Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have a Remington 600 in a 222. Shoots pretty good 1” to 1.5” groups at 100 yards. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles on what can be done to make them more accurate? Any Gunsmiths that you know that has worked on them with good success? Thanks for reading.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only been around 2, a .308 and a .222. Both shot excellent.

I would check the normal things first, proper stress free assembly and bedding. Then check scope and mounts. With a good load and straight ammo, and those 2 boxes checked, I can't see it not shooting 1" or better. How's the trigger? And what optics/ammo are you using?

I'm not sure what a gunsmith could do besides the above, unless you're talking about rebarreling or something of that nature.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bed the action, free-float the barrel, and have the trigger adjusted to a reasonable weight of pull, anything more than that you will have to decide how deep down the rabbit hole you want to get for better accuracy. One thing to keep in mind though is that the barrel contour on those is pretty small and they will heat up fairly quickly, even in a 222. Actually 1" to 1-1.2" groups is not all that bad, it is just that everyone now days seems to own rifles that shoot 1/2" groups if you want to believe the internet shooters or gunrags.
The Mohawk 600's in 222 Rem I owned shot quite a bit better than the Remington 600's in 222 Rem I owned, the Mohawk has a heavier barrel contour and a little longer barrel.

p.s. - when having the trigger adjusted you may want to check to see if it has been fixed under the recall Remington did for those, IIRC they stamped an X on the trigger housing after they were checked.

drover

Last edited by drover; 11/19/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Andrews,

Also, take a look at the crown for damage or issues.

Right off the bat, I'd try another scope (after checking the bases and rings for torque).

At 1 to 1 1/2 inches, the 600 would still be a great walking varmint rifle.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one I had was well used, and shot dime to nickel sized groups all day with RP 50gr PLHP and PSP over H322 and BLC as I recall.

Bores on many older guns sometimes have pitted bores, if so they often shoot better after some fouling. I would check crown, scope and scope base/rings, as well as possibly the bedding but the short stiff tubes should easily shoot sub-MOA if not a big problem going on.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had more than a few 600’s, & 660’s. I don’t remember having one with a rib though - 308’s, 350, 222 and a rebarreled 22-250, that I can remember - either a 6mm or a 243 too???. Years ago they could be bought a half the price of a 700.
They’ve all been accurate. As others have stated, free float, glass bed, do the best you can with the trigger - they’re not as tunable as 700’s. I have had lots of parts (40x & 700’s) for the triggers and have made them 2 to 2 1/2 lb and crisp. I no longer have any extra parts though.
If I had one that didn’t shoot well (I have not) I’d be checking the usual suspects - scope, crown, bedding, loose mounts etc.

If you can’t get it to shoot and want to unload it you can get good money for it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a 222. It was 1.5 MOA rifle. I bought a couple of take-off barrels and screwed a .223 barrel on it. It's a .9MOA rifle now and easier to find ammo. Trigger needs replaced

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one new in 1966 in 223, long before the internet and never knew it was rare. It was the ugliest POS I ever saw and before I shot it the AF armorer friend of mine removed the rib, milled the studs off of it and rounded the square edges of the stock. It was very accurate shooting sub .5 MOA groups when I was on. I won a couple club BR matches with it shooting Herters powder and bullets.

I used it for predator hunting and control work for thirty years, loaned it out to a couple youth hunters and they took deer in MT with it.

I had friends in LE that would get me cans of surplus ammo so it went through a lot of rounds. Finally the accuracy started to go down hill and I had PacNor screw a 6x45 barrel on it and it is still one of the most accurate rifles I own. I did put an aluminum trigger guard on it when the old plastic one started to warp. also a synthetic stock as I had cut the pistol grip off the original so it wouldnt dig into my back skiing

It's been a faithful companion for 55 years you can't ask much more.from.a.$69. rifle

The only pic I have of it, I was playing with a Balvar 8 on it but it didn't work out as I needed a different base that I couldn't find. I'm killing coyotes with a savage and the Balvar now.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 12/11/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I forgot to say, if you’re selling that 222 I’d like a chance to buy it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I turned a M600 308 into a faux Chet Brown Mountain Rifle back in the 80s. Basically did all the work he did to end up with a short, light hunting rifle using one of his fiberglass stocks. Within a few months, Remington introduced its M7, which is essentially what I'd turned my M600 into. Later on, I replaced the turned down 308 barrel with a new 7mm08 tube.

An uncle gifted me with a M600 222 rem that had been neglected (before he got it) and had a fine coat of rust throughout, inside and outside. I cleaned it up as best I could, but it never shot well. I figured the bore had been compromised by the rust. At the time I was playing around with T/C Contenders in 7mmTCU and thought a caliber conversion would be a good idea, so I had it rebored and rechambered to 7mmTCU. To get it to feed correctly, I had to block up the rear of the magazine well a little. I now have a 'not-too-pretty' M600 repeater in a cool caliber that shoots light's out with 115 and 120 grain bullets. BTW, this was an early version that had the plastic rib, but it had been removed and the studs milled off. Because these barrels were so thin, I had to make sure the drilled and tapped stud holes would not be so deep as to compromise the larger hole diameter from the reboring.

My latest M600 is a Mohawk that came with a butchered-up hardwood stock. I ran across a somewhat less buggered up M660 stock, cut if off well short of std length, added a barrel band swivel stud, and sanded off as much of the excess wood as I felt comfortable doing, ending up with a slim, light, short walkabout rifle. The one on the bottom:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hook
I turned a M600 308 into a faux Chet Brown Mountain Rifle back in the 80s. Basically did all the work he did to end up with a short, light hunting rifle using one of his fiberglass stocks.

Did the very same thing in the mod-80s.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, whenever I rebarrel a 600/660 action I always replace the recoil lug with one from a 700 series rifle so that the top of the recoil lug has the same contour and the front of the receiver ring.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for all the great information😊😊

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put mine in a HS stock when they were still available.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This one is new to me, in 7mm08, put together by Chic Donnelly, who as I understand it, worked under PO Ackley.

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I have a Remington 600 in a 222. Shoots pretty good 1” to 1.5” groups at 100 yards. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles on what can be done to make them more accurate? Any Gunsmiths that you know that has worked on them with good success? Thanks for reading.

Shilen barrel helped mine a lot. Aluminum bottom metal and Timney trigger didn't hurt.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This one is new to me, in 7mm08, put together by Chic Donnelly, who as I understand it, worked under PO Ackley.

That's really nice.

Thanks for sharing.

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
660 in .222. 600 in .222 and .243

The 660 was free floated and a half incher w handloads

The 600 ran factory 55gr just under an inch w trigger job and free float ( was family members that didnt reload ).

The .243 was .75 w handloads. 70gr NBT. Free floated.

It was also friggin LOUD. 😁

All of em shot off a Harris and rear bag. Scopes maxd at 9x ( AO ).

I would from my limited experience, expect sub MOA w minor tweaks.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/13/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
FWIW, whenever I rebarrel a 600/660 action I always replace the recoil lug with one from a 700 series rifle so that the top of the recoil lug has the same contour and the front of the receiver ring.

Yes, on a Mohawk that is rather unsightly.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Yes, on a Mohawk that is rather unsightly.

Agree. If I'd have thought of that when I had this Shilen barrel installed, would have done likewise. BTW, I went with a 22" barrel for a little more forward heft. I like the way it looks.

The scope base seems to hide it pretty well. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they did that. Must have had a reason.

Check out my new Maven 2-10x38 scope. So far, am pleased with it. Glass is excellent, ER a bit short. But, this is a .22-250, not a big kicker.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/15/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,887 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.