Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 95 year FIL was a sailor on the cruiser class aircraft carrier, Belleau Wood, in the Pacific War. The ship was hit by a Kamikaze. They managed to save the ship. Here are a couple of links about that ship and it's action in the war.

FIL was on the flight deck, was knocked off deck by the blast, clinging to a rail with both hands until shipmates could pull him back on board. He sustained serious hand injuries requiring hospitalization and plastic surgery. He always had problem with scar tissue.

He has an 8th grade education, learned the auto body repair business, eventually opened his own shop and was very successful. He raised two sons and two daughters. Both sons are computer scientists, one with Boeing Military, the other with Disney in Orlando. The girls are both school teachers, I married one.

Great folks from Wichita, KS.

DF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HX6O5tqv4

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/b/belleau-wood-cv-24-i.html

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Great story.

It must be absolutely terrifying to be on fire at sea.

I guess it would give you a great determination however.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 11/10/21.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God Bless Our Veterans ! And Thanks for your Service !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
We need to honor all our vet's and I for one thank them for their service.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Great story.

Thanks.

He's special to us. And, he's always been one tough dude, quite focused in his life pursuits.

And a fire at sea has to be scary. Ain't no where to go, except maybe the bottom of the ocean.

DF

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Great story.

Thanks.

He's special to us. And, he's always been one tough dude, quite focused in his life pursuits.

And a fire at sea has to be scary. Ain't no where to go, except maybe the bottom of the ocean.

DF

Everyone on a ship or boat is a firefighter first.

Damage control was a HUGE factor in the victory in the Pacific.

Glad your FIL is still around.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Scary, for sure.

Forgot to mention a ship filled with airplanes, fuel, bombs, rockets and live ammo...

Fire gets to some of that and it's over....

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's our 95 yr old sailor wearing his ship's cap.

For years they had a Belleau Wood reunion, but now not enough left to have one.

I found out recently that there were two officers from here in Central Louisiana, also on that ship.

FIL was just a youngster, probably 18 or so. Those guys would have been older and of course, they've passed on.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was reading comments following the first link I posted. It's amazing what those guys went through. One mentioned his sailor had hearing loss. Ours does too. He has a lot of trouble hearing, doesn't tolerate hearing aids. Some of his hearing loss is from nerve damage and those don't do too well with hearing aids.

One posted on the video link that his relative thought he had been hit in the back of his head with a log. It was a human leg.

I read that the footage of sailors fighting fire on deck was taken by a sailor with an 8mm camera. It's reported that his reel of film was found in his personal effects when he passed.

Some of it was taken from another ship. I think we're fortunate to have that documentation. Those guys typically don't talk a lot about when happened. I did get from FIL about him being blown off the deck, holding on to a rail with both hands until rescued. He was a private pilot, was interested in planes, and did talk about the kinds of planes they had on the ship. And, that's about it.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of
America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

A sincere thanks to all Veteran's🇺🇸

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MPat70
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of
America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

A sincere thanks to all Veteran's🇺🇸

That's for sure.

FIL and MIL were in Wichita, all their friends and support group had passed on or moved. There was no family left locally, so we moved them to Baton Rouge, where there is a lot of family support. Flying commercial would been tough, as she is barely mobile, making connections, getting her on and off a plane would have been a nightmare, getting her on this one wasn't easy. We used my business pard's Beechcraft Premier. His 24 yr old son is the pilot, has 1,400 hours and a full ticket. I was amazed how well that young man handled that plane. Wichita to Baton Rouge, two hours. Silk smooth landings.

I asked him while in the air, Wichita to Baton Rouge, how fast we were going, He said we had a 50 mph tail wind, were moving at a ground speed of 574 mph at 37,000 feet. Pretty neat. We flew into Yingling FBO at Wichita ICT. That's an old FBO. Yingling knew Clyde Cessna, Bill Lear, etc., vintage photos lining the walls. The plane we flew was made there. Wichita has been an aircraft center since aircraft were a thing. Pretty neat experience.

FIL thanked me for funding the trip, although it was on his dime. His portfolio is pretty healthy, his youngest son, the Boeing guy, has power of attorney, pays all the bills. Taking on fuel is usually around $1,000, they never top it off, which would make it pretty heavy. They take on the fuel they need for their next destination.

First photo is our pilot and co-pilot, also a great guy who was great help getting MIL on and off the plane. He was so patient and kind to her. You'd think she was his Mom. You can tell from their expressions, the folks enjoyed the trip.

DF

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Scary, for sure.

Forgot to mention a ship filled with airplanes, fuel, bombs, rockets and live ammo...

DF

Hell...them bastards would keep fighting it.

The Japs would second guess themselves on a return trip.....the fires would be out and the ship would be steaming along.

Tell him thanks from the HI Line if you would.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Scary, for sure.

DF

Hell...them bastards would keep fighting it.

The Japs would second guess themselves on a return trip.....the fires would be out and the ship would be steaming along.

Tell him thanks from the HI Line if you would.

You got it and thanks.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the link to the Belleau Wood sailor's footage I referenced earlier.

DF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMob66BaInY

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Orlando BIL relayed a public service announcement, those over 60 should stay off their roof. FIL was on his roof at 80. Just the kinda guy he is, can fix about anything.

He can’t hear very well, gets a bit confused at times but is pretty agile for 95.

I would hope to be that good of shape if I make 95.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.