Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Unlike you.......I'll be out in the 'field' all day.

Originally Posted by Brad
Goodness, someone is off their meds…

I hunt elk in mountains, not fields.

Awesome...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
BP-B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It’s amazing what goofydick crap you’ll post when someone puts a burr under your saddle!

Happy Thanksgiving. Gobble til you wobble…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is the Mike Werner a sock puppet of llama bob or is the other way around? Either way turds be turds. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Is the Mike Werner a sock puppet of llama bob or is the other way around? Either way turds be turds. Mb

We smell what your stepping in!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But sidepass they seem so a like only come to troll and tell everyone they know everything and every one else is a dumbass. I was sure there had to be a connection.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm old school as far as rifles are concerned. I use my Savage 99 .308. Barnes TSX 150 gn. Seems to work for me.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WAM eats like every day is Thanksgiving. Large fork, please!

Someone please tell BuzzH we had to come back to drop off a few working-stiffs......but heading back towards Douglas today. Have a whitetail tag.....of all things.

Also tell him some of his internet friends gave up his name quite a while back. With friends like that.....

Assure him he is in no danger.......unless he swings his skateboard.

But if he still insists on cave-camping......we have another hunt scheduled for December 4th. Ration accordingly.

I'll be (solo) in the red grocery-getter.......Iowa plates. Everyone out there knows where I base tent camp. No phone service.

Originally Posted by WAM
It’s amazing what goofydick crap you’ll post when someone puts a burr under your saddle!

Happy Thanksgiving. Gobble til you wobble…

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Internet.........where even little guys can try to be bullies.

Originally Posted by GregW

Awesome...

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Lol. …… Clowns be clowns. So many clowns, so few circuses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM

I just assumed llama bob was another reincarnation of Larry Root.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Government over-regulation is likely the only reason
Darwin hasn't taken both of you.

Originally Posted by WAM

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Always the tough guy….

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
caveat. Did not read replies. Mostly due to what 24 hour has become..

308 and 168 ttsx was more impressive on moose than 338 win mag and 250 partitions... both moose dead by clients. Almost exact same range at around 100...

Wouldn't bother me in the least. OTOH I'd hunt moose or elk with a 243 too. Bullet choice. Shot placement. As with anything light you might have to pass a shot though... thats where the big boomers come in. but watching the 338 win mag at 250 partitions I'd have to pick another bullet for dang sure.. That bullet twice never made it to the ribs on the other side of a big moose and neither were full on shoulder bone shots...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had an old friend in Salcha, AK (Mr. Bradshaw) who only hunted with Savage Model 99 rifles. Said the 308 was useless on moose, but the 300 savage killed them "deader than dead."

He was old when I met him and is probably resting with the angels by now. This was 1989 timeframe, and all he shot was cup and core. His mantra was "placement, placement, and placement. In that order."

Most of the natives I met in the villages were shooting moose with 308s, and that was their "big gun."

They were big on sneaking closer, then "closer still." One guy, with one arm from an accident, hunted with an iron sighted Model Seven in 308 and had a moose for every family member darn near each year. He'd dog me when I hunted out there (near King Salmon) for bringing a "300 whatever the heck that thing is" instead of learning to be more stealthy and a better shot.

40 years later, I realize he was right.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
These old stories are fun.. But in most cases they are about some old timer who lived in the country with unlimited time to hunt... I knew one of these guys in my youth .. He kept his family fed on wild game.. Legal or other wise.. First he used a model 94 .30/30. He had a chance to pick up a 99.300 Savage. He didn't hesitate, it was his rifle, the kids got the .30-30s.. Then the 06 became more common in that area.. First chance he picked one of those up..

The residents in the far north used to use .22 Hornets and .222s for big game lots of ammo in a small package.. If game got away there is always another one.. This is JOC's writing.

Sure a .308 with kill elk.. One old rancher of my youth shot elk with his 722 .222. Ear shot in his hay fields late summer early winter.. Come season it was an 06 later a .264.. Another friend told me he had shot 150 elk with his .243.. They were shot in the ear while eating on his hay stacks in winter.. Meat was given to folks that needed it.. Hunting on his own, .270 or .300WM..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Shot my first Elk, while it was eating at one of our hay stacks, i was standing on a bunch of burlap sacks in the back of my Grandfathers International Harvester, pick up, Big dry cow, used a model 94 30-30, 1948 N.W. Colorado, I was 9 years old. we raised Beef, but we ate Elk. Times have changed for Damn sure. Rio7

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What I find interesting is the impression some have that a 300 mag is a good 500-600 yard elk cartridge but a 308 isn't a good 300-400 yard elk cartridge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman
What I find interesting is the impression some have that a 300 mag is a good 500-600 yard elk cartridge but a 308 isn't a good 300-400 yard elk cartridge.

Yeah, I always find that interesting too!

My personal experience with the .308 and elk indicates that if somebody has trouble with the .308 they either need to practice more, or maybe use a different bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Probably very true.. Not many use the .308 here.. But one of my pals in northeast Wyo.. Has outfitted his wife and girls with fairly heavy .308s but with the barrels cut of I think to about 20".. They slay piles of game with them.. I think they use 125 gr. Accubonds.. These girls are of slight stature but have been shooting since they could pick up a rifle. I guess the .308 on elk and the .223 on deer get old..

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
caveat. Did not read replies. Mostly due to what 24 hour has become..

lol.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.