Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
An article explaining more of the reason for each feature of the LX-1, with photos of each feature, will appear soon in RIFLE magazine.

It will also explain why D'Arcy doesn't give a schidt about making "mountain rifle" actions.

It might also be worth mentioning that Echols was the very first apprentice of Jerry Fisher, right out of gunsmithing school at age 22.

Why would he when a sub-moa (at least my 270 is) Montana light rifle can be had for a grand?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Prezactly!

Tarquin
GB1

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

On the question of “first class things”

I had a pair of boots made-to-measure. Ruined me for off-the-shelf boots.

Had a suit made because nothing off-the-rack really fit. Big difference.

Going to run errands in my old Corvette was a lot more fun than driving the Subaru which it replaced.

Business class is much nicer than cattle class.

And so on.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is your planned weight for this rifle?

MM

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

MM
Action 42oz (with alloy options), synthetic stock 22oz, barrel 34oz, scope 10oz. So far 6# 12oz then add some fat: NET no more than 7# 4oz. w/o ammo or sling

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m glad that you’re building “your ‘perfect’rifle” because true artistic craftsmen are an exceedingly rare breed these days. D’arcy Echols is that in spades, a true artistic rifle craftsman of the preeminent order! I’m sure that your rifle will be perfect for you.

It wouldn’t be close to perfect for me however. 😉. Therein lies the foundation for endless hours of debate on the perfect cartridge, caliber, scope, truck or rifle because what might be perfect for me would be worthless to you.

There are no perfect rifles except for the rifle that always faithfully brings home meat without failure……that rifle doesn’t get sold it gets lovingly inherited so that future generations remember the best of times and the men that taught them how to hunt. Those are the ONLY perfect rifles…..perfect rifles have their own soul.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
RinB,

What scope and rings are you planning?

If those weights are accurate, it sure seems like you should be able to hit 7 pds 4 oz.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RinB

On the question of “first class things”

I had a pair of boots made-to-measure. Ruined me for off-the-shelf boots.

Had a suit made because nothing off-the-rack really fit. Big difference.

Going to run errands in my old Corvette was a lot more fun than driving the Subaru which it replaced.

Business class is much nicer than cattle class.

And so on.

No argument from me...I am just pleased that someone can afford to do what I cannot.

Provided you post pictures for us to ogle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Aces & J S
The only reason I can afford and justify the expense is that I have sold all of my other hunting rifles.

I have spent way too much time and money exploring different cartridges. The 6.5-284 up thru the 30/06 are all pretty much the same. I include in that mess all the big 7’s. Then there is the 375 H&H. There is a place for a 300 Win as well.

I had a buddy who had a rifle for every imaginable contingency. Unlike, golf where you can carry 13 clubs, he only carried one at a time and after he found one he really liked then he didn’t touch the others.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Aces & J S
The only reason I can afford and justify the expense is that I have sold all of my other hunting rifles.

I have spent way too much time and money exploring different cartridges. The 6.5-284 up thru the 30/06 are all pretty much the same. I include in that mess all the big 7’s. Then there is the 375 H&H. There is a place for a 300 Win as well.

I had a buddy who had a rifle for every imaginable contingency. Unlike, golf where you can carry 13 clubs, he only carried one at a time and after he found one he really liked then he didn’t touch the others.

For what it is worth I think you have taken the right approach.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
I don’t see the huge deal about the lighter contour barrel on the action myself. We’ve been putting 0’s and 1’s on Classics and P64’s forever and with a good Hunters Edge or similar stock they’ve been awesome rifles. The LX1 is mostly a physically sized the same action.

I think it’s going to work out perfect once it’s bolted together. It’s not a new build really, just a new action that’s 10x better than we used to pay smiths to true, hone, square, etc on the old P64’s and Classics.

I went the Defiance route this year, with CRF and 3 POS safety but only because I could get one of them much faster than an LX1. Even with the increased price of the action I saved coin not having a smith put his end mills and bits towards the old actions and make them straight.

How is the Defiance CRF action treating you? Any downsides? I'm looking at one myself.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Aces & J S

I think you should build your perfect rifle and enjoy the hell out of it. 👍. I’ve got a few rifles but I always reach for the same ones depending on the game. I’m terribly sentimental so I’m not likely to EVER be a one rifle man. I’d feel naked if I didn’t have a bunch. Each have their own purpose and personality. 😁

I’ll shut up now and enjoy the details of your build. I apologize for getting it off track.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
So what are the chances Echols will produce this action in stainless?

