LX

Last edited by tikkanut; 11/09/21.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Crusader

pic..wife's '11 GX

Does the GX have skid plates and whatever other protective equipment the 4Runner would have? I guess another way to put it would be, is the GX as tough as a 4Runner for off-pavement use?

GX 460 vs 4R........???????? I'm no expert

4R will have the 4.0L or the 3.5L V6 (correct me if wrong)

GX 460 is powered by the 4.6L V8 w/301 horse--6 speed AT w/center diff lock

4R has most likely been off road and the snot kicked outta it (maybe)

GX...some soccer mom owned it...never seen dirt.....serviced as scheduled by Lexus

Off road equipped ? GX has a decent skid plate system prob similar to 4R

My choice would be the '10-13 GX...'14 plus grill sucks

Aftermarket stuff is great for either trucks

As some know...my DD is an '03 LX 470....AKA the Toyota Land Cruiser---am extra beefy GX series

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2020-toyota-4runner-vs-2020-lexus-gx-460-whats-the-difference

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

actually currently watching for '96-97 LX or LC

wife thinks I'm crazy...............

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-lexus-lx450-34/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If you plan off-road adventure, get a 4Runner 4X4 with rear locker.

NRA lifetime member
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We have a 2016 SR5 premium, been very happy with it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Consumer Reports doesn’t recommend them and hasn’t changed their description of them in the April Auto Issue in the last few years. Choppy, unsettled ride with body lean and a thirsty, rough 4L engine. They sure hold their resale value though. I looked at a 2017 TRO Off Road 4Runner yesterday with 50K miles on it listed for over $46,000.!

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two 4runners or one LX... same price.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got one in July and paid MSRP on the window sticker. A few months later I looked on KBB and its trade in value was equal to what I paid for it, and the outright sale price was supposed to be 4-5K higher.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I dont like the 100 series toyota or lexus badged land cruiser; because its too much of a deparure from the land cruiser recipe.

When something says landcruiser, i want to see a solid front axle and an inline six

Torsion spring ifs and a small v8, no thanks. I built a high compression, full header exauhst 1fz-fe for an lx-450. That torque monster was sweet. Smoothest engine at idle ive ever built.

Last month I put about 20 hours into another grandady 2f, going into a 1983 fj40. We were halted by a nation wide shortage for rings and bearings.

4runnners are a much more vesatile rig. With partime 4wd and smaller engine, youll see at least 50% better fuel economy over the gas hog 100 series.

100 series getting nuetered by an 80 series:

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not brand new but my 2011 Trail tows just fine. I doubt I'd want to tow more then say 4,000 but its decent for what you need. My boat/trailer all ready to roll is about 2600 lbs and I tow it all the time and it works great. Mine has been bullet proof as well, I like em:)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Last year as in 2021 or 2022? Any comments on towing a 20’ aluminum bay boat with a 115 Merc on the back?

Last year for the V6 engine will be 21 or more likely 22. I believe these are rated up to 5000 lbs for tow cap, but it is my wife's DD so no experience there yet. If we tow, we use my Tundra.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
Consumer Reports doesn’t recommend them and hasn’t changed their description of them in the April Auto Issue in the last few years. Choppy, unsettled ride with body lean and a thirsty, rough 4L engine. They sure hold their resale value though. I looked at a 2017 TRO Off Road 4Runner yesterday with 50K miles on it listed for over $46,000.!

Probably fitting for the vast majority of shoppers.

"Wife wants a new car and mentioned a Tahoe or 4Runner."

Other than towing (maybe) and "offroad" use, I bet most people would enjoy a crossover like a Highlander more than a 4Runner. Since a Tahoe was mentioned with the 4Runner, it would seem to me that off road capability isn't a priority.

I think 4Runners are very cool vehicles, but a crossover with AWD can be very nice. Better ride, easier ingress/egress, etc. And around town, gravel roads, etc. AWD can be handy compared to a part-time RWD 4X4. No spinning tires, always ready.

