Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
I was thinking of getting into reloading to make shooting cheaper, but when I did a tally of all the costs, it was still cheaper to buy factory ammo (and that's not even including the equipment necessary like dies and presses etc.). Maybe it's because I'm trying to reload 300 WBY Mag? Or maybe it's because I'm trying source the component parts from the various popular sites like Sportsmans Warehouse, MidwayUSA, (because I'm a newb and don't know where to get the good deals). But either way, it's cheaper to buy factory ammo than to reload.

Another reason I was looking to reload was to get cartridges that aren't produced anymore, such as the 168gr. TTSX in a 300 WBY.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Like I said, I've never done it before. Also, I was trying to get into it without guidance from someone with experience in the matter, so maybe that's a problem too.

Costs:
Re-use brass I've saved, no cost.
Primers: 1000ct @ $34.99/box = $0.03per
Barnes 308 TTSX 168gr: $47.49/box50 = $0.95per
IMR 4831: 3632grams (8lb) @ ~81.3gr/bullet = $5.93per (IMR 7828 is even more expensive, if you could find either one)
Total = $6.92 per round

Granted, this is for a round that is no longer available; I can't seem to find anyone even listing the 168gr. TTSX in 300 WBY. But even if I swap that out for a cheaper bullet at $0.45per it's still an expensive round. This is also excluding the fact that I can't actually find the powder to do it. It's not available anywhere I've found on the internet. Powder seems to be the most expensive part, so I can't imagine it's much cheaper to reload anything else. Maybe smaller cartridges that don't use as much, but still.

Am I missing something or has reloading costs gone up so much in the past year, that I've started looking, that it's not really feasible to reload to save money? (Again, that's excluding having to pay for all the equipment to start up, even used, from scratch).

Thanks for any input.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check your powder math...

Grains, not grams. 7000 grains to the pound. 56,000 gr in an 8 lb'er.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are 7000 grains (weight) of powder in a 1lb can. By your numbers that is 86 shots for a 1lb can of powder.

Yes it is cheaper when shooting a cartridge that only uses 45 or even 25 grains of powder.

My loads for 38 Spl use about 4 grains, so about 1750 rounds per lb of powder.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think it’s a lot cheaper to reload if you want a premium bullet like the 168 Barnes. It is the bullet I load for a pair of 300 Weatherby Kleinguenthers and a 300 Win mag. I load for around 30 calibers, enjoy reloading a lot.

L
OP Offline
L
OOPS!!! I think I saw that at one point, but promptly forgot it and went back to thinking grams vs. grains. Like I said, I've never re-loaded before. Thanks for the heads up on that. What a newb!

Ok, I redid the math and it comes to about $0.38per round on powder.
Approximate cost is $1.37 per round total. Yes, that's much cheaper than $3-$5 per round of factory ammo.

Still, I'd need to get all the equipment as overhead. Maybe I'll start looking for used stuff here and there to get started. Anybody have any sites they like where this kind of stuff is sold used?

Last edited by LikesToHunt; 11/09/21.
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
If your main reason for getting into reloading is to save money best stick with factory stuff and forget about reloading in todays market reloading supply's are scarce and IF you can find what you need it will be expensive......Good luck.....Hb

L
OP Offline
L
It wasn't the main reason, but it was A reason. The other reason was to reload cartridge's they don't make in the factory anymore for the 300 WBY. Another reason because it looks interesting to do. Also with the shortages, it's tough to even find factory ammo. If I ever do get my hands on some powder and the other components, in the future if there are more shortages, it might be easier to source individual parts provided you've got the parts that aren't available. But then that's why stuff is scare, people are stocking up what they can when they can...that and global shipping and manufacturing problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’re not going to find primers for .03 ea, .08 - .10 is more like it right now.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't need to buy everything at once, just keep as you like and you don't have to buy everything new just watch the classifieds or do a WTB. I started out in 2000 when I bought the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit on sale, all ya need after that is dies and components. I have changed some things since but still use the same press today.

