Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
“ Ground-sleuthing—shooting a game bird while it is on the ground or on water. Considered very poor sportsmanship and hated by people who consider themselves real hunters. . . A person who ground-sleuths is a ground-sleuther or, more commonly, a ground-sleuthing son-of-a-bitch.”
Glad those "real" hunters don't turkey hunt.

I didn’t know turkeys were in the air, saw decoys, set their wings, made a couple of passes, and came in.

Thanks
Your quote says Ground Sluething- shooting a game bird on the ground.

You posted it, not me.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“ Ground-sleuthing—shooting a game bird while it is on the ground or on water. Considered very poor sportsmanship and hated by people who consider themselves real hunters. . . A person who ground-sleuths is a ground-sleuther or, more commonly, a ground-sleuthing son-of-a-bitch.”

I didn’t know turkeys were in the air, saw decoys, set their wings, made a couple of passes, and came in.

Thanks

You posted it, not me.

Please post some evidence that you’re really not this dumb.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You would shoot ducks that landed in your decoys on the water?

Never have, but wouldn’t put myself above it.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by battue
Disagree on a couple items.

If some want to call it purist, they have good reason. However, it goes behind shooting skill. It encompasses Dog work, getting a pup or new Dog, training, the excitement of going. The point or flush, retrieve on land or water, and the appreciation of when they accomplish an extraordinary difficult situation. The Dogs own enthusiasm and desire for the hunt. And when and if a Dog figures out their place in the the puzzle of Bird, Dog, gun.

Without the Dog, I wouldn’t spend thousands yearly on Upland hunting. I’ve been known to go out without the gun at those times when I’ve killed enough for the time between . And I knew one individual who gave up the gun completely. He said, “We can’t point him tomorrow, if I kill him today.”

The shooting is not the entire reason for the doing.
I agree. We never had a dog when we were duck hunting so for us it was hunting ducks, killing ducks and eating ducks.

I don't care if a guy wants to shoot 100% of his ducks while on the wing but they have a problem when I ground swat even though it's 100% legal.

Same bunch that claims a bird must be shot on the wing would probably squirrel or rabbit hunt with a shotgun. Maybe rabbits with a shotgun if running beagles but I see no challenge in hunting them or squirrels with a shotgun, don't see me telling em how much of a POS they are for using a shotgun on a sitting critter.

Bet they shoot all of their deer on the run instead if standing still too. Doubt they stop a walking buck at 30 yards with a bow either. Probably good enough they know the lead and time the release perfect.

Comes down to the "real" hunter wanting to control/run down what I do even though I could care less how the other is shooting his ducks or other animals.

I wasn’t going to talk the squirrel/rabbit thing, but I did think it. If I weren’t real hungry, I’d never shoot a squirrel with a shotgun. I do understand that it is necessary for safety in some areas. It’s just not for me. With lots of beagling experience, I’d shoot a sitting rabbit without hesitation. A sitting pheasant however, would always be put to flight. I’d really look down my nose at a guy who shotgunned a sitting rooster. Why? I’m not sure I know. 🤔

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Disagree on a couple items.

If some want to call it purist, they have good reason. However, it goes behind shooting skill. It encompasses Dog work, getting a pup or new Dog, training, the excitement of going. The point or flush, retrieve on land or water, and the appreciation of when they accomplish an extraordinary difficult situation. The Dogs own enthusiasm and desire for the hunt. And when and if a Dog figures out their place in the the puzzle of Bird, Dog, gun.

Without the Dog, I wouldn’t spend thousands yearly on Upland hunting. I’ve been known to go out without the gun at those times when I’ve killed enough for the time being. And I knew one individual who gave up the gun completely. He said, “We can’t point him tomorrow, if I kill him today.”

The shooting is not the entire reason for the doing.

Addition: Years ago I was introduced to a “purist” in Arizona. His passion was chasing Mountain Lions on horseback while his pack of Dogs were on the trail. He cared less for the shooting. Went out with him one day, no Mountain Lions were cornered, but it was a hunt with some serious Dogs.

