Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Marc
I am sure this has been discussed before but I can't get any useful results from the search feature so here goes again.

I have a 264 Win Mag with a fairly new barrel. The first round from a cold barrel always goes an inch or more above the rest of the group. It is aggravating for a new barrel to behave this way. Is there any wisdom out there on why a rifle does this? Is it related to the throat? Type of powder? Primers? Weight of barrel? My current load is a 120 TTSX over Magnum with a Federal 215.

You shooting 3 shot groups? Your load may not be fine tuned yet... It could also be pressure on the barrel. Is it properly glass bedded? How and what are you shooting off of? Good front rest and rear bag? No lead sleds I hope.. Good scope without parallax issues?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John0313
A properly constructed and bedded rifle will not have significant changes in zero between a cold shot, and it’s 2nd round. “Fouling shots” are important for benchrest or smallbore competitors, but the concept, adopted many outside of those accuracy demands, hides what is usually a bedding problem.

Some rifles will shoot better (smaller groups) with some degree of a dirty bore, but they will shoot to the same zero (if properly bedded).

I agree. There are some instances where the barrel has residual stresses from the machining process and that results in first shots being out of the group. Those barrels generally react better to a pressure point on the barrel, or a full length bedding process. Op can experiment with pressure on the forend tip to barrel and see if anything changes..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John0313
This is a strong contributor as well.

Repeatability on the bench, even with higher end rests is MUCH more difficult than most people appreciate. Ask any IBS competitor.

Just damn. Where they all come from.

Ex IBS and NBRSA shooter.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot once.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Among the other causes already listed, have encountered more than one rifle which had a slightly loose thread-connection between the barrel and action--one reason I suspect the reason a "tip-hump" pressure-point became popular with some rifle manufacturers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Marc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I gave my bench setup a lot of attention in the last couple weeks. My 30-06 started stringing horizontally so I suspected my bench setup first. That has been refined and the 30-06 stringing turned out to be caused by the scope. I use a heavy cast iron front rest inherited from an old benchrest shooter and a rear bag.

The most plausible culprit looks to be the barrels connection to the action. I will try shimming the barrel at the forend tip since that is easy to do.

If the front of the action is not square to the centerline of the action, would that also indicate that the threads are probably not concentric? That would seem to be a potential problem too?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One thing to note, upon firing the rifle starts moving before the bullet leaves the barrel
If the butt is dropping down your shoulder due to barrel lift and a not properly compacted rear bag this can result in a high shot.

After this first shot the bag is better settled and POI stabilizes

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 11/11/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Marc
I am sure this has been discussed before but I can't get any useful results from the search feature so here goes again.

I have a 264 Win Mag with a fairly new barrel. The first round from a cold barrel always goes an inch or more above the rest of the group. It is aggravating for a new barrel to behave this way. Is there any wisdom out there on why a rifle does this? Is it related to the throat? Type of powder? Primers? Weight of barrel? My current load is a 120 TTSX over Magnum with a Federal 215.

I'm still wondering about a clean bbl. The three rifles I shoot TSX's/TTSX's all shoot high with a clean bbl. A new SS 308 is the most dramatic--initially I refused to believe it was only a clean bbl thing, but have now repeated it 3 times. A clean bbl (not a 100% clean, but fairly clean) will shoot 4"+ above my normal POI where I'm sighted in at, and takes two or even three rounds to "walk" down to where it should be.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There was a time when the 264 shooters were a pretty exclusive club. The wisdom was passed around. Much was written about cleaning barrels . Barrel life was a hot topic, and clean barrels lasted longer. So with the short life of 264 barrels keeping them clean is very important.The first barrel on my 264 walked. I could take the targets with numbered holes, lay them on top of each other and they would line perfectly when using a good consistent powder. Besides that problem, it was high pressure and slow. .I had it changed.

Your barrel is no where near as bad. But it too suffers from stress. Group size is very important in Farky Class, but is totally meaningless in a hunting rifle.(It just makes load development and sighting in easier ) To get a three shot group, it takes three days to be realistic . Dead cold between each shot . So I would take the first shot as the true one and the rest as fliers. A single shot hunting rifle is not much of a handicap. The second shot is for putting the game out of it's misery.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 11/11/21.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Among the other causes already listed, have encountered more than one rifle which had a slightly loose thread-connection between the barrel and action--one reason I suspect the reason a "tip-hump" pressure-point became popular with some rifle manufacturers.

Yes - forward pressure is specifically designed to cover up for machining flaws, less than true actions and barrels, and failure to lap the barrel into the action. It's the last resort of manufacturers with machining problems.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The first round from a cold barrel always goes an inch or MORE above the rest of the group. It is aggravating for a new barrel to behave this way.

