Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I used to have a Ruger Single Six and it got stolen in a burglary, thinking of getting a replacement. The steel Ruger revolvers have gotten expensive and it was not shot that much, but did like it. Looking at the Heritge Roiugh Rider or the Ruger Wrangler.

The trigger is nicer on the Heritage but there have been complaints with some on parts breakage and the finish wearing off, also the company is owned by Taurus and they have slow customer service. The Wrangler is not setup for .22 magnum but the finish is better and I have owned many Rugers in the past and never had an issue, and people say that the warranty customer service is top notch. Money is tight right now so looking at these two budget guns, anyone have or experience with either and what would they prefer or recommend?

Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HE112
I used to have a Ruger Single Six and it got stolen in a burglary, thinking of getting a replacement. The steel Ruger revolvers have gotten expensive and it was not shot that much, but did like it. Looking at the Heritge Roiugh Rider or the Ruger Wrangler.

The trigger is nicer on the Heritage but there have been complaints with some on parts breakage and the finish wearing off, also the company is owned by Taurus and they have slow customer service. The Wrangler is not setup for .22 magnum but the finish is better and I have owned many Rugers in the past and never had an issue, and people say that the warranty customer service is top notch. Money is tight right now so looking at these two budget guns, anyone have or experience with either and what would they prefer or recommend?

Thanks.

Taurus' CS may be slow but the Heritage CS customer service is handled by them in FL, so that point is likely moot.

Both guns are about the same in terms of accuracy given equal barrel lengths. I think the Ruger is the better made gun,. It is also better made than the old Aluminum framed Colt Scouts were( and yes,I have owned and still own many Colt SA .22s)

The Ruger has a transfer bar and the Heritage has a hideous looking safety on the left side.

To me-it comes down to cost vs how much you value investing in American jobs and an American owned company. I would buy the Ruger before the Heritage. I just wish Ruger would offer longer barrel lengths.

Last edited by jk16; 11/12/21.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Had the Rough Rider years ago, currently have the Wrangler. Doing it all over again, I would buy... neither. Not impressed at all with either of them. Both feel cheap, and neither of them were remotely accurate at reasonable plinking distances (to be fair I need to shoot the Wrangler more, but so far it ain't looking good).

YMMV

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Both guns showed up in pistol classes. Of the two, Wrangler is better. Neither approximates a Single Six/Ten. Or a Smith 63.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Neither gun really impresses me. I'd probably go with the Ruger for their customer service, but if it wasn't for that, I'd probably pick the Heritage.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's another budget-friendly 22 revolver you may want to consider. Double action, and comes with 22 and 22 WMR cylinders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had both....still have the Heritage and would easily buy again.

Yup.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Here's another budget-friendly 22 revolver you may want to consider. Double action, and comes with 22 and 22 WMR cylinders.

That would be my direction, though I know some enjoy spending half the day to fire 24 rounds, but I'm not one of them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I looked at both of them as a plinker for my daughter and I liked the Heritage better. The Heritage had a better trigger and I like the hammer block safety, while it is not traditional it is very functional and practically fail safe. Accuracy has been more than acceptable from it, good enough to keep cans bouncing at 25 yards and that is what a plinker is all about to me. We have put about 5 bricks of misc cheap 22 ammo through it without a bobble. Also a 22 mag cylinder can be purchased from Heritage for around $20 if one is desired. The Heritage can be had on sale at $119 to $129 while the Ruger is in the $200 range, at least in my area.

Most of all though I like my Colt Frontier Scout that I have owned since 1962, it has literally had tens of thousands of rounds through it and has never given me any problem at all, it is light weight, easy to carry and accurate, but they can't be found in the plinker price range any more.

drover

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just looked at the link to the Diamondback Sidekick. It appears to be a copy of the Hi-Standard Double Nine except for a better rear sight on the Hi-Standard. I owned one of the Double Nines back in the day and always liked it, if the Diamondback is as good they may be on to something, the only issue I see is that the price is a bit above the Heritage and the Ruger.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If money is tight, don't get either. You may need it for something unexpected. Not the popular answer, but the rational one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sidekick revolver looks pretty cool.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That sidekick revolver looks pretty cool.

It reminds me of the Hi Standard Double Nine I had as a teenager. Having the 22 WMR cylinder also is a nice plus-up.

I'm definitely interested.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I still own a Double Nine

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I still own a Double Nine

One worth keeping.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a HS Double Nine mine was horrible out of time 70,s ERA

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a Ruger Single Six convertible in stainless. Great gun. Also have a Heritage and got the 22 mag cylinder for it. Three or four years ago Academy had them on sale at Christmas for $99 so got two. Gave one to my daughter. Liked the "Bar Keep" concept so cut the Heritage down to a 3" barrel and put a brass bead on it. Got a Wrangler last year, but really haven't shot it much. Like the weight much better than the Single Six. I really like that Sidekick and if I run across one, I'll get it in a heartbeat.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I had a HS Double Nine mine was horrible out of time 70,s ERA

I had a Double 9 in the 60s worked great. Could hit a penny more times than I missed at 50 feet. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Single six still has alloy.

If you want pure pleasure. Buy your flavor of heritage blued frame, take a scotchgaurd pad to the frame and make it look 100 years old and forget about it.

I’ve had all kinds of Single Sixes from 32 h&r to 22 LR, the actions suck to me. All of my Ruger Single Sixes are gone and I’m not looking back.

I like that Sidekick though

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 11/13/21.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My Single Six is stainless, Those are all steel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.