Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 158XTP
I miss zero speed bumps, no seat belts, no fences on backyards pools, no dogs leashed, no eperbs on boats, no gun laws, no swimming restrictions, no camping permits, no bike helmets, no gunsafes( never had anything stolen) only 2 TV channels, most yards with no fences, beers at lunch time then back to work, kids hanging about in groups of 6-20 after school playing cricket, tag or just cruising around to each others place. I miss when bad behaviour, lack of fortitude or poor judgement wasnt blamed on learned helplessness, OCD, PTSD, PMS, ADHD and all the other alphabet spaghetti nonsense. Explaining this to kids these days youi'd think the 70's and 80's must have been a warzone of uncaring pyscopaths, dogs attacking kids while dad crashed drunk into next doors unfenced pool in the middle of stolen firearm gunfights lol. But it wasnt. It was a quieter, easier and politer life than now.

On that note I miss how in a workplace you could set your watch by the way people acted, in that it rarely changed. Occasionally some guy might have a death in the family or divorce and seem a'' bit off'' for bit. Contrast this to a modern workplace where the mood//snakiness/verbal abuse cycle up and down several times in a bloody day. Everyone acting normal at 12pm... then everyone acting like angry dicks by 2pm. Actually can someone even explain what that phenomenon is??? It started in about 2002, I even remember the year and thinking wtf everyone is acting crazy, is the government putting something in the water lol. Still wondering now.

That's what I'm talking about. Couldn't have said it better. It may be an age thing, the time that you compare with.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It does hearten back to better times I would agree. I’ll play if I may. I’m a Yank from the Midwest. Western civ is all generally on the same trajectory IMO. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion, we are living a later state in the evolution of nations in the West.

Man is generally a selfish, guileful, corrupted creature (no one here of course 😮😉) and it’s this nature throughout history (the Roman Empire being an iconic example) that eventually leads the even the most civilized, industrial, wealthy nations, once it becomes completely secularized, first to moral degradation, and then everything else follows. And many nations, for the same reasons, never reach the civilized state to begin with.

But Western Europe and the US are going right down the old Roman road. Actually, some Eastern Europe leadership is doing much better than us in preserving some “good” conservative, nationalistic values.

Just a little morning (here) philosophy, and it’s not that I have a pessimistic outlook. Good day and the best to ya.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I remember back in my town in the mid to late 60's going rabbit shooting on my bike with my .22 rifle slung over my shoulder, magazine and bolt in place and people waving out saying, "good hunting" as I rode past them. Nowadays, if I walked down to my driveway to my 4x4 with a rifle some busy body neighbour would more than likely phone the cops in panic saying, "I just saw a man with a gun, help". Woke, PC idiots.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by zeissman
I remember back in my town in the mid to late 60's going rabbit shooting on my bike with my .22 rifle slung over my shoulder, magazine and bolt in place and people waving out saying, "good hunting" as I rode past them. Nowadays, if I walked down to my driveway to my 4x4 with a rifle some busy body neighbour would more than likely phone the cops in panic saying, "I just saw a man with a gun, help". Woke, PC idiots.

Same for me in the mid 70's. Brought 22 to school put in locker. rode bike with .22 to the woods by the school to hunt squirrel, grouse, rabbits after the school day.

Last edited by ribka; 11/24/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Virtual symmetry here, as I carried my dad’s old 12 ga through town to the grassy railroad ditches where I shot my fist pheasant, all before I had a driver’s license.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice video mate. Need to save these, videos like this will be considered evil propaganda one day, in fact probably already.

A white supramacist propaganda film lol

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I agree that it was right that the slogan was disregarded. It's so wonderful that Australia now has such a vibrant, multicultural community with lots of Middle Eastern folk, Indians, Chinese, and northern Africans and of course all the others with all the richness they bring. Think of all the nice food!

