Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I appreciate the info on the skunk and am planning to incorporate that stuff into my dog bag this weekend. My big game seasons are over...look out roosters!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Returned from Dukxdogs Pheasant camp...Weather was nice, then a light snow, then some 30-50mph winds...Didn't see as many Birds as last year, but more than enough if you put in the leg work....Any who think they are stocking Birds on public lands, need to go out there and take a hike....

Ran into very few others hunting....

A few pics.....Merlot had a fine time.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Friends Setter has a deadly nose....he could have cashed him in if he wanted to...

Last edited by battue; 11/20/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good deal Battue. Glad you got your exercise and some birds. What every hunter understands and what every type of hunting offers is the complete package of camaraderie, dogs, weather, the countryside, exuberance, weariness, and great shooting. Or a day when you are behind every bird.

Then there’s camp, food, a tent, or a motel with a hot tub, a celebratory cold one, and a nap. 🙂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh, and great pics as usual. Did your SxS’s get the week off?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Oh, and great pics as usual. Did your SxS’s get the week off?

Missed three easy Birds in perhaps an hour with it...So it paid the penalty and was put away... laugh

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great pictures battue thanks for putting them up. Love the dogs.

Hugh
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by battue
Returned from Dukxdogs Pheasant camp...Weather was nice, then a light snow, then some 30-50mph winds...Didn't see as many Birds as last year, but more than enough if you put in the leg work....Any who think they are stocking Birds on public lands, need to go out there and take a hike....

Ran into very few others hunting....

A few pics.....Merlot had a fine time.

Friends Setter has a deadly nose....he could have cashed him in if he wanted to...

It looks like Clancy has filled out a bit. I’m glad to see that you and Phil had another great trip out there. I’m sure Merlot had a blast. He is certainly an enthusiastic bird dog! We still plan to head that way next year. We are getting ready to start more serious/disciplined training with Rocky. So far, it has all been fun stuff, with no discipline involved. Thanks for posting the pictures, Harry.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a fantastic time!

dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just wait until you see photos of Higgi with birds next year. Merlot has a new buddy. He is a black ball of energy yet calms down nicely with some petting.

Merlot has real personality!

Clancy is a real bird dog. Methodical and thorough searcher. Solid points. Needs a bit of work on the retrieve but that's not a tough fix. A guy can kill lots of birds over Clancy!

Always great to gave Harry and Phil out for the hunt!

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some days fly by faster than others....Einstein could have studied 10 days hunting Wild Roosters at the Bunkhouse and saved a lot of time and chalk.....

Last edited by battue; 11/23/21.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think he got it..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Notice....He avoided mentioning chokes....smart fellow.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ha I love that

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Wednesday it was about 18 deg. and blowing 25-30 mph almost all day. Very challenging to shoot in that kind of wind.

We were nearly back to the vehicle (me lagging behind) when knucklehead went on a hard point by a hay bale. I watched my son walk in, and up went a rooster. He shot and the bird went down. I walked up and the dog was still looking for it where it had fallen. Son told me he got a glimpse of it running north. There was no way to tell the dog that, so we just let him work it out. A running rooster can cover a lot of ground fast so you hope the dog figures it out quickly.

After a very long couple of minutes he finally broke from the fall-area and headed north for 50 yds, then peeled off to the NW, tail wagging furiously the whole time, working back and forth.. At about 100 yds out there was a scramble and he caught him! Here he is bringing him back. Tough scenting conditions in wind like that, but their noses are amazing.

Without a good dog we'd have had no prayer of finding that bird.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good dog!

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love stuff like that!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
My lab got skunked too. All just part of it.

So did Otis. 2nd year in a row. Quart of 3% peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, squirt of Dawn dishsoap, sponge it on, rub it in , let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse off. That got 97% of the smell. They say doing it a second time will get 99%+. His collars still have a bit of an odor...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's the exact recipe I used. And yes, collars still had some smell when duck season opened. Now, I think it's gone.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Massengill (or any other brand) douche works very well at reducing skunk odor. It takes up less space, if that is an issue, and is already mixed for easy use. Just expect a few odd looks if you have to pick it up in your hunting clothes!

I'm off to SoDak Wednesday afternoon. Supposed to head out tomorrow but want to attend a funeral on Wednesday. Looks like the weather will be comparatively decent this time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes the weather should be about perfect. Too hot right now but cooling for the weekend.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not going to make it to SD this year. Between the funeral for a friend's father and my wife "volunteering" me ("Well, you didn't leave Tuesday so I figured you weren't going!" was her justification) to help move her stepmother tomorrow it doesn't make sense to head out for only three days. This means I'll skip the second trip too as the remainder of the year is booked for other things.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
206 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.