Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't know how you could go too far wrong for $60.00. Good to see some pre-dempanic prices again.

https://www.surplusammo.com/product...-300aac-complete-bolt-carrier-group.html

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you done any recent amount of business with SurplusAmmo? Used any of their name branded products?

I have not.

But when I've checked up on them in the past, the info that I got led me to believe that I can do w/o dealing with them.

On the other hand, AR parts are becoming more available, with maybe the exception of barrels, & prices seem to be stabilized or coming down to pre-panic levels.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Have you done any recent amount of business with SurplusAmmo? Used any of their name branded products?

I have not.

But when I've checked up on them in the past, the info that I got led me to believe that I can do w/o dealing with them.

On the other hand, AR parts are becoming more available, with maybe the exception of barrels, & prices seem to be stabilized or coming down to pre-panic levels.

MM

9310 bolt of unknown origin?
No thanks.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I have not.

MM

Never dealt with them. 217 positive reviews. Just figured maybe someone could use a BCG at a decent price. Good to know if you or others have had issues with them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

No thanks.

I have several complete BCGs in both small frame (AR15) and large frame (LR-308/AR10) with the nitrided 9310 bolt and haven't had any issues with them, the bolt carrier is worth the $60. If I didn't have a half dozen or more in the parts bin, I would buy the 3 limit.

Why 9310 Steel in an AR-15 / M16 Bolt?

"9310 is not MIL-SPEC, it's better than MIL-SPEC"

Last week Faxon announced the release of their GUNNER series of Modern Sporting Rifle bolt carrier groups. Its been a pleasure working on the carriers and we are thrilled to have them released to our customers to rave reviews. We were able to create something never done before: A steel carrier, keeping forward assists, full-auto compatible, and less than 6.5 ounces!

One of the questions we have been getting is why we opt to not follow the "Mil-Spec" for our bolts, specifically why we are not using Carpenter 158 steel for the bolts?

The answer is simple: "Mil-Spec" is just the minimum requirement and metallurgical technology has caught up to design of the AR-15 since its creation.

The reason for Carpenter 158 as the "Mil-Spec" is rooted in history when the AR-15, chambered for the lower pressure .223 Remington round was upgraded to the higher pressure 5.56 NATO loads. The original material selection for the bolt was found to have inadequate service life. The military went searching for better material, constrained by the size of the bolt. Carpenter Technologies' 158 blend of steel was selected as it provided adequate strength and wear characteristics. It has been the "Mil-Spec" since.

Since the creation of Carpenter 158, the metals industry has continued to innovate, creating new blends of steels. 9310 is a AISI standard grade of tool steel that makes it about ~7% stronger than "mil-spec" Carpenter 158 steels, when appropriately treated. Its commonly used in the aerospace industry where toughness, impact strength, and solid wear characteristics are required.

From the base material, we took what we liked from the "Mil-Spec" and continued development. Our 9310 bolts are still magnetic particle inspected (ensures consistent material), shot-peened (surface strength), and heat-treated (for shock, abrasion, and wear) like the Mil-Spec. With 9310, the heat-treat is critical and all steps are completed with full certifications.

From there, Faxon opted for nitrided bolts instead of manganese phosphate finish. "Nitriding" or nitrocarburization is applied for us via Quench, Polish, Quench method. The process imbues nitrogen into the steel hardening the surface, reduces friction, and increases corrosion resistance. We use the same process on all of our barrels. This creates a slicker, more corrosion resistant bolt that is simultaneously harder to resist wear.

As such, the combination of 9310, correct treatment methods, and QPQ create a better bolt; one that exceeds "Mil-Spec".

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Darryle

I have several complete BCGs in both small frame (AR15) and large frame (LR-308/AR10) with the nitrided 9310 bolt and haven't had any issues with them, the bolt carrier is worth the $60. If I didn't have a half dozen or more in the parts bin, I would buy the 3 limit.

I have zero problems with using 9310 bolts, but only from known reliable sources..................everyone's 9310 & the heat treatment of the raw material it came from, are not all equal.

But suit yourself.

I'm gonna pass on bolts from SurplusAmmo, even if they were free.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Darryle

No thanks.

"9310 is not MIL-SPEC, it's better than MIL-SPEC"

Last week Faxon announced the release of their GUNNER series of Modern Sporting Rifle bolt carrier groups. Its been a pleasure working on the carriers and we are thrilled to have them released to our customers to rave reviews. We were able to create something never done before: A steel carrier, keeping forward assists, full-auto compatible, and less than 6.5 ounces!

