Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
This ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve tried many times and just can’t get on board with a busy reticle. I don’t mind some basic wind holds like a Swaro 4w, but that’s it. I want nothing on the vertical. 35+ years of hunting with a plex crosshair and it’s what I like. End of story.

The SHV 3-10 is what I’ve also come up with as the best compromise, but my eyes at the range like a little more than 10x. In the field it’s enough. And yes I am aware of the limitations with fov and SFP at max range.

Has anyone torture tested a Zeiss V4? I have one on a .270, not much of a test tho but it’s been flawless. I also have a V6 on a 7mag that I love, but no V6 in the size I want.

a 3-12 has become my favorite all around scope power range for general use. enough on the low high end for load development and low enough on the low end for quick shots on moving animals. the scopes are also generally sized in a manner than isn't too big as well. I have a zeiss v4 in 3-12, its a great scope so far. honestly I can't say how durable it is. I suspect its going to hold up very well. I asked one of the big whig guys about the v4 line and told them they should offer it with the zero stop turret like what is offered on the 4-16 model. he said they don't have any plans of doing that and that its unlikely. I have static tested the 3-12 and found about 1% tracking error, if my memory serves. the 3-12 has covered turrets and isn't meant to be a dialing scope. 1% tracking error is not going to be noticed by anyone and is within spec and very much within passing range IMO. I use the reticle to hold off on this scope and rifle combo as I don't intend to shoot it past 450 ish for example I tested an elite 4200 2 weeks ago 4-16, again capped turrets. error was about 6%. I don't intend to dial that scope either, its repeatable and is fine for the use I will use it for.

if you really like the 3-12 power range, I would suggest huskemaw. I have one that has been bounced around for 3 seasons. the scope tracks perfectly. still will dial up and hit where its supposed to hit. its on the rifle I hunt with the most. The downside is huskemaw might one day not be in business, if you need scope repair you are f'd. The other downside is based on that downside they are expensive if you pay retail. I suggest NOT paying retail, LOL. there are ways of doing that. The other downside is the show its associated with and the name of the scope is hokey and your friends might make fun of you. aside from all that, its one hell of a scope, I would buy another all day long for the rifle I use it on.

the other scope you might be overlooking is the v4 4-16 model. I own 2 of them now. both track absolutely perfectly, (and YES I check!!) zero stop turret, covered windage. If I knew they were totally durable I would sell my two NXS nightforce scopes and replace them with v4's they are optically the best scopes I have.

the LRHS is probably one of the most durable, but I personally dislike FFP in a 3-12 power range. the 4-18 model handles the reticle much better.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 11/21/21.
GB1

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
This ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve tried many times and just can’t get on board with a busy reticle. I don’t mind some basic wind holds like a Swaro 4w, but that’s it. I want nothing on the vertical. 35+ years of hunting with a plex crosshair and it’s what I like. End of story.

The SHV 3-10 is what I’ve also come up with as the best compromise, but my eyes at the range like a little more than 10x. In the field it’s enough. And yes I am aware of the limitations with fov and SFP at max range.

Has anyone torture tested a Zeiss V4? I have one on a .270, not much of a test tho but it’s been flawless. I also have a V6 on a 7mag that I love, but no V6 in the size I want.

a 3-12 has become my favorite all around scope power range for general use. enough on the low high end for load development and low enough on the low end for quick shots on moving animals. the scopes are also generally sized in a manner than isn't too big as well. I have a zeiss v4 in 3-12, its a great scope so far. honestly I can't say how durable it is. I suspect its going to hold up very well. I asked one of the big whig guys about the v4 line and told them they should offer it with the zero stop turret like what is offered on the 4-16 model. he said they don't have any plans of doing that and that its unlikely. I have static tested the 3-12 and found about 1% tracking error, if my memory serves. the 3-12 has covered turrets and isn't meant to be a dialing scope. 1% tracking error is not going to be noticed by anyone and is within spec and very much within passing range IMO. I use the reticle to hold off on this scope and rifle combo as I don't intend to shoot it past 450 ish for example I tested an elite 4200 2 weeks ago 4-16, again capped turrets. error was about 6%. I don't intend to dial that scope either, its repeatable and is fine for the use I will use it for.

if you really like the 3-12 power range, I would suggest huskemaw. I have one that has been bounced around for 3 seasons. the scope tracks perfectly. still will dial up and hit where its supposed to hit. its on the rifle I hunt with the most. The downside is huskemaw might one day not be in business, if you need scope repair you are f'd. The other downside is based on that downside they are expensive if you pay retail. I suggest NOT paying retail, LOL. there are ways of doing that. The other downside is the show its associated with and the name of the scope is hokey and your friends might make fun of you. aside from all that, its one hell of a scope, I would buy another all day long for the rifle I use it on.

the other scope you might be overlooking is the v4 4-16 model. I own 2 of them now. both track absolutely perfectly, (and YES I check!!) zero stop turret, covered windage. If I knew they were totally durable I would sell my two NXS nightforce scopes and replace them with v4's they are optically the best scopes I have.

the LRHS is probably one of the most durable, but I personally dislike FFP in a 3-12 power range. the 4-18 model handles the reticle much better.

