Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That seems really odd. I've never experienced anything that dramatic. What are you cleaning it with?

BP-B6

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Semi custom M70 fwt 280 em. when zeroed it shot a 5 shot group that was sub half MOA. took it home and cleaned it thoroughly. took it back to the range today and the first shot was 6 inches low and 3 inches left. next two shots were and 2 inches left of center and dead center vertically. next shot was an inch further right adn an inche higher. the next several shots were dead center adn 2 inches high. Right where the original zero was. all I can think of is that the rifle likes to be dirty
Yep.. Most factory barrels shoot better when slightly fouled... I've had guys come in sayin' their rifles are thoroughly cleaned, yet shoot like crap.. I've told 'em to stop cleaning the dang thing UNTIL the groups start to open up..

Many have come back in later or called me to say 'you were right'..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
All of of mine shoot somewhat differently after cleaning. Not as extreme as the OP's but enough that I sight in before deer or groundhog season and then don't clean until after the season.

Dale

This space for rent

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I usually help a couple people with loads and or sighting in if their rifles. After we are done the advice is don’t clean till after season. Some rifles aren’t bad and some change quite a bit when cleaned. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 rifles that will not lose zero bare metal clean and a cold bore. My .257 WM with a Bartlein barrel and my 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X bolt. Both have McM stocks. This is shooting out to 550 yards. Have a couple of others that I need to really check out.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a Win 70 featherweight in 280 that is the same way. Would not start grouping until 10 rds had already been sent down the tube. So, I scrubbed it all down and applied the Dynatek ultra bore coat, shot till it started grouping again and haven't cleaned it since. It'll put Berger VLD's into under 1/2" groups. I'll probably never clean that barrel again.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
does it harm the barrel to leave it fouled for a season? like will rust begin where there is copper and powder fouling since there isn't any oil to protect the bore?
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sounds like the OP has discovered something about his rifle that we all would like to discover about our own, that is, exactly what it takes to make that particular rifle shoot sub 1/2 inch with that particular ammo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by whitearrow
does it harm the barrel to leave it fouled for a season? like will rust begin where there is copper and powder fouling since there isn't any oil to protect the bore?
Big Ed

I leave mine dirty throughout the season, but I will pull a dry Boresnake through it several times after a wet day. Its not the powders so much as it is the jacket material filling in the tool marks. Your Gold buddy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I very seldom clean my high volume rifle barrels unless there's a reason, which is rare unless it's an overbore chambering that's pushed hard. I've got a couple 6.5CMs that I shoot in PRS matches that have had their muzzle brakes cleaned more frequently than their barrels. These rifles have been cleaned every 600-800 rounds. Accuracy returns after the barrels are fouled.

i've also generally stopped scrubbing hunting rifle barrels like I used to. Unless there's a loss in accuracy, I'm putting a rifle up for long term or some other incidental reason, I don't clean the bores. Store riles vertically with bolts open or bolts out and shoot'em dirty.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 83 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.