One of the questions we have been getting is why we opt to not follow the "Mil-Spec" for our bolts, specifically why we are not using Carpenter 158 steel for the bolts?

The answer is simple: "Mil-Spec" is just the minimum requirement and metallurgical technology has caught up to design of the AR-15 since its creation.

The reason for Carpenter 158 as the "Mil-Spec" is rooted in history when the AR-15, chambered for the lower pressure .223 Remington round was upgraded to the higher pressure 5.56 NATO loads. The original material selection for the bolt was found to have inadequate service life. The military went searching for better material, constrained by the size of the bolt. Carpenter Technologies' 158 blend of steel was selected as it provided adequate strength and wear characteristics. It has been the "Mil-Spec" since.

Since the creation of Carpenter 158, the metals industry has continued to innovate, creating new blends of steels. 9310 is a AISI standard grade of tool steel that makes it about ~7% stronger than "mil-spec" Carpenter 158 steels, when appropriately treated. Its commonly used in the aerospace industry where toughness, impact strength, and solid wear characteristics are required.

From the base material, we took what we liked from the "Mil-Spec" and continued development. Our 9310 bolts are still magnetic particle inspected (ensures consistent material), shot-peened (surface strength), and heat-treated (for shock, abrasion, and wear) like the Mil-Spec. With 9310, the heat-treat is critical and all steps are completed with full certifications.

From there, Faxon opted for nitrided bolts instead of manganese phosphate finish. "Nitriding" or nitrocarburization is applied for us via Quench, Polish, Quench method. The process imbues nitrogen into the steel hardening the surface, reduces friction, and increases corrosion resistance. We use the same process on all of our barrels. This creates a slicker, more corrosion resistant bolt that is simultaneously harder to resist wear.

As such, the combination of 9310, correct treatment methods, and QPQ create a better bolt; one that exceeds "Mil-Spec".

Why are you quoting Faxon?
What evidence do you have those 9310 bolts were made and heat treated by Faxon and not the Chinese equivalent of Bubba Joe Bob?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Henderson Defense on ar15.com has some high round count data on running oiless with coated BCG's.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 5thShock
I think Henderson Defense on ar15.com has some high round count data on running oiless with coated BCG's.

This brand?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know, didn't reread it, but I would if I was shopping for AR guts.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good coatings on good parts are good but not all coatings and parts are good. Factor in application of coatings and QC would lead to added expense. You’re not going to sell the finished product cheap.

Flashback a few years ago and me and a buddy decided to buy some Black Friday bargain barrels from what was touted on the net as a great barrel for a great price. Both were junk and after a conversation I had with the owner of said company, he had changed companies for their nitride process. They screwed up lots of barrels.

But hey they were coated and cheap!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Parts is parts?

But it was cheap!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perfect example.

There's a reason that good suppliers/good manufacturers had good industry wide reputations, & I don't just mean positive reviews on their website.

There's just no really good reason to buy off brand schitt when plenty of good stuff is available in whatever price range above free, that you want to target.

I have better things to do with my time than to deal with sub-part AR components from unknown or marginal vendors.

For may others here though their mileage really does vary & many will try to squeeze the nickel 'till the buffalo schits. Best wish for them.

MM

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Go this route instead:

TC nitride BCG with C158 bolt $70

https://palmettostatearmory.com/too...itride-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Go this route instead:

TC nitride BCG with C158 bolt $70

https://palmettostatearmory.com/too...itride-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group.html
That is like stealing!

Politics is War by Other Means
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Parts is parts?

But it was cheap!

Good post!

Retired cat herder.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
How is nitride holding up?

Since this TC carrier is not chromed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got two in. Since most of my rifles as most of yours are fun, not life and death.

Both carriers work fine in working guns here RE swaps. Just to check.

The machining on the carrier bodies on the bearing rails isn't perfect but nothing to impeded function.,

For 60. Looks fine for the 2 I got.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And can you say horrors... I've won a few matches with EA lowers... If anyone recalls them. Supposed total junk per lots....ugly yes, finish not the best. Worked fine in the90s. Still working fine these days....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a couple of the PSA bolts listed above on the Black Friday deal. Not had one before, so I have a question, what lube do you use on them and how/where do you lube?
May sound dumb just don't know about that coating.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 15 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.