Yep 🤪🤣

It's "aged orange" man....
😄😄😄😄

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 11/09/21.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do some pretty cold weather hunting and have a few "better" pieces of hunting clothes. some of that new battery heated stuff looks awful tempting!
Years ago (15-20) Cabelas used to sell "Goretex Thinsulate Jeans" I acquired 3-4 pairs over the years. They are my go to hunting pants and cold weather fishing pants. Kahki colored, warm, waterproof, breathable and comfortable! Best hunting pants I've ever tried. Mine have some rips, tears, repairs, etc but I still love em! Bloody pants leg? hose it off! Only place to sit is wet? sit down, they're waterproof! Good for a late fall football game too!
15 or so years ago I bought a Cabelas Orange Parka. Thinsulate and Goretex. Zip out orange jacket liner, plenty of pockets, detachable hood, warm, waterproof, versatile, and comfortable.I'm not a fan of Camo, never really was. Especially all the new stuff. just my opinion.....
What's the purpose of camo pants, underwear, long underwear, belt, knife, rifle sling, shirt, vest, jacket etc, then to cover it all with blaze orange? seems stupid to me.
When I was a kid we wore heavy canvas coats/vests and pants for ducks and Pheasants. I have no problem spending good money on quality heavy wool socks, boots, gloves, and hat!
All that being said, the prices of new stuff is ridiculous and mostly all of it seems to be crap made in China. If it's from China it should be about 10-20% of what they charge.
I'm 62 and my stuff still has another 10-15+ years in it. I'm set.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good gear allows you to have fun at 10k ' ASL in a blowing snow storm, if you play hard in the mountains it is worth the price of admission. There will be days this winter when my boots and clothing cost more than my rifle and scope. All are optimized for what I enjoy the most.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by slumlord
Pink elmer fudd cap

😂😂👏🏻

“Hey can u see me”?

Yep 🤪🤣

It's "aged orange" man....
😄😄😄😄

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You are like Agent Orange.

The deer you come in contact with die many years later.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Check out the prices of a Filson Double Mackinaw. Glad I bought one when I did.

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I refuse to wear camo that feels like your wearing silk pajamas.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Leatherneck

Ain’t Filson, but it’s not $600, either....

https://stsranchwear.com/collections/men/products/mens-smitty

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by Leatherneck

Ain’t Filson, but it’s not $600, either....

https://stsranchwear.com/collections/men/products/mens-smitty

The hell am I going to do with that taking a wet boat ride in January on the Pamlico Sound? I suppose I could wear it while watching the new Yellowstone episodes and feel at home.

I did find a Frogg Toggs Pilot II MO bottomlands camo jacket in my size for $70 shipped from eBay, new with tags. Normally a $200 jacket that is waterproof, breathable and has a lifetime warranty. Reasonably priced, waterproof and breathable are a hard find in something that isn't rubber or PVC.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple years ago I bought a Filson Tin Cruiser. Heavy duty shell for work in soggy 20-40F weather.

It's alright, haven't put a hole in it yet but for close to $300 less I prefer H/H Impertech.

Of course you don't want to be wearing the H/H while fixing fence.

Yellastone and all you gotta watch that barbwire..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Couple years ago I bought a Filson Tin Cruiser. Heavy duty shell for work in soggy 20-40F weather.

It's alright, haven't put a hole in it yet but for close to $300 less I prefer H/H Impertech.

Of course you don't want to be wearing the H/H while fixing fence.

Yellastone and all you gotta watch that barbwire..

LOL. Always wanted one of those Sam. I’m too tight to buy one. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Good gear allows you to have fun at 10k ' ASL in a blowing snow storm, if you play hard in the mountains it is worth the price of admission. There will be days this winter when my boots and clothing cost more than my rifle and scope. All are optimized for what I enjoy the most.

YMMV

mike r

This is where that money is well spent. Not weighted down and can still move freely in comfort.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
C, at the rate it's been raining here it'll last me about 6 lives...lol

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just bought some coveralls and boots for grandkid, not too bad of a price for a growing boy. Have about $210 invested at this time.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
buy during off season clearance sales. Save 50 per cent

Words of wisdom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think society would benefit from calling this what it is. Prices aren't high - the value of the dollar is low.

To phrase it correctly helps keep the cause in focus.

Printing trillions of dollars out of thin air has consequences that are well understood and predictable because they're unavoidable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When the "value" box is larger than the "price" box...I buy.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can pretty well tell the weather and topography you frequently hunt in by how you respond to this tread.

Prior to Sitka and the like, I bought a lot of mountaineering clothing to hunt in. Prior to that, I did it the hard way with carhartts and the like.

Clothing made for the Fudd army won’t cut it, and can even get you killed. But it’s fine for an awful lot of hunts.

But hike a couple of predawn hours in a nasty blizzard to catch feeding elk and you’ll start to get an idea. Then when you get up to a high point and slow down, notice how you don’t get as cold because the fabrics are wicking the sweat off your skin, and you were able to carry up some really warm outer layers to boot. Pretty soon, you’re dry. Rinse and repeat all season and the fabrics still look new for the most part. You’ll be willing to spend the money too.

If you go hunting and aren’t extremely uncomfortable to mildly worried in your Fudd army attire from time to time, then you’re probably going to have a hard time seeing the justification for Sitka.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore wool for years, Filson, Sleeping Indian and King of the Mountain, then I discovered KUIU and have not worn wool since. It's mainly the weight and comfort, makes a big difference if you are climbing or walking distance. I tried Sitka but just doesn't fit as well, I wear KUIU camo up top, solids on the bottom. Mostly I buy the stuff on sale when I can as I have most of what I need, picked up a new pair of pants Monday on their 25% off sale. I recently bought a KUIU rain jacket and it's so quite and comfortable that I wear it as an outer layer to block the wind. My father killed a truck load of deer in his life in his Dickies work clothes, never owned a piece of camo, and his 12 ga shotgun so I know you don't need fancy clothes to be successful but life is tough and why not be warm and comfortable when you're doing the thing you like most (at least in my case) and be comfortable. A lot of the people here that say you don't need fancy camo are the same ones hunting with rifles costing $2k +++ so it's just a matter of what you like.

Last edited by 257Bob; 11/10/21.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
“I wish I had a [bleep] clothing”. For some reason that though hasn’t crossed my mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Since everyone is griping about the prices of everything, I’d like to gripe about the cost of hunting clothing and gear. I’ve been looking for a new waterfowl jacket or shell and the prices on some of this stuff is insane. $400 for a waterproof shell jacket and $300 for a liner (Sitka)! I’m not sure how we got to the point that average folks are perfectly acceptable paying that much for a jacket. There has always been the high end gear but it was generally not well represented in the field but I see lots of it in the field now. Then you have smaller companies trying to break into the market by pricing themselves in the same bracket, which is an odd strategy to me. Appears some apparel manufacturers think the higher you price it the better it will appear to be to consumers. I guess I’m too cheap and behind the times

The reality is that, if bought correctly, quality gear will last a lifetime. I like Filson products and have had much of it over 20 years. It still functions like new. That includes shells, liners, hunting pants, insulated caps, wool undergarments (full length) etc etc. None of this was cheap, but it has lasted for many hunting trips without a lot of sign of wear. None of it was cheap, and I was paying $400 for a tin cloth shell twenty years ago. But it's still with me.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.