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Aces
I enjoyed your comments. For BG I think two or three are plenty. For NA two.
I have come to believe, as Brad has written, that cartridges are much more similar than different. For my general use I want a 120-150 bullet moving around 2900-3000 AND not with maximum loads of a single magic powder. I don’t want to run at maximum.

If more is needed for NA then get a 300Win, period.

For big stuff a 375 H&H is the world’s standard and for many good reasons.

K Kid
Chance of stainless receiver is 100%. He isn’t making them with anything else. Bolt is 4340 which is pretty much the industry standard. Results in very slick operation. I believe the rings and tgfp are CM as are some other smaller parts.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

JStuart
About 15 years ago I went thru my safe and counted actions barrels and stock blanks plus other parts for over 20 projects. I was shocked because I instantly understood why I didn’t have the money to go hunt Dall’s sheep or do anything else. Those projects would have paid off my mortgage.

So I had a sale…never regretted that. I paid off all my debt. Best thing ever.

Last edited by RinB; 11/15/21.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I have always believed that the action is the foundation/heart of a fine rifle. I have had 98’s and M70’s lovingly laboured over by Tom Burgess and Ted Blackburn and Al Biesen and Jerry Fisher who were the preeminent custom metal workers of the day. I have also owned and hunted with an Echols Legend which was built around an extensively refined Classic M 70. Have owned and used every M700 type including Bat, Bighorn, Lone Peak, Defiance, Surgeon, Rem CM & Ti. Also have owned GMA actioned rifles.

I understand the quest for the best. I've gone down that rabbit hole with several kinds of tools and toys. That said, custom rifles often turn out a lot like custom homes, which is to say not quite like the original blueprint and not nearly as good as the original dream.

When I read your original post, the question that came to my mind was which of those actions weren't reliable enough? With a trued or custom action and a custom barrel I assume they were all accurate enough for big game....

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Aces
I have come to believe, as Brad has written, that cartridges are much more similar than different. For my general use I want a 120-150 bullet moving around 2900-3000 AND not with maximum loads of a single magic powder. I don’t want to run at maximum.

K Kid
Chance of stainless receiver is 100%. He isn’t making them with anything else. Bolt is 4340 which is pretty much the industry standard. Results in very slick operation. I believe the rings and tgfp are CM as are some other smaller parts.

I agree with you and Brad because that’s about how my BG arsenal looks… .308, .338, .35Whelen. The Whelen will live on my Trawler when I take it north. I’m in the fortunate position in that I am the family armorer and as such I make sure the other 3 members of my family are similarly equipped. 😁. That’s my excuse anyway….😁

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

TexPhot.
You are correct about several things.

1. It is more than likely to get anything “custom built” wrong the first few times. I have a buddy who designed a set of house plans. He is a builder and told me it took about 3-4 builds before he got it the way he envisioned it.

2. There are many less expensive ways to get a reliable accurate rifle (Tikka). But I have been fiddling around with my version of perfect for 40+ years and over many many attempts. I don’t have any vices, horses, boats, motorcycles, or other expensive hobbies. A single rifle isn’t an expensive deal like a horse. I go hunting and just don’t like packing around things I don’t really like. Silly but harmless.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
….I have been fiddling around with my version of perfect for 40+ years and over many many attempts. I don’t have any vices, horses, boats, motorcycles, or other expensive hobbies. A single rifle isn’t an expensive deal like a horse. I go hunting and just don’t like packing around things I don’t really like. Silly but harmless.

God bless you my friend and I’ll enjoy watching your dream rifle come together. 👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

Aces

K Kid

So receiver is stainless and rest is not?

I’m always surprised at the lack of stainless options in the CRF custom actions.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

But I have been fiddling around with my version of perfect for 40+ years and over many many attempts. I don’t have any vices, horses, boats, motorcycles, or other expensive hobbies. A single rifle isn’t an expensive deal like a horse. I go hunting and just don’t like packing around things I don’t really like. Silly but harmless.

Very true! Rifles don't require much in the way of maintenance, especially compared to motorized transportation. Rifles also only need to be fed a little ammo when the mood strikes, unlike a live animal which requires constant upkeep. Also a rifle won't buck a person off if they don't shoot it enough, the opposite for an un-rode horse. In addition, storage of a few rifles is relatively simple. Dollar wise, even a top end rifle really isn't that bad when compared to the price of a lot of other hobbies. Overall a custom rifle affliction is, like you say, a harmless, and may I add fun hobby.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 75 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,503
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.