How much MORE than an inch does it shoot high?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Yeah the first lesson here is to never clean a bore. It's not needed and counterproductive.

This is so untrue. I have SEVERAL barrels that will put the first shot into the group from a clean cold barrel every time. These are barrels that have been verified clean with a bore scope. The OP is not talking about a rifle that shoots in the 1’s here. If the bore is dry and this rifle is doing this there is an internal barrel issue.

I had a rifle that would do this. Not only would it throw the first shot high, but pressure would be higher. That bore had a tight spot in it. That was corrected and the problem went away.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Yeah the first lesson here is to never clean a bore. It's not needed and counterproductive.

This is so untrue. I have SEVERAL barrels that will put the first shot into the group from a clean cold barrel every time. These are barrels that have been verified clean with a bore scope. The OP is not talking about a rifle that shoots in the 1’s here. If the bore is dry and this rifle is doing this there is an internal barrel issue.

I had a rifle that would do this. Not only would it throw the first shot high, but pressure would be higher. That bore had a tight spot in it. That was corrected and the problem went away.

So to get a zero, you fired one shot then completely cleaned the bore, or was your final zero out of a bore that had multiple shots fired through it?

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In all four of the rifles that I tested, the first shot did NOT shoot to a different point of impact to the other succeeding shots at 100 yards. It only shot slower. The second shot was also slower, but not as slow as the first shot. These were hunting rifles that typically would group 5 shots in 0.4" to 1" at 100 yards.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

So to get a zero, you fired one shot then completely cleaned the bore, or was your final zero out of a bore that had multiple shots fired through it?

I’m not sure what you are talking about

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dang.
To get your zero did you fire 1 shot and completely clean it and cool down, fire another shot and completely clean it and cool, then make scope correction fire 1 shot completely clean and cool. Repeating until you had final zero.
Or did you fire 2-3 shots, make scope adjustments and fire 2-3 more shots to get your final zero.
If you did condition one I would say you have a clean cold bore zero, if condition 2 then you don’t. Not hard.

Swifty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Have a Winchester Classic synthetic ( early 90's) that I placed a piece of plastic under each action screw and it solved this very issue I had. Now it will shoot first shot in in a half inch group any time I try it. I like to shoot on a windless day....only one shot and then next day fire that one shot and the two targets will be within half inch. What this did was allow me to run a dollar bill all way to the action....and before the bill would go only go about half way. There is a guy with a video on You Tube shows how to do this....remember my rifle when new came with some kind of plastic cement under the front screw and over time it had gone bad so I removed it and replace with a plastic shim cut out of a detergent bottle.....simple solution to my problem.

O.B.Wallace
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blueboy
Have a Winchester Classic synthetic ( early 90's) that I placed a piece of plastic under each action screw and it solved this very issue I had. Now it will shoot first shot in in a half inch group any time I try it. I like to shoot on a windless day....only one shot and then next day fire that one shot and the two targets will be within half inch. What this did was allow me to run a dollar bill all way to the action....and before the bill would go only go about half way. There is a guy with a video on You Tube shows how to do this....remember my rifle when new came with some kind of plastic cement under the front screw and over time it had gone bad so I removed it and replace with a plastic shim cut out of a detergent bottle.....simple solution to my problem.

Don’t believe in windless days, been shooting over flags of some sort for 30 years. I’ve got videos of flag tails going straight up at the 50 while the vane stayed stationary, flags at 25 and 75 never moved. Also have a video that has the 50 and 75 flags moving 180 apart. Windless nope.

Did you clean the rifle each day? Otherwise it’s not a clean cold bore shot. You did prove though that under non exact conditions your rifle moved from its previous POA to POI.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the best way to tell if it's a barrel heat vs barrel fouling cause is to shoot a fast group of 3, let the barrel cool for 10 minutes, then shoot a slow group of 3 with 10 minutes between each shot.

God Bless America
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Dang.
To get your zero did you fire 1 shot and completely clean it and cool down, fire another shot and completely clean it and cool, then make scope correction fire 1 shot completely clean and cool. Repeating until you had final zero.
Or did you fire 2-3 shots, make scope adjustments and fire 2-3 more shots to get your final zero.
If you did condition one I would say you have a clean cold bore zero, if condition 2 then you don’t. Not hard.

None of the above. I’m shooting to the some POI whether the barrel is fouled or clean. Zero was established long ago and has absolutely nothing to do with it. This isn’t a zeroing exercise. This is a can I hit where I’m aiming exercise.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 11/14/21.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,186
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.