Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by MOGC
Why does your wife not like for you to carry?

She thinks that being armed encourages a$$holes to get confrontational.

You sure she's not talking about you?

πŸ˜‚πŸ€­ Sorry, couldn't resist. Only kidding of course, I don't know if you're an a$$hole it not.

Well, I did shoot the guy who broke into my house and aimed his Glock at me. He and his family sure thought that I was an a$$hole for confronting him with that load of 12 gauge #4 buckshot in my family room at around 4 AM. It was a major PITA and cost me over $10K in legal fees to defend the civil suit that the young man brought against me for the damages that he incurred.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Occasionally, mostly depending where/when I'm hunting.

I've shot a few coyotes with .22 MAG revolvers while deer hunting from elevated stands.

There aren't any bears where I have hunted in IA/KS/MO/NE and you'd be in serious trouble with the authorities if you killed a mountain lion, unless you could show them bleeding wounds that had been infliced by the dead mountain lion.

Now that I'm in my mid-60s every ounce of extra weight has to have enough use/value for me to want to carry it far afield.

In Iowa, you can shoot a lion, if need be, as they are a species non-grata β€” neither game animal or varmint/predator as to classification. In fact, for a long while, the DNR denied any were here. Until a road kill here or there, tracks, and a couple of rifle-kills provided indisputable evidence they were. Granted, most likely in small numbers.

The Loess Hills in western Iowa are series of rough timbered ravines running north-south parallel to the Missouri and are filled with all kinds of lion buffet items which I’m sure some have found and now call home. Even turkey hunting there when the foliage is out has a new spicey feeling.

I hunt IA deer in the Loess Hills area, as far south as Glenwood and as far north as Pisgah.

The only mountain lion that I've ever seen in the wild was in the sourthwestern edge of the Omaha metro area. It was chasing a nice whitetail buck in a field where a Wal-Mart has since been built, near the intersection of I-80 and NE-370 in Gretna.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
yes i carry my 44 mag mountain gun in a chest holster. when sitting i lay it on the ground beside me on my right side for the off shoulder shots. i am good for one well placed single handed off hand shot with it to about 40 yards. after that the groups tend to open up as they say.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

πŸ˜‚πŸ€­ Sorry, couldn't resist. Only kidding of course, I don't know if you're an a$$hole it not.

Well, I did shoot the guy who broke into my house and aimed his Glock at me. He and his family sure thought that I was an a$$hole for confronting him with that load of 12 gauge #4 buckshot in my family room at around 4 AM. It was a major PITA and cost me over $10K in legal fees to defend the civil suit that the young man brought against me for the damages that he incurred.

That raises some fundamental questions. Did our legal system give him the revolving door? How about you were threatened with bodily harm or death after he broke in, entered and pointed a pistol at you? Was he charged? Convicted?

He might have paid you the 10k just for still being upright and exchanging air.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Nope. Never felt the need to under the OP's specific criteria.

Going in for another load of meat and there isn't another critter in season to justify bringing the rifle? Yes I usually pack a handgun then, but not because of bears or cats. I carry it for grouse. If on horseback going in for the meat I will also carry one just in case I have to put an animal down.

Bears and Cats is a good enough reason for me....Besides, it’s vary dark in them woods.

Nobody home, but us chickens

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
β€œMolon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That raises some fundamental questions. Did our legal system give him the revolving door? How about you were threatened with bodily harm or death after he broke in, entered and pointed a pistol at you? Was he charged? Convicted?

He broke into my home and pointed a loaded, stolen, Glock at me when I confronted him and told him to drop the gun. He was charged and convicted on multiple charges. He got a light sentence, probably because he was young, he was a meth user, and a lot of people felt sorry for him due to his injuries. He sued me from prison, using an attorney who took the case for a percentage of whatever he won. He won nothing and was ordered to pay my court costs, as it was deemed to be a frivolous suit, but I still had to pay my attorney in full and the plaintiff made only a few token payments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Upside down as is almost everything in society today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

He broke into my home and pointed a loaded, stolen, Glock at me when I confronted him and told him to drop the gun. He was charged and convicted on multiple charges. He got a light sentence, probably because he was young, he was a meth user, and a lot of people felt sorry for him due to his injuries. He sued me from prison, using an attorney who took the case for a percentage of whatever he won. He won nothing and was ordered to pay my court costs, as it was deemed to be a frivolous suit, but I still had to pay my attorney in full and the plaintiff made only a few token payments.

That sucks. His lawyer should have been on the hook for whatever percentage his stake in a win would have been.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Upside down as is almost everything in society today.

I was just glad to have it over, 'cause the stress of having to deal with crap that you shouldn't have to deal with justs wears on a person.

I got accosted in the grocery store by someone who had heard that I chased the unarmed kid out of the house and down the street before I shot him in the back and then shot his hand off when he was laying helpless on the ground. The kid's father apolgiesed to me right after it happened, then changed his mind and told people that I shouldn't have shot sonny even if he was armed with a loaded, stolen, gun because I should have recognized that he was high on meth, didn't know what he was doing, and wasn't a threat to anyone but himself.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Some people need killing. That is a fact.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes i do, 44 cal Sharps rifle in hand calls for a FA 44 Special on hip, 45 cal Sharps mated with 45 Colt SAA, 50 cal Sharps call for the 500 Linebaugh, bow hunting is either G21 Glock or Dan Wesson 1911 10mm.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Of course....why wouldn't you?

Neither a bolt rifle nor a muzzleloader make a very effective defensive weapon. I'm not worried about critters, but people suck and have a tendency to show up where they ought not be.

Everyone is welcome to their choice.

If given the choice of either a handgun or bolt gun, I'll go with the bolt action rifle.

Having both is certainly good....

That choice makes less than no sense....but whatever blows your skirt up.

Yes sir, we're free to make our on choices.

Compare any choice of common handgun ammo with a common hunting rifle ammo. Speed, energy, bullet weight....and most importantly, range. Wars are fought with rifles...handguns are for concealment and ease of carry. Nothing wrong with having both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear a sidearm. Where I hunt it's close to the border and we're getting illegals coming through. I carry not just for illegals, but the snakes. They're everywhere.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For nearly 40 years I hunted only with handguns. Was very successful. Killed 2 deer this year so far. Both 1911 guns in .38 super and 10mm. I have been hunting with rifles for a few years as well. When I hunt with long guns I still always have a handgun as well. I just acquired one of my bucket list guns. A Smith 624 in .44 special. It will be with me on a hunt tomorrow.

Last edited by Lonerider; 11/22/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Should always carry a sidearm, with 2 bullets. One for the perp, the other for his lawyer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually.
I carry a little 22lr revolver for grouse.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I used to when I hunted a TX lease. Snakes were always a concern but being close to the border the drug runners were the primary reason for having the 9mm Kahr P9 with. Luckily it was only used to dispatch a few deer thus saving rifle rounds. I did unload a mag on a coyote once from 25-50 yds but he left unscathed.

Never felt the need for a sidearm when hunting my chosen haunts in ND and MT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry a sidearm unless in the jail or Courthouse

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I carry a sidearm unless in the jail or Courthouse

Spend a lot of time in those places? smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a Probation Officer yes

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.