Australia should open its racist borders to a couple hundred million Chinese communist so it wouldn't be so racist. And more stir fried cat and dim sum dog

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
It's nice to dream about how things were in the 1950's: cities were smaller, less cars on the road, less people, less pollution. However in the modern world, for an isolated country to be able to defend itself it needs a large, strong economy and a large population. It needs the large, strong economy to buy the very expensive military hardware. It needs the large population to be able to have a large military and also to be able to sustain heavy casualties in a war...and the wars do happen. As the economy grows, it needs labour to feed that growth. The amount of additional wealth that can be generated through agriculture or minerals which are capital intensive is limited. So whether anyone likes it or not, the population needs to grow. Whether anyone likes it or not, it will grow. That population growth can come about by people reproducing in Australia, or through immigration (or a combination of both). It was recognized last century that people were not having enough children in Western countries. In fact there was negative population growth. Because of the failure to populate naturally, countries such as Australia relied heavily on immigration. Now for those who don't like the high levels of immigration, you only have yourselves to blame for failing to populate.

yankee kaHunt alert

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those days are gone.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by zeissman

In the mid-1980s I was a poor uni student and used to strap a rifle in a gun bag and over my shoulder, and ride my motorbike to the nearby rifle range (about 8km away) - never had any issue, either people didn't know or didn't care. This was in suburban Brisbane.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

D
dan_oz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My high school in suburban Sydney had a miniature rifle range down the back of the school oval, behind the tennis courts. It was set up for 25 yards smallbore.

We also had a school cadet corps, and a school armoury with .303 SMLEs and Brens. On cadet camps we would also shoot SLRs (L1A1), and we'd have bivouacs to which we took our .303s. This was commonplace, as every school had cadets.

As well, I would take the train, or sometimes hitchhike, to go to the range with my rifle to shoot in competition, from when I was about 14, and of course did a lot of hunting on the family farm and those of the neighbours as a kid, from the age of 10. No-one ever turned a hair at this, and getting your first rifle was a bit of a rite of passage, at least in the country areas.

Back then there was no firearms registration, other than for pistols, and you didn't need a licence as long as you were hunting on private land or shooting as a member of a rifle club. Clubs were administered under the Defence Act, a Federal law which trumped state regulation in relation to firearms, and we'd even get ammunition subsidised by the Federal Government for use in competition.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I still have my original QLD weapons licence issued in 1991. They were issued originally without an expiry date but that changed at some stage - not sure when since I moved to WA just after that. There was no firearm registration at that stage either. Prior to that we only needed proof of ID/age whenever we purchased a longarm firearm - typically a drivers license would do.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It all changed in '96, Port Arthur and John Howard.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT
It all changed in '96, Port Arthur and John Howard.

Ha, yes of course. How did I forget about that? I guess it was because I'd moved from minimal legal requirements in QLD to the most restrictive in the country in WA. WA already had licencing in place at that time and they had a low power/high power categorisation for long arms. I can't remember the definitions around that but 375Win was high power and 38/55 was low power (I had joined a lever action rifle club initially). Low power were available on an "open" licence and low power semi-autos didn't have a magazine capacity restriction. High power required club endorsement or property owner endorsement letter, and semi-autos had limited magazine capacity of 4 or 5 rounds - the BAR was the only rifle that I could think of that fit this category. Modified reduced mag capacity was not allowed. I had a semi-auto CZ 22mag rifle that I eventually had to "hand back" - got a very good price for it though, thank you tax payers. Bought another rifle with the money of course.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a semi auto takedown CZ .22, it was a great little shooter. I'd still have it if not for little Johnny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of you may not be aware but when the 96 laws came in govt wanted even more guns and gun types banned than they ended up with. A core of people got together to fight against it and the ability for us to own at least some guns is thanks to them. Mike McGuire who posts on this forum is one such gent who went in to bat for everyone. As far as I am concerned these blokes are national heros and should be part of Australia day awards, OAMS, the works.

Conversely there were several notable Australian gun writers who came out on the other side of the fence. . Happy to sell semi-autos down the tube.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You lucky bitch.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Conversely there were several notable Australian gun writers who came out on the other side of the fence. . Happy to sell semi-autos down the tube.

I remember that. I just can't recall who they were.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

Any idea what side Nick Harvey batted for?

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
You lucky bitch.

Don't sweat it bud, your turn is coming.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 67 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.