Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I guess I'm a Fudd. smile

I consider it a good year if I make it a 3 round year for any of my rifles. One to check zero (these have been previously rung out so I know how they shoot), one to drop the whatever, one insurance shot from a few yards out. If needed or wanted.

Clean the rifle and put it away until next year.

I once made a box of .338WM ammo last 3 years, including 2 caribou and 3 moose. That was about $35 well spent! Yeah, it was factory.

Changing scopes, ammo, working up loads, new to me rifles, bedding, etc all cause the tally to go up until I'm confident in the rifle, then it goes to the hopefully 3 and out group.

I see no point in just pouring lead down a barrel, but YMMV.

With some cartridges yielding pretty short barrel life, it doesn’t make sense to beat them to death with hot loads without purpose. Load them down or shoot something else for practice, once you’ve “learned” that rifle and primary load. On the other hand, it’d take a lot of shooting to wear out something like a .223, .308, etc. O’Connor made the point long ago about the cost of the ammo required to shoot out a barrel vs. the price of replacing one. His numbers are laughable now, but the principle holds.

Right now, a feller’d have to be pretty flush to be able to afford enough factory to wear out almost anything, assuming he could find it.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B6

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The 350 legend thing is funny, because I don't think anyone's buying outside straight wall states, where it solves a very specific problem (meeting hunting regs with an AR). Everywhere else it makes no sense, and I can't see much chance of any sales.

Quite a few hunters that live outside but travel to and hunt in straightwall states are buying 350 legend rifles and ammo. I bought both my rifle and ammo for mine in Florida.
It solves more than just hunters wanting to use an AR. It puts the straightwall state hunters in a more conventional bolt action deer rifle with low recoil like we shoot in our home states
I agree demand for the 350 L will not be super high in nonstraightwall states but there will be some need for inventories at some level.

We're not straight-wall in Washington state but the minimum bore diameter for big game is .24, which makes the .223/5.56 illegal. For guys who like the AR platform, the .350 Legend makes a lot of sense. That's especially true west of the Cascade crest where the brush is ultra-thick.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Are the 308 and 223/5.56? In my area those two and 350 Legend are easily available. 30-06, 270 and 243 are very thin on shelves to non existent. 9MM is now well represented along with a small supply of 45acp. $10. a box 22 rimfire is usually on the shelf. It is much better than it was but the focus on Martial cartridges means something.

Truth: I think it means NOTHING. If "they" (gov't) were somehow out to get us, conspiring with ammo companies, etc ... those "martial cartridges" would be the ones they'd keep out of our hands, not the ones they'd be supplying us with in good quantity. Availability is market driven / perception-of-market -driven.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by las
I guess I'm a Fudd. smile...

Yeah, for instance why would someone want to have sex for something other than reproductive purposes?
Sarcasm font heavily active here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by las
I guess I'm a Fudd. smile...

Yeah, for instance why would someone want to have sex for something other than reproductive purposes?
Sarcasm font heavily active here.

🤣😂🤣

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It's also a your gonna take what they are gonna make market now.
Based on what is most profitable for them to do with raw materials.

Make a monolithic bullet/catridge combo or use that same amount of copper in that mono bullet for say x amount of jacketing for x amount of bullets in a different cartridge.
Same with lead.
Produce 180 to 220 gr bullets in x cartridge runs or use that amount of lead to produce catridges with waay less gr weight and get more from the material.

The days of good selection and niche bullets are basically gone it seems.
Very limited production runs on em.

You take what they decide to make is their mindset.

Rem core lock costing 25 to 40 a box
Win power points costing similar.

Ridiculous.... and that is what is presented to buy.
Like 5 major planets line up if ya stumble across a premium offering.

Putting stuff on backorder at midsouth has worked out for me at times.
Stuff don't even pop on their website cause it is already spoken for nationwide.
But ya gotta have patience

JMO.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hudge
I've had appointments most of this week in Anchorage, so I hit Cabela's, Bass Pro, and Sportsman's Warehouse there/ I walked into Bass Pro yesterday, and they had Winchester .30-30 ammo. this is the second time in 2 months I have seen it, so I bought some. There's plenty of .223, .308, 9mm ammo, and now .380 ammo here as well. If you like 7x64, there's plenty of that as well, along with 6 mm Creedmoor. Need something else, you may get lucky, but probably not as of late. My wife bought me a 7mm-08 for Christmas I found out, not a box one of it anywhere. Oh well, maybe I will luck out and find some brass for it at least.

neck down 308 brass... that is my supply.. it all says 308 on the bottom.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
248 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.