Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
some here know, and some don't. Oct 29th of this year my 17 month old daughter passed. She died in my arms while I was doing CPR. I let her down, when she needed her daddy the most. to be honest i'm struggling with it, to say the least. I will always blame myself.

I tell you that because it will give some context to the rest of this post, and hopefully help you guys and myself make better sense of it. I don't really ahve the drive to hunt this year, but I despise sitting in the house even worse so i've been forcing myself to do things. making over detailed plans has helped keep my mind busy outside of work.

Opening Day....yes I know both are capitalized, but this is PA and the deer opener is a State Holliday, or atleast should be. The plan is to set up on the edge of a freshly Combined cornfieldof about 300 acres in a pop up blind. i'll set the blind up very, very early opening day, i'm not too concerned about deer seeing it and getting sketchy because by the time they see it that well they should already be dead. I'll have good shooting of 500 yards to both right and left and about 200 to the front. I am choosing this spot because two of us killed bucks within minutes of each other on the second day of the season last year from this same field. and weather conditions will be very similar.

Day 2: I think the second day is going to find me deep into the woods on our lease, on a steep side hill logging road that is above another farm. noone ever goes this far into the land becaause, well it's steep and takes a while to get there. however there is a thick grove of hemlocks and big white pines, above a lowland oak flat. if the wind holds out this should be a good spot to sit. This plan can change depending on if my 6 year old wants to hunt the second day, she has dance rehearsal all day on the opener.

Day 3 I will have the entire lease to myself and will probably do some Still hunting. there is one particular 40 acre piece that takes me about 8 hours to still-hunt it. the projected wind looks great to o from top to bottom. I have killed quite a few dear in the past 6 or 7 years hunting this piece, most of them killed in their bed, by hunting the crosswind and catching them watching their down wind back trail, opposite from where I wlll be stalking them from. The worst part about this piece is the grade and sheer amount of deadfalls amassed in it. it is just much easier to quarter up a deer and haul out of there than it is trying to drag it to the truck. typically if it's cold a small fired of pine branches and dried down hardwoods is built, and time is taken getting the animal broke down and prepped for hauling. once in a while a tenderloin is seasoned with salt and pepper and broailed over the coals on a green hardwod skewer and enjoyed with some hot black coffee.

Day 4 may very likely find me checking out a new piece of land that we leased, aside from walking it and posting it I haven't spent much time but its a mixture of oak flats, plantation pines, shot hemlocks and ag field borders with a Pipeine right of way dissecting it.

Day 5-7 I may spend some time exploring the local State forest, there are a 100,000 plus acres of Game Lands and Forest close to me that ive always wanted to hang out in, much more than I do.

Day 8 will find me back at the lease, I'll have a spot to sit based on the weeks findings and will sit until about 9, then we start deer drives for the remainder of the day. After that I will head back to work until Wednesday and have the last friday and Saturday to hunt if need be.

Or I may just drive around all week asking myself why.

Last edited by gitem_12; 11/21/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't know that about your daughter.

No parent should have to go through that. Ever.

You have my sincere condolences, and I hope you and your wife can find peace in each other.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't know about your daughter. I'm so, so sorry.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't imagine and have no words.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I didn’t know, very sorry to hear that!

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Damn that’s a tough one dude, hopefully you can find the energy to get out and clear your head.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Its very tough and I couldn't even imagine the thoughts going threw your head but time will lighten the blow it will be many years.....my wife lost her son a Marine in Iraq 14 years ago 5 days before shipping out she still has a hard time....
Never let there memory diminish don't make it alter there memory for the worst......

Go hunting have a great day weather you fill a tag or not clean your mind.....it will do you good......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Very tough one and nobody can even imagine what you're going through.

Try to concentrate on the good memories.

It will be a long tough journey for sure but give your wife all she needs and if you have an other kids they will need you as well.

Every day will be one day closer to being with her again.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jeeze bud I have no words except condolences. If hunting helps you I hope you have a good season.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear Gitem can't imagine - not much more to be said.

Hope you get what you need from the season.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You and your family have my condolences. Follow your plan and don't beat yourself up over the "why".

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So sorry about your daughter git'em. Honestly, I can't even imagine and don't want to, on what you're going through.

Do the Day 2 thing with your 6-y-old. Spending time with her, even if you're not really hunting, would help I'd think. Rest assured, you're still a great Dad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like most people, I've never been there. My advice is to remember just how valuable you are to your family and do what's best for them and for yourself. It sounds like you're keeping it between the lines at this point, so I'd focus on getting out there and trying to do anything "normal" that helps ensure that life keeps on happening. Hang in there.....

Now with even more aplomb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,226
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.