You know, based on specs, there is a lot to like on those Huskemaw scopes. But that dang show is just so bad. I’ve always been turned off of them because of that show!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya, I actually put tape over the logo on the parallax knob, LOL. otherwise its an awesome scope. built in the same factory that makes the very best japanese optics out there. bushnell elite tactical, v4, I also think LOW optical makes the parts for nightforce that they assemble in the US. I think I paid $700 for mine, at that price its very tuff to beat.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good to know. Thanks.

As for the SHV, is there still a non illuminated version? I don’t see one on NF’s website but seems I remember one existing at one point.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good to know. Thanks.

As for the SHV, is there still a non illuminated version? I don’t see one on NF’s website but seems I remember one existing at one point.

You remember correctly.
They discontinued it a couple of years ago.

IC B2

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Good to know. Thanks.

You remember correctly.

Lame!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If it has to be a regular plex then NF SHV 3-10 is the closest. They dial well if you don't mind removing the turret cap.

The LRHS 3-12 is a solid option on a FFP with dial but it isn't a plain plex. It's a very "huntable" FFP reticle from near to far. It is much more of a "dialing" scope.

I sighted in a S&B Klassic 3-12 yesterday evening. Adjustments were perfect on sight in. Very nice scope. I've had good results from several Klassic 6x42's and I expect the same from the 3-12. S&B doesn't have a plex but they have some plainer reticles like the A7. I really like their P3 (basic mil-dot) reticle...not to busy, 4 posts, wind/elevation holds. I believe the current production models of the Klassic 3-12 all come with FFP reticles....different people may prefer or not prefer that. I really like it with the P3 reticle.

https://schmidtundbender.de/en/products/hunting/3-12x42-klassik.html

https://schmidtundbender.de/en/products/hunting/3-12x50-klassik.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not 3X12 but the Tract 3X15 is an exceptional scope and at the price an extraordinary value.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Find a Sightron Big Sky 3-12 and you’ll have all you need

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good to know. Thanks.

You remember correctly.

Lame!

I think it was a good move to stop offering the parallax adjustment option. On a 10x scope for big game, it's kind of superfluous. The lit versions are very well done, and I'd choose it over the parallax adjustment.

However, if you just have to have a duplex reticle with parallax adjustment, I have a 3-10 SHV so configured that I'd think of parting with. Shoot me a PM if interested.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 with IHR reticle would work well. If you want more magnification, the NXS 3-15 will do the job, but is adding more weight if that matters. On a .338, the extra weight might tame it a bit.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Unicorn Bushy LRTSi or newly release LRSH2 (with a slight bump in power range).

NF SHV

Zeiss V4 (although capped wind/ele in the 3-12x range)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an older 3-10 SHV, with the parallax adjustment. It’s a nice scope, but on a long action you’ll really be locked into one position unless you get fancy with the rings/mounts. It tracks well and the glass is nice; the feel of the turret is really not great; mushy feeling clicks, rough patches when turning it.... I almost wonder if mine should go back to the mothership, as I’ve not heard others complain about this... anyway I’ve moved it around on several rifles and it’s done great. It’s currently residing in an Aero Precision mount on my semi-heavy AR15 and I’m looking forward to dialing the rifle out there a ways just for grins. I wouldn’t personally put it on my .338 WM; the eye relief seems a bit short for my tastes for that. YMMV.

I came into the Zeiss V4’s via these 1-4x30’s they offered for a while. They went on closeout when they disco’d them, at a sick price for a Jap scope with the feature set and of that high quality, so I snagged a couple. They live on AR’s as well. But they were so nice I have now bought two more V4’s, a 4-16x44 and a 4-16x50. They can be had as “demo’s” for a fairly great price (for what you get). The 44mm version, I got with the duplex and it’s very easy to see in low light. For the 50mm I got the simplest of the fancy reticles, with illumination; I forget the number, basically a simple crosshair with some hashes (not a dang xmas tree with tiny wee numbers and words that I can’t read anyway, lol)...... I plan on buying one more of these before this buying fever subsides. smile They are a really nice rifle sight, from what I can tell so far. The lack of reloading supplies is preventing me from really wringing them out, but I can say, zeroing them at the range, playing around there, and doing a little long range shooting at steel they’ve behaved like my Nightforce scopes. They go where you dial them, then come back to zero. The dude at the place I buy them said they are made in the same factory as NF SHV’s with “the same stuff” internally. Can’t say yay or nay to that, but it does appear to be the case. The turret is far superior to the SHV turret setup, and I like it better than the turret on my big NF NXS, too. It’s a really slick design.