Now on a rugged trail, I'd take a 4x4 with low range, but if we're talking cars then the crossovers have some merit worth considering. Unless the wife is worried about the new vehicle looking "rugged", then I'd look at a CUV.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/02/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
4th_point, I agree 100% with your post. While most of us guys would opt for the lumpier 4Runner, it is for the wife and the wife that I know with a new Highlander loves the thing. When we were shopping, I took Sweetness to the Toyota place and she wanted no part of a 4Runner. I know Rock Chuck and RockyRaab have them and may weigh in. RockyRaab has the hybred Highlander AWD and at 35 mpg, that is sure the one that I'd be looking at for our next vehicle. My days of tearing up a 4x4 are over and with a trailer hitch pulling an atv, I'm sure not seeing the need to go rock crawling like the earlier video

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Full disclosure, my wife has a 2018 Highlander AWD. I debated getting a 4Runner with third row instead, but since we already had a Tundra we went for something a bit better for a daily driver with little kids. I've never owned a 4Runner but my friends have had various vintages of them, including the latest.

Truth be told, I have really come to like the Highlander but it took me awhile to get used to it and for the engine and tranny controllers to adapt to my driving. It was a dog at first, but got 21 MPG around town and much better on the highway. Engine response and shift points are now much more aggressive and it has dropped down to 17 - 18 MPG around town. Still better than my Tundra on the highway!

The Highlander doesn't have sporty handling on pavement, but I've driven it hard on gravel and it does surprisingly well especially since this model doesn't have torque vectoring. It is by no means a 4x4, but I have taken it on the beach and in some mud. The "diff lock" actually works and has gotten me out of deep sand. I figured it was just a gimmick. Ground clearance isn't too bad, but there are no skid plates and the front chin sticks way out there. Even so, I took it down to a friend's ranch in CA to shoot ground squirrels and could get everywhere I needed to go on the ranch roads. Pretty good for a car, and I got 26 - 27 MPG on the drive back with a cargo box on the roof rack.

I've never owned a hybrid, and really haven't considered them but the latest hybrid Highlander seems like a great car. And it looks like the traction control system is even better than the non-hybrid models. The RAV4 Prime also looks like a fun little car as well.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/03/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It would have zero problems pulling that.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We've got a 2016 4R SR5 premium and have been very happy with it...but we are a family full of 4 runners and tacos.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We are a 2 4Runner family. 2016 trail premium and 2019 off-road premium. Absolutely the 2 best vehicles we have owned in 30 years. We live very rural and they get it done.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Windfall

Yeah, I agree!

My Youngest son bought one new two yrs ago, just before Covid, and before the Crazy Political scene really got crazy,
along with the Car buying Sh*t Show, and everything else that goes along with that, and he likes it, and, will try to hold onto it a while!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve had an SR5 since 2014. It has everything I wanted except moonroof. It’s been basically used to haul the the wife and I along with the 4 pups to the cabin. Never wanted it for anything more. About 29K mikes on it now. Sits in the garage under a cover when not used. It’s been perfect for our needs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a TRD Pro in Lime Rush color today. Wife was even a fan. $65k price I’m seeing online for them makes me less of a fan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For $65k it better be pulling a new SxS.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have Been a Chevy guy my whole life
I wouldn’t buy anything out of government motors
These days
I have two kids with newer Toyota 4 runners
When my daughter bought her new one I bought her old one 2004 I think 250k miles on it and other than a few dings and scratches and a warn drivers seat it still runs and drives like bran new
My biggest complaint is room. It’s small
But this will never be able to replace my k 5 blazer
They both
Do
About 15 mpg

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There’s a 21 TRD w/ 9k on it near me and I thought the $50k price was crazy! No idea what my Sequoia is worth but would be hard to give up the 3rd row seats.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

You won't have any problem with that at all. I towed a 2003 18' Lund Pro-v with a 140hp and 9.9 kicker, loaded with gear all over between MN and WI with a 2004 4-runner.

Last edited by tzone; 08/02/22.

Camp is where you make it.
D
D
I tow a travel trailer with mine. Dry weight islike 3,400 so I’m definitely pushing the limits with the 4R. I added an electric trailer brake controller. Before next year I’ll add air bags to aid in sag and a trans oil cooler to aid in longevity.

Anyways, I love it. I always thought I’d get an F150 but so far not disappointed with this by any mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 61 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.