Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Sounds gay, but I always thought one of those collapsible umbrellas would be a smart move for at least getting shelter out of the rain. If I wasn't scared of getting zapped by lightning, I would have tried it by now. Especially in the mountains where a storm rolls over the hill, you could get under a tree, have a snack under your umbrella and wait it out.

They do a great job. I don't get a chance to use one regularly, but I've camped out under one on several occasions. It is amazing how bad it can get and I stay dry.

I've got a tower blind that is open to the sky-- no roof. I mounted a 2X2 to one of the posts and drilled a hole for one. I took 2.5 hours of graupel/snow/rain sitting under the umbrella and only got wet from the knees down. When the weather lifted, a nice fat doe walked out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not necessary, but it does make you more comfortable which in turn helps you hunt harder. Under armour style underwear and long sleeve t-shirts make a difference for any hunt. Breathable waders vs neoprene is no contest.

All funny however in light of the girl child's pink rainbow and unicorn hunting pack and purple flower rubber boots. She really helps stock the freezer, though.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Nothing like a bunch of losers whining about stuff they can’t afford. Who cares what someone else wears anyway?

Just like the macho hunters that brag about how nasty the hike was to get where they elk hunt and then say they wouldn’t shoot anything in that thick stuff.

Do you go to Rodeo Drive and throw rocks at all the rich people driving expensive cars too?

With many of the old major players getting out of waterfowl clothing (Columbia, Herters, Cabelas, etc) what tends to be left is crap that is semi-waterproof or way thicker/heavier than it needs to be. Personally I prefer to layer rather than a big bulky jacket. I have no issues with someone spending $1000 on a pair or waders or $700 on a waterfowl jacket system, it's their money and if they think it's justified I'll just have to disagree based on my use. There should be other options that are reasonably priced cosnidering most of it is made overseas with cheap labor. As for being able to afford, well I could easily afford that gear and many other things that are not practical for my use. Fiscal responsiblity seems to be a lost concept to a lot or Americans these days....we buy things we can't afford, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like....keeping up with the Joneses and all

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s all relative. I don’t hardly ever wear camo but have started wearing better clothes hunting, but not the hunting specific brands.

It is funny to watch people bitch about the price of this or that, but have 10 redundant rifles, drive an $80,000 truck, etc.

We all place importance on different things.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FatCity67

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
One time I tried bowhunting like that. I learned real fast that shorts and sagebrush don't mix. It took me 30 min to have my legs scratched up and I spent the rest of the day with my legs burning from sweat running into the scratches.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

One time I tried bowhunting like that. I learned real fast that shorts and sagebrush don't mix. It took me 30 min to have my legs scratched up and I spent the rest of the day with my legs burning from sweat running into the scratches.

I'm sorry.

😜😁

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's why ya' carry gaiters. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen

Attaboy

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Bodies like this is why clothing needs to be worn. Maybe you don’t think so, but anyone seeing you would agree.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gore owns Sitka. Since the patent on Goretex expired they have to make up money somehow. Glorified polyester for the most part and selling for hundreds a piece. In defense of them they do have a great warranty.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Bodies like this is why clothing needs to be worn. Maybe you don’t think so, but anyone seeing you would agree.

You know you want some of big sexy.

I'd make it hurt so good.

And yes with my gorilla arms I'd give you the reach around of a lifetime.

"Maybe we're all happy."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I mostly wear old wool, but I've picked up a few higher end pieces over on the slide for much less than new $. It's amazing how many people buy all new high end clothes for some big western hunt and then barely get out of the truck. Then they decide to sell it before it's a year old. But I digress.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lots of bargains to be had in milsurp stuff. I found Goretex pants and a parka, both brand new, for about $100 total. The Euro-stuff has zippers on the wrong side, but who cares? Excellent quality. I also have a couple of sets of fatigues in Woodland that cost a fraction of the price of “hunting” clothes. Brand new as well. Gotta read the reviews to avoid the ones with short legs and such. Polypropylene long johns are another bargain, available in different weights.

I’ve always struggled to find gloves that are big enough. Milsurp to the rescue again. Nomex flight gloves with goatskin palms in 2xl are a perfect fit.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don’t buy camo. It’s cheaper

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a few pieces of Sitka. gear and I love it. I have a Kelvin down hooded coat, a heavyweight hoody and a lightweight hood and a pair of their baselay pants i also have a pair of puffy pants from an off brand company. I dont wear the heavy outwewear until i get to my stand but the stuff keeps me super warm once it's on

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Style points and brand name tags count big time for alot of nuggs.
Especially Neophyte types posing for cred.
Clothing cant make up for lack of knowledge or experience.
But looking the role is a big thing to many.

They still suck at woodscraft, reading sign and terrian, and marksmanship......

I might buy new camo pants and a shirt every 3 to 4 yrs.
Do some mods on em.

Baylor chewed up my rain jacket.... Frigging cheesehound..

Need a new one 50 or 60 bucks.

My orange vest and hat...
Lol!!
Schit almost 23 yrs old.
Sewn up and repaired a dozen times..

Hunting boots
Baylor knawed the toe off my ECWC,s ... Frigging cheesehound.

Got a 20 buck pair of very lightly worn rockies at a yard sale find.

Fold up hunting stool
Gotta mod those to lower for proper knee to elbow height.
Last about 6 to 8 yrs on avg, unless it gets snagged in briars in a overgrown clear cut at 430 am and you dont realize it.

My day pack..
I traded a NG recruiter like 8 or 9 Army coffee mugs for one of his NG daypacks back in 98.
Give away schit to nuggs at some combined service recruiting event.

I'm pretty fugging Spartan in what I use and will spend.
It has to work and be functional....

Paying for a name for style points versus lower priced gear that is equal or better makes zero sense other than trying to play a role many times.

See the runway model types in their hunting clothes all the time here in Tn and on FTCKY.
Usually with a gypsy wagon pack full of schit and a climber all cluster fugged attached going up a firebreak.
Some sally wagon from gunsmoke schit....

Same types with all the hunting stickers on their back window.

They dont kill much or at all...
Kinda like these types in the Army.

Last edited by renegade50; 11/09/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pink elmer fudd cap

😂😂👏🏻

“Hey can u see me”?

Yep 🤪🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keebler’s backpack had 35 lbs of whatnot in it and they only hunt 200 yards from their pickup

🤦🏻🤣

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Good will. Pendleton or copy shirt, sunday go to meetin wool pants.

Or spend a fortune on mossy oak that will not blend in with Colorado terrain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

“How many quickloaders you got” ?

“WOLVERINES”!!!!!!!!!!!! 💁‍♂️🤟🏼😱🤯🕺🏽🤠🦌

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

88 members (7x57Hunter, 35, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 990 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,500
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.