Last edited by DANNYL; 11/09/21.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The classifieds here are an excellent resource for reloading equipment and components. Also, small local gunshows, yard sales and estate sales are very good for gear on a budget. It's easy to find stuff to reload with, just don't get too attached to a particular powder, primer, bullet right now. If that is your thing, creating a very specific load, just buy the loaded ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After many years away, I am getting back into hunting and reloading. To acquire the equipment I need, I have purchased from the classifieds here on 24HR and I have bought off of eBay. I’ve had to be patient and often did not win the auctions I wanted, but I have established my price limits and lived within budget. I’ve picked up a Bonanza Co-ax press, Belding and Mull powder measure, Dillon scales, RCBS powder trickler, both a vibrating tumbler and an ultrasonic cleaner. Dies from Bonanza, Redding, Forster and Hornady.

I’ve also picked up brass and bullets from the classifieds here and also purchased bullets from Shooters’ Pro Shop.

I haven’t purchased any primers or powder yet, but I’m keeping my eyes open and waiting.

Hope this info is helpful.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys that think factory ammo (especially for the 300WBY) is cheaper than handloading, need to keep buying and shooting factory ammo. No need for you to start loading. Saves more components for the guys that know what they are talking about..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most reloading equipment is not worn out because of use. You can find good deals on used equipment.
Find a mentor to help you determine the necessities you will need.
The accuracy of most rifles can me improved with reloading. My goal. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tools & equipment are becoming available at normal prices again. Powder & primers not so much. Not a good time to start, but with patience & some extra $$ it can be done. A suggestion is to borrow or buy at least one reloading manual & read it from start to finish. Not necessarily all the load data, but the chapters with actual text. Nosler, Lyman, Sierra, Hornady, & Berger are all good. This is to give you an idea what is involved. It may be a good hobby for you, or maybe not. A certain amount of care & discernment is absolutely vital. Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you don't already have a supply of components it's too late to begin now.

Reloading sections across the country are still mostly empty.

Good luck.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Tools & equipment are becoming available at normal prices again. Powder & primers not so much. Not a good time to start, but with patience & some extra $$ it can be done. A suggestion is to borrow or buy at least one reloading manual & read it from start to finish. Not necessarily all the load data, but the chapters with actual text. Nosler, Lyman, Sierra, Hornady, & Berger are all good. This is to give you an idea what is involved. It may be a good hobby for you, or maybe not. A certain amount of care & discernment is absolutely vital. Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.

Good post. The how to sections are vital to a newbie wanting to learn how to do things right. Even though it seems that a lot of us approach handloading differently. Still, it takes a certain type of mentality and person to load their own. Its not only about being meticulous but finding what works and keeping things as simple as you can... Learn safe loading habits, like keeping one kind of powder on the table when you are loading. No double guessing things, or you will be in trouble. Learn that brass prep is crucial to consistency, then don't skimp on working up a good load either. Some components can still be had for good deals, you just got to know where to look and how to find stuff. Other things are still hard to find, but eventually will be back on the shelves.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't count the pennies but to me reloading justifies shooting a lot more and I can tailor loads to the rifle and application. Other than 556 I haven't shot a factory loaded rifle round in the last 40 years.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I don't count the pennies but to me reloading justifies shooting a lot more and I can tailor loads to the rifle and application. Other than 556 I haven't shot a factory loaded rifle round in the last 40 years.

Exactly. I also shoot almost all handloads. I trust my own stuff far more than I do factory loaded crap..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Reloading to save money - that's funny! haha

Accuracy, picking the bullet you want, and shooting a lot more are the main advantages.

Its a year round hobby.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by gte901m
Reloading to save money - that's funny! haha

Accuracy, picking the bullet you want, and shooting a lot more are the main advantages.

Its a year round hobby.

Good post and absolutely correct 👍......Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,545 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,400
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.