Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16543400 10/19/21
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have been looking at getting a DD for my next dog. I have had Labs (all are gone now) prior to this, along with a GSD (gone) and a Belgian Malinois which I use for police work. From what I am reading, the VDD is the Malinois of the hunting dog world, which is perfect.

Having had the Mal since he was 18 months old, I am not concerned about my ability to handle a DD. I am interested in where I could find or meet with a few breeders. I have looked at the VDD-NA web page and I'm not sure it is up to date.

Is there somewhere else I could look for info? I'd appreciate any suggestions on stuff I could/should read. I'd get the dog ideally in Spring 2022 or 23 depending on when my wife is ready for another dog.

TIA

Isaiah 6:8

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got 2 now. When I get my third, I'll be contacting this kennel. My oldest dog's dad was from this kennel and I really like him a lot. Plus its in SD so may work out well for you. They are great dogs and I'll probably have no other now that I have a couple.

http://www.vomwiredhaus.com/custom/OurDogs/litters/

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 30338
I've got 2 now. When I get my third, I'll be contacting this kennel. My oldest dog's dad was from this kennel and I really like him a lot. Plus its in SD so may work out well for you. They are great dogs and I'll probably have no other now that I have a couple.

http://www.vomwiredhaus.com/custom/OurDogs/litters/

Good to know, I found his kennel page but wasn't sure if he was still running or not. If anyone else knows of another good kennel, I'm located about 20 miles north/west of Rapid City. I will likely reach out to vomwiredhaus for sure as from what I can tell, they are the closest to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're going to have two very intelligent dogs to contend with lol. If I think of another kennel, I'll shoot you a pm.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had four DDs and each one was/is a very good hunting dog with a reasonable amount of training. One reason I chose a DD was the fact that every dog bred under that German system has to be tested before they are allowed to be bred. IMO, that really increases your odds of getting a pup with the genes to make a good hunting dog. The downside to the rigid German system is that many folks won't put up with the tight rules required by the Germans, so there are relatively few DD breeders (and others like DK, PP, etc) in this country. That in turn reduces the number of pups born each year and helps drive up prices.

If you're serious about getting a pup in the spring of 2022, I would be contacting breeders right now. Many of these DD breeders have waiting lists and it could take you 2+ years to find a breeder close to your location. One of my dogs came from the Jugler's kennel in Casper (https://www.sudlichenwald.com/) and she's an awesome dog and they are super great folks. They got started in DDs and were mentored by Roger Green when he lived in WY. Roger and his wife Marge are some of the best Draht folks in North America (http://rogermgreen.com/vom_elderbach/homepage.html).

Other kennels you should check out are Heather Prunty's https://grizzlycreekdd.weebly.com/; her C-litter pups were a HUGE success and they all tested out with very high scores. I currently have a pup out of one of those vom Grizzly Creek C-litter females. There is a breeder in Bismarck (https://www.vonmakoshika.com/) that has had some good pups that isn't too far from you. East of you in Sioux Falls there is a super experienced breeder (http://www.vomikekennel.com/) that really knows his stuff. Blaine is a walking encyclopedia of DD lines, and he would be a great contact for you to learn more about the different DD lines.

And I'm sure there are other good choices out there. Like I said at the start, the German system almost guarantees that any DD pup will be at least adequate for most hunters. The lousy breeders get weeded out fast in the DD world.

Have fun with your new DD pup!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B2

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I was able to get in and get on the list with vomWiredhaus. They have two litters this spring if anyone else is looking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're going to be very happy with your pup. Hope to see pics and here about them in the spring.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A DD owner told me that there prey drive is insane. We have a PP and she is constantly on the hunt. However I heard from one owner of a DD that watch them around Cats, they will rid the neighborhood of them!!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I now own my first DD. He is a 1 1/2 years old. I passed the VJP and the HZP with him (took 2 tries mess up handling). He blood trails deer, kills random vermin when sicked on them, points upland , retrieves better than any nstra dog, and is a solid duck dog. Pretty much like lassie.

I got him from Tyler Wallis at Roter Erde Kennels from Tuttle OK and both of his litters have performed awesome in the testing system. OK also has Vom Dewolf Kennels from Preston Dewolf.

Lona Kluck is up in SD I think and she breeds some and is an awesome resource.

Either way if you can handle a working Mal I am sure you will be very successful with your DD if your choose the breed.

And as started before they are hell on cats.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mine will turn 9 in March and is still hunting strong. Got him from Donny Zarra in PGH. Retrieved a triple of Canadas out of the river once when it was 10 below. He was covered in ice and my Beretta froze open. Wouldn't hurt a fly. We have chickens loose in the yard, neighbor has cats, no issues at all. He brought me barn swallow chicks this year when the wind knocked down the nests, unharmed.

The only pair that scored higher than us at the VJP was a K9 officer. Bet you'll do great and love the dog!

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was at Pheasant Fest this weekend in Omaha. I too want and have wanted a DD for a long time now. I hooked up with the Great Plains VDD chapter which also includes SD. They have a FB Group. May be good to hook up with them for training resources and info on all the area breeders.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have family in Frontier County eagerly awaiting a pup from my two DD's, but it won't be for a while. Let me know what your timeline looks like.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Best dogs ever. But I’m biased😁

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

I brought home Elon II vomWiredhaus three weeks ago. I can’t recall having a dog with such natural ability. Today we were down by a lake, he air scented and brought me a dead baby bird out of the tall grass. He quasi points Robins and other small birds, and is 100 percent “go”. He gets along fine with my Malinois (I should say the Mal “tolerates” him). Looking forward to the Fall. He’s 12 weeks old.

Last edited by TakeEm; 07/09/22.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
TakeEm, congrats on the pup. They’re the greatest aren’t they? Are you going to test him? I would highly encourage doing so even if you’re not interested in breeding. I’ve “drank the koolaid” so to speak with the German hunt test system and it makes for an outstanding dog. Right now I’m helping a friend get his dog ready for the Armbruster in September and I’ll admit I’m jealous I don’t have a pup to get ready myself. Post pics if you can of yours. I’d love to see him.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cool beans bud, your in for a few shocking moments, many surprises, what ta fuqq, really, hoooley chit!!!! These dogs are so good that until your used to them, you'll be standing around with your mouth open a lot, with yer hat off scratching your head. Have fun!!! Best of luck. GWP guy. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦👍🏻

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking pooches ... but aren't they just German Shorthair Pointers with beards?? wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well they are both German breeds.

Take Em, congrats on the pup. As I mentioned, I am going to look at Vom Wiredhaus for my next drahthaar. Love to hear how he does during his spring and fall tests next year. You're in for a great run. Betting your dogs become best buddies along the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
202 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.