It’s a shame they don’t put the fancy turret on the 3-12. I can say a couple things there. First, it’s the same design as the capped turret on the older Conquests, just upsized for a 30mm tube. I have used the capped turret on multiple older Conquests with great results; it’s actually a good setup, for what it is. Workable. And second, any turret is basically a glorified coin turning a slot, like the old days with scopes. What I mean by that is, most of the precision, or lack of, is in the internals- primarily the erectors. If the 3-12 has the same high quality internals as the other V4’s, and why wouldn’t it, but just with a simpler “coin”’turning them, it could be a real sleeper.

The older Meopta-built Conquests were optically brilliant. These new V4’s are a notch above that. Really nice.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A Zeiss Conquest failed on one of my light .308’s in less than 100 rounds. They are a long way from “bomb proof.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffbird
A Zeiss Conquest failed on one of my light .308’s in less than 100 rounds. They are a long way from “bomb proof.”

Anything man made can fail. I can fully vouch for Zeiss as their scopes have been bullet proof for me. I had one on a 375 ruger and a 416 ruger and shot it a bunch. Also had one on light weight 375 rum and it lived and never gave me an issue.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For those of you who are running the latest iteration of 3-12 or so Zeiss Conquests: Are you regularly dialing with them?

They don't really offer a reticle configuration that interests me at this time, but maybe they will at some point?

As to eye relief on the SHV being enough for a 338 - I have one on a 7 lbs 338 that I've shot prone, and I've never had even the faintest worry about scope brow. Also have one mounted on a light Tikka in 300 win mag, and no concerns there either. They have a forgiving eye box, so mounting them, even without a lot of room to position them, is really not an issue.

Of course, you can eliminate a lot of issues with a rail, but they often result in scopes with objectives under 50mm being higher than need be. On actions where the scope mount screw holes are aligned with each other and with the barrel, I've had nothing but great experiences with using 2 piece Warne and Burris 2 piece XTR bases. The Burris are multi slot to accommodate whatever scope positioning you need, and they are pic compatible so you have more options in rings, including the use of Burris Signature XTR rings to add inclination to the set up without adding too much hight via a pitched rail.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Nightforce “unitized” ultralight mount on my heavy 7 WSM (which has a NF NSX 5-25 on it) and I like it. It’s like Talleys connected by a rail, sorta, but much cleaner and simpler. I really am not into rails on “hunting“ rifles; way too tacticool for me.

May not be relevant to anyone reading but I’ll mention it in case- if your M700 has a one-piece PTG bolt, you’ll need medium Talleys to clear the ocular of a V4. That’s how I ended up with the 4-16x50mm V4; if I was going mediums anyway, might as well max out the scope objective. That rifle, a GAP Extreme Hunter clone, has a Manners SL stock that works great with mediums anyway so no biggie.... Also FWIW, the 4-16x50 V4 is optically superior to the 44mm version beyond just being quite a bit brighter in dank grey light. It’s better at full mag, better eye box.

As to durability, only time will tell, but they are showing me enough that I’m bullish on them for now. I can’t remember a scope I’ve owned that was rock solid in terms of tracking and RTZ and repeating, that later conked out.... I mean, I own or have owned a half-dozen of the Meopta Conquests and run/ran them for many rounds on hard kickers, including my .338 which has had two different models on it. No issues, and I’d be really surprised if the Jap V4’s were LESS bombproof. But, I’ve been surprised before.

Side note, the Meopta Conquest 3-9x40 is the best general purpose hunting scope I’ve ever used on long action hard-kickers. Miles of eye relief, solid mechanics, great optically in all ways.

Anyway, back to the V4’s, if someone can point me at some H1000 and 7828, I’d be thrilled to give them a major workout. I have bullets, brass, steel plates, and primers galore but I’m down to my last couple pounds of those powders and I’m not gonna burn it up just to stress-test a scope.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

With those stipulations I would go nightforce SHV 3-10 with forceplex and not worry about the loss on the top end.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ all day, every day. I have 3 of them & they just work as advertised; about as bulletproof as you're going to find, IMO.

But, I have to admit, I've used several of the older Leupold VX III & Vari-X III's 2.5-8's on 338's with a lot of horseback miles & backs of trucks with never an issue.

I can't say how the new ones are but I just decided to give a Mark 3 HD 3-9 a whirl to see how it works, but not on a 338.

MM

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks some good info here...

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,234
Posts18,466,711
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.