Hop To
#16646360 11/22/21
N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I recently picked up a really nice mauser in 7x57 caliber and know very little about it, i was curious what exactly i have here. Is this the stronger 98action? Any info is appreciated. Pics in link should be clearer

https://imgur.com/a/CejhMqn

Attached Images
Last edited by Nate40; 11/22/21.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It appears to be a nice large ring 98… is the receiver ring marked in any way?

Last edited by John_Boy; 11/22/21.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Type S Mauser. Measure the action scew spacong, it'll tell you if it is an Intermediate or Standard length action. Most were intermediate. Was worth a pretty penny.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Congrats Nate on an interesting commercial Oberndorf Model 98 Mauser. Yours here, a Model "S" Stutzen (full stock model without apparent steel stock muzzle cap). As chambering original in 7x57 it's an "Intermediate" action, such as a factory exclusive length utilized in that chambering. The "N" suffix, same as English "Normal". The bolt has been visibly altered to accommodate a scope and recoil pad presumably substituted for steel buttplate. 'Your SN in 94K range, production date 1928-29.

Though materially "non-original" in collector context, it yet appears a very nice hunting piece given good scope & overall condition. The 7x57 chambering, as you're likely aware, is one of the most timelessly popular European contributions spread worldwide! These Oberndorf factory Mauser rifles as yours, considered about the top rung of mainstream (non-custom) mauser rifle production. Your 'mods' do contribute greatly to the 'shootabality' in practical modern field context! Definitely 'no Bubba' reflected there!

Anything further for me to contribute would require more detailed pix. But I believe what you have before you so far in this Thread, pretty well covers 'it'!

Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 11/23/21. Reason: Noted the enhanced pix... Duh! :)
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iskra
Congrats Nate on an interesting commercial Oberndorf Model 98 Mauser. Yours here, a Model "S" Stutzen (full stock model without apparent steel stock muzzle cap). As chambering original in 7x57 it's an "Intermediate" action, such as a factory exclusive length utilized in that chambering. The "N" suffix, same as English "Normal". The bolt has been visibly altered to accommodate a scope and recoil pad presumably substituted for steel buttplate. 'Your SN in 94K range, production date 1928-29.

Though materially "non-original" in collector context, it yet appears a very nice hunting piece given good scope & overall condition. The 7x57 chambering, as you're likely aware, is one of the most timelessly popular European contributions spread worldwide! These Oberndorf factory Mauser rifles as yours, considered about the top rung of mainstream (non-custom) mauser rifle production. Your 'mods' do contribute greatly to the 'shootabality' in practical modern field context! Definitely 'no Bubba' reflected there!

Anything further for me to contribute would require more detailed pix. But I believe what you have before you so far in this Thread, pretty well covers 'it'!

Best!
John

Not factory exclusive but the majority were built on Intermediate actions. Some, ordered by those in the know, were built on standard length actions. I have one, coincidentally, a type S, made in 1943.

IC B2

N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Ive read when in comes to reloading you have to be careful with the older actions, should this one withstand modern loads or do they need to be down loaded some

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very cool gun

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Most of my rifles are Mauser rifles and from the 22-250 to the 35 Whelen have all been fired with currant loads.

My 7x57 is a LA Caruna and they are not supposed to be worth it but this one has been using H-414 loads since i put it together.

I even put a 25x39 in a older Mauser with a small shell kit and it shoots a tight group.

Just because they may be old don't mean that if they have been looked at they are good to go.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nice rifle if it shoots well, you'll get spoiled. I hunt with one every year. Mine has a standard forearm!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Nate, the "condition" and "originality" of any rifle can move it into the "don't shoot" category. Yours, because of the bolt alteration, should have the headspace checked by a gunsmith & perhaps for your comfort factor, test fired. He can then examine the fired brass case for any indicators of excess pressure. But as far as "quality" of engineering, materials & workmanship, there should be simply no worries.
The mainstream US factory ammo in 7x57 today is loaded down to accommodate the older less strong actions. Yours isn't in that "lower pressure required" category, but never hurts to go easy on these old gals. The barrel of yours is likely "Bohler" high pressure steel and entirely competent for its intended work!

Z1R rightly notes the possibility of a "standard" action size 7x57 chambering to have been utilized, particularly in special order context. Moreover, into WWII era years, "Intermediate" actions availability may have been compromised necessitating such as Mr Z's rifle. Your rifle, a child of the German Weimar Republic era, wasn't proximate to any such wartime circumstance. The precipitous cliffside Great European Depression didn't affect yours' quality!

And to all a good night... smile
John

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's a beauty, Nate. Good score! I have a Zastava intermediate action and the correct Mannlicher stock "in the raw". A rifle such as yours in .358 Winchester is my early 2022 project.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nate, congratulations for that fine stutzen! I keep telling myself, if I had one in 7x57 I would never look at another rifle! wink grin

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Correct me if I'm wrong but a book I have on Mauser sporters calls the Mannlicher stocked version the Model M, and the one with regular style forearm the Model S.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hi Paul. Guess your definition as correct would depend on how you define "regular style". If such inclusive of "full stock" Oberndorf Sporters, both models "M" and "S", to fit. If "regular style, as to me implying "half stock", then wrong. Between the "M" and "S", the mentioned metal cap on the "M" and simply wood terminating proximate with muzzle on the "S" model. Metal, a principal difference in the bolt handles. The "M" with the flat, so-called "spoon" handle. The "S" model the traditional - same as all other Oberndorf Sporter round handle. That said, all such more of a pear shape knob than round ball terminus. Below, few photos of my "M" Model, about the same time period as the O/P gun as mine SN 87 K range. In original 30-06 for the American market.
Your question is good and timely. A lot of confusion between the "M" and "S" models. The "S" dating from early in the twentieth century. The "M" dating from eve of Great War, 1914.
Best!
John

Attached Images
R61-2.jpg (13.66 KB, 136 downloads)
R61-3.jpg (22.18 KB, 136 downloads)
R61-17U.jpg (16.63 KB, 136 downloads)
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Correct me if I'm wrong but a book I have on Mauser sporters calls the Mannlicher stocked version the Model M, and the one with regular style forearm the Model S.
Paul B.

Yes, you are wrong. The type "S" is a full stock as is teh type "M". Difference being, the "M" has a metal nose cap. And, as Iskra mentioned, the bolt handles.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I should find myself one of these S configurations in 7x57. That cartridge just seems to fit with a full stock. I like the regular handle y’all are saying those came with far more than the spoon type as well.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, they are nice. And, the OP's being scoped makes it more versatile.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Beautiful rifle there

Would be happy to buy one off either one of you wink

Last edited by Keechi_Kid; 11/25/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.