Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I’m looking for a dall sheep hunt with a reputable guide that would allow me to book a hunt 2-3 years in advance which would make it a lot easier to pay for over that period of time. Do you guys know any solid guides that will allow this, I have done some searching but all the people I have found just has the following year available on there site. Thanks guys !

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Luke Tyrrell , at Tyrrell trails. +1 (907) 888-6348

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give Jake Jefferson a call. I know his area had a bad winter kill a couple years ago------should be back when you want to go. I've hunted with him twice----he's a good guy & a straight shooter.

Last edited by colorado bob; 11/19/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure if the Ellis's are still guiding but they get damn good sheep out of nebesna.

A
ATC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
PM sent.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Thank you guys for this information I’ll be calling these folks Monday to talk to them and ask some questions!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've been under the impression that most---if not all---reputable outfitters in Alaska are booked up several years in advance, so unless a cancellation hunt is in the mix you'd have to book at least 2-3 years in advance if not more.

I have no idea if you're wanting to concentrate on sheep size, or want to hunt a particularly rugged area, etc. but I'd be looking at the Brooks Range. Big sheep come out of most all areas of the state, but the Brooks Range seems to be cranking out a lot of them, I suspect due to both less hunting pressure and more remoteness.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dave Marsh....Big Game Big Country. Did the same as you're suggesting. Check out his website, lots of pics and info.

Good Luck with your search. Thank you for your service!

Last edited by Snootie; 11/19/21.
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Snootie
Dave Marsh....Big Game Big Country. Did the same as you're suggesting. Check out his website, lots of pics and info.

This guy has came up three times so must be something good there. I have reached out to him !

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can recommend Matt Snyder. His step dad is Frank Entsminger. They hunt a good area and they know sheep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
I can recommend Matt Snyder. His step dad is Frank Entsminger. They hunt a good area and they know sheep.

Matt and family can hunt 2-3 good areas. Good folks that know their area very well.

I would also consider Wrangell Outfitters. Will Kohler is an upfront guy with a great area that doesn't get over hunted.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
ThNks for all this information guys I have reached out to all of them to try to make the best choice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Usmcinfantry1988
Originally Posted by Snootie

This guy has came up three times so must be something good there. I have reached out to him !

Dave’s a great guy, we sat on my deck this past August & ate good food while drinking good liquor.

I believe he’s done w sheep himself, turning those duties over to the young studs, Brian is a great guy as well.

They took a toad outa their area this past August

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 12/01/21.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You gets the coolest dudes to drink with on your deck!
LOL. 😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr shoemaker beat me to it - call Luke
He and his brother Wes have a nice area, a lodge to HQ before you head to the tent camps, and above all wonderful attitudes. My trip with them (August last year) was FUN!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
You gets the coolest dudes to drink with on your deck!
LOL. 😉

None any cooler than the guy that can bend iron.

With just a mean look 💪🏼

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly, according to a Hunt'n Fool article, guided dall hunts either this year or last in AK were at 54% success. Not sure if that is a reflection of sheep numbers or the quality of hunters, or something else....but it is something to think about.

It is a lot of $ for odds such as that. Research your chosen outfitter well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Supposedly, according to a Hunt'n Fool article, guided dall hunts either this year or last in AK were at 54% success. Not sure if that is a reflection of sheep numbers or the quality of hunters, or something else....but it is something to think about.

Sheep numbers are falling and falling hard almost everywhere in AK...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Sheep numbers are falling and falling hard almost everywhere in AK...

Sheep harvest data is still being compiled but I've seen a few numbers and they appear dismal.

I've hear that guided hunt success in the Alaska Range was 25% but I haven't seen confirming data.

DCUA early hunt DS203 had overall success rate of 27% with average age 8.5 years
DCUA late hunt DS204 had overall success rate of 18% with average age 7.0 years

+

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,422
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.