Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Got a late start in ND's sharptail season, finally getting out this morning. Even then, it was pretty much a spur of the moment thing - needful things gathered up, getting the Subaru loaded. Drove about 45 miles west of here, where I consider the true sharptail habitat to start. Since I'm not local out there, I rely on the ND PLOTS (Private Land open to Sportsmen) program to find suitable ground with guaranteed access. The first piece I wanted to walk wasn't accessible to me, as I was coming up from the south and the direct access was on the north side - or I had to drive prairie road to get there. I opted for a second parcel about ten miles away. Definitely a good choice. Parcel was roughly L shaped and we flushed a single (just at the edge of gun range, so I let it go) within the first 300 yards. Then a second single flushed wild about 300yds out. Coming over a hilltop at the tip of the L, we ran into a covey of about 10-12 birds. I missed my first shot, and dropped that bird with the second. A short while later, we flushed another single, and missed it twice (scared it though!). Then skirting a cattail slough on the edge of the property back to the car we started seeing whitetails....nine of them total. And about the time my springer hit their trail, she started to go nuts. I was thinking it was all the deer scent, but nope....another covey of sharptails. I picked out a straggler and with my second shot it turned and headed, obligingly, in the direction of the car, landing about 200 yds away from it. As we were nearing the spot where it landed we had a trio get up and I dropped the closest bird. Then when the bird we were pursuing flushed, I nailed it too, completing my limit of 3 birds. Not the best shooting on my part,but about par for my first time out. As a campfire tie-in, the gun I was using is a Borchers Celta in 16ga, that I bought from another member here in the classifieds last winter. Nice little Spanish-made SxS with double triggers. I was using Baschieri & Pellagri's F2 Classic load in #6s - this is a 2 5/8inch hull load that works well in all of my 16s. I use the #6 load for these early season birds, and a #5 load for the late season (knocks the snot out of wild pheasants!). Left the house just after 8 this morning, was back in the car for the ride home by 10:30. All told, we saw probably 30 birds total. Gotta love that!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Handsome pup and a great day afield!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta love that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A good day afield!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Cool!

cool cool

I wish I could reach right through my screen and steal that beautiful pooch. What a beauty!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got to quit saying I’m going to hunt sharp tails someday and actually go do it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well done…great looking friend you hunt with!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice job, good for you!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I’ve got to quit saying I’m going to hunt sharp tails someday and actually go do it.

Are you my long lost twin??

I could have written that. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I'm far from being an expert at the prairie grouse thing, but....

Make sure you are up for some serious walking. My first experience with these birds was all too easy. I got up early, drove out to a region rumored to be good for grouse, and ten miles off the highway ran into a flock of them sitting in the edge of a field of wheat stubble. Took longer to park the vehicle than it did to collect my three bird limit. Next time out, I think I hiked 7 miles before I even saw the first bird. My experience has been that there are three avenues that your hunt will take. As above, you limit out because you are in the right place/right time. Two, you cover hell and back and need be grateful for that one straggler that sacrificed himself because he feels pity for your Herculean effort. Or you'll cover every bit of ground in front of you, only to bag your limit on the return leg, within 200 yds of the car. Much of that was probably due to my inexperience with their habits and habitats Regardless, make sure your legs are in shape for a long haul.

Also, the first few weeks of the season are the easiest. As fall progresses, the birds gather into larger flocks, and become increasing difficult to hunt. In these coveys there always seems to be sentry birds that will flush at the mere sight of you, taking the rest of the group with them - often just out of gun range. Early season you'll see singles, pairs, etc and if you do bump a large covey, often the young ones are dumb enough to stick around and will give you a chance due to them being the stragglers.

And make sure you have a good dog....or three.

I got into the 16ga thing totally because of grouse - carting a 7lb+ gun all day gets tiring. And sharptails aren't don't seem that tough - put a couple of pellets in them and they will most likely go down....and stay down. It's not been often that i've had to struggle chasing down a crippled bird. Much more likely to stay put (once down) than a pheasant.

Kaiser Norton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

I'm far from being an expert at the prairie grouse thing, but....

Make sure you are up for some serious walking. My first experience with these birds was all too easy. I got up early, drove out to a region rumored to be good for grouse, and ten miles off the highway ran into a flock of them sitting in the edge of a field of wheat stubble. Took longer to park the vehicle than it did to collect my three bird limit. Next time out, I think I hiked 7 miles before I even saw the first bird. My experience has been that there are three avenues that your hunt will take. As above, you limit out because you are in the right place/right time. Two, you cover hell and back and need be grateful for that one straggler that sacrificed himself because he feels pity for your Herculean effort. Or you'll cover every bit of ground in front of you, only to bag your limit on the return leg, within 200 yds of the car. Much of that was probably due to my inexperience with their habits and habitats Regardless, make sure your legs are in shape for a long haul.

Also, the first few weeks of the season are the easiest. As fall progresses, the birds gather into larger flocks, and become increasing difficult to hunt. In these coveys there always seems to be sentry birds that will flush at the mere sight of you, taking the rest of the group with them - often just out of gun range. Early season you'll see singles, pairs, etc and if you do bump a large covey, often the young ones are dumb enough to stick around and will give you a chance due to them being the stragglers.

And make sure you have a good dog....or three.

I got into the 16ga thing totally because of grouse - carting a 7lb+ gun all day gets tiring. And sharptails aren't don't seem that tough - put a couple of pellets in them and they will most likely go down....and stay down. It's not been often that i've had to struggle chasing down a crippled bird. Much more likely to stay put (once down) than a pheasant.

Kaiser Norton

My problem is lack of time to get there between other hunts and family commitments. But someday…

We routinely have 10+ miles day walking through chest+ tall heavy grass chasing wild public Kansas roosters. I’d hope that would equate to hunting prairie grouse. Otherwise I might be hurting.

5# 15 ounce 16 gauge side by side of mine seems about ideal. Or even the 6# 1ounce Ithaca 37 pump 16.

Guess I’m just going to have to put it in the calendar next year and go do it. 3 year old and 5 year old shorthairs are both in their prime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’m not getting any younger…

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

I’m not getting any younger…

Sounds like you just need to make the time.....get it done!

Kaiser Norton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Norton, you make a point. I have swivels on my shotguns, and carry a light carry strap, 2 water bottles, about 20 shells, and a length of twine in my fanny pack. I make big circles from my pickup. If I get birds, run out of water, or just get tired walking from buffalo berry patches to coulee edges, Im not too far from the pickup. Nothing says you can't sit and take a rest on a walkabout either!

I don't have a dog, so if I get a bird or two, I go find them immediately...no walking from where the shots were made. I avoid shots over thick cover, try to shoot where they fall in short grass or light cover. Drop my hat, get a line on where they landed, and go get them. And those early season birds are certainly the easiest.

Last edited by 300_savage; 10/03/21.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I love the sharpies. The other day my shorthair caught two wild roosters in a row and nearly snatched a third one out of the air the next day. He has never come close to catching a grouse. smile

Eye Dominance and the Subconscious Mind in Shotgunning

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My lab caught one out of the air. It was one of his greatest moments. Wish I had it on camera.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.