Not being all that comfortable horseback, and hanging on when the Dogs got hot, gave me an appreciation of his purist form of hunting. grin

Some folks do center their enjoyment around the dog work. I have too, and trained a few of them. I enjoy watching lion hounds as well as both flushing and pointing dogs do their thing. It is also however, the dog doing most all the actual hunting and the shooter doing more hiking and shooting, than hunting. I have done plenty of hunting with all three types of dogs and throughly enjoyed it all with a sense of satisfaction.

I also hunt birds on my own quite often and have learned how to up my success on birds such as chukar without a dog. I have killed plenty of wild pheasants and chukar without a dog and not by sluicing them. As far as ethics and sporting matters go, why not keep the dog at home? Doing so really teaches a person how to bird hunt.

There’s lots of ways to look at these things.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks

Ducks don’t always make passes and turkeys don’t always sneak into decoys. I am not sure what difference that would make anyhow.

I believe it was my 3rd Tom way back when I was about 20 years old, that he sailed in to my calls/decoy and I dumped him the instant he hit the ground.

My last bird I bumped from the roost well after daylight and I knocked him down like a flushed pheasant. It was glorious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks

You posted it, not me.

Please post some evidence that you’re really not this dumb.
I'm not. I realize that while we may not agree on method my way doesn't mean I am right and I don't look down my nose at those who have a different ethics/morals yet legal method.

I also don't resort to calling others dumb or retarded because they prefer their ethically different method.

Never said you preferring to shoot your ducks from the air was dumb or wrong.

You enjoy it more and that's what you like to do, so be it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/22/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I was going it alone, most likely I would start at those places the Dog has already taught me.

Wonder around in the Grouse or Pheasant covers for a couple decades and you will pretty much know if you are in the right place by looking at it.

Last edited by battue; 01/22/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You would shoot ducks that landed in your decoys on the water?
It's much more sporting to wait until they're practically stationary 2 inches before they touch down.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Serious Duck hunting requires a lot of work and effort. Be interesting to know who does a lot of it. And if they hunt with friends, how they feel about shooting them on the water.

The few times I’ve gone with those who take it seriously, it obviously wouldn’t have been a good idea.

Last edited by battue; 01/22/23.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Here's the beauty.of it.

Idgaf if the "serious" hunters give af about it.

However, if one was to extend an invite, I would respect their wishes and not water swat.

I shot a gorgeous drake spoon as we began to rise up after a perfect stalk this afternoon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Backroads
^^^doofus^^^^

Been looking in the Montana FWP Migratory and Upland Regs for any quotes by you, surprised to find none?

Probably should write a letter to them, make sure your feelings get included next year.

Ok

Montana Fish and Wildlife
1 Brier Patch way
Billings, MT

Gentlemen,

In the migratory bird proclamation, please add the following:

“backroads and other ground-slooshers like him, are doofuses”

Thank you
Lol, I hunt over pointers and only shoot birds above shoulder level. I jump shoot ducks out of a canoe and by sneaking in on them, only ones I swat are cripples that keep swimming away. If you had read the thread you would have seen that I only shoot birds in the air, but could care less how anyone else legally does it.

It is always entertaining when the morality police interject themselves in other folks business, keep up the good work!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Serious Duck hunting requires a lot of work and effort. Be interesting to know who does a lot of it. And if they hunt with friends, how they feel about shooting them on the water.

The few times I’ve gone with those who take it seriously, it obviously wouldn’t have been a good idea.
Does serious duck hunting require super serious facial expressions while hunting? Ties and tweed?

Lol

Some serious business here boys, requires serious hunters.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, they usually look like something drug up from the swamp.

Unless they are wearing Sitka gear and shooting Boss!!!

😂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is truly amazing how much money folks spend to hunt ducks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Serious money, lol

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Backroads
It is truly amazing how much money folks spend to hunt ducks.

Duck is easily the most expensive meat we eat. And worth every penny!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What's serious duck hunting?

25 days or so every season, plus early trip to Canada or Nodak.

Yella dog has already picked up 420+ birds this season. And this is from a camp with 3 dogs. We've beat the brakes off em the last few weeks.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nothing wrong with shooting ducks on the water, especially when they dive, get ready and pop them when they come back up. Just dont shoot my 300 dollar carved decoys!

Last edited by killerv; 01/31/23.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Each to his own way it thinking. I never skillet shot Quail during the 25 years I owned pointers.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.