24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Battery Tender Question #16646248 11/22/21
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
ironbender Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
Will one tender (12V; 800mA) service two batteries in a 2-battery diesel?

Seems like it should be fine. Always concerned about unintended consequences.


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16646330 11/22/21
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
ironbender Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
I’ve read mixed info online and wonder if anyone has connected like this.


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16646642 11/22/21
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,305
M
MikeL2 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,305
Short answer - maybe. Depends on a few details - take a look at: Battery tender FAQs

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16646665 11/22/21
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,594
NVhntr Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,594
HawkI seems to be the battery expert here. Maybe PM him, I'm sure he could answer.


Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16647264 11/23/21
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,901
badger Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,901
Normal current draw on most vehicles is in the 40-70mA range to keep radio and control unit memories alive. If your vehicle has no abnormal draw, an 800mA tender should be fine to keep both batteries charged. I use one occasionally on my truck (Cummins) if I know it's going to be dormant for a few weeks.


To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12



IC-A

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16647342 11/23/21
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 25
S
Stinson Offline
Member
Offline
Member
S
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 25
The charger will treat both batteries as one, while each needs its own amount of charge.
They make a dual battery charger. 🍻

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: badger] #16647964 11/23/21
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
ironbender Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
Originally Posted by badger
Normal current draw on most vehicles is in the 40-70mA range to keep radio and control unit memories alive. If your vehicle has no abnormal draw, an 800mA tender should be fine to keep both batteries charged. I use one occasionally on my truck (Cummins) if I know it's going to be dormant for a few weeks.

Thanks. That pretty much my situation. Don’t drive this truck very often in the winter.

Just replaced the 10 1/2 yo batteries and want to get my money’s worth out of this pair! 😉


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: Stinson] #16648049 11/23/21
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,901
badger Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,901
Originally Posted by Stinson
The charger will treat both batteries as one, while each needs its own amount of charge.
They make a dual battery charger. 🍻


Really?

So does that mean that there needs to be 2 alternators, or 2 voltage regulators?


To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12



Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16648103 11/23/21
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 10,703
RickBin Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 10,703
Awaiting a new pair of Odysseys here for my Duramax. Only got 8.5 years out of mine. Old Sears Platinum (rebranded Odysseys at the time).

I got gypped, apparently. cry


"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16648185 11/23/21
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 796
M
mainer_in_ak Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 796
Ironbender, yes they do work. A slow, 2.5 amp trickle may not be much, but it heats the batteries INSIDE, which increases cold crank amps.

Heres one memorable example where a trickle charger saved my a s s, from the stupidity of diesels in below zero weather:

I had just finished 14 consecutive 12 hr days on the pipeline and my shift was over. It was 57 below zero ambient in the morning. My coolant looked like a green slushy before start up. I thought that a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator was sufficient enough for driving in that type of cold.

Somewhere between salcha and north pole, i lost lights and even dash lights went dim. What happened was i didnt put a real bib on the grill, so the intercooler was getting blasted by 50 below. It tripped an air temp sensor, so the cummins air intake grid heater was permanentley on. The grid heater pulled more amperage than the alternator could replace and drained the dual batteries.

Emegency pit stop in north pole, i plugged in the truck and overnighted at a rental cabin. I had a napa trickle charger, oil pan heater and block heater.

I made a temporary bib out of some insulated carharts and attached it to the grill with self tapping sheet metal screws. Duck tape wouldnt stick.

Truck fired right up. Off to willow i proceeded, to go run sled dogs! Batteries had plenty of charge to crank over that big cummins 6bt

IC-B

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: Stinson] #16648420 11/23/21
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 741
H
HunterShooter58 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by Stinson
The charger will treat both batteries as one, while each needs its own amount of charge.
They make a dual battery charger. 🍻


I agree, as I've done it on many occasions!

A tender will slowly charge until fully charged, and then be careful that you don't over charge your battery as that is also no good for your Batteries.

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: mainer_in_ak] #16649118 11/23/21
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
ironbender Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ironbender, yes they do work. A slow, 2.5 amp trickle may not be much, but it heats the batteries INSIDE, which increases cold crank amps.

Heres one memorable example where a trickle charger saved my a s s, from the stupidity of diesels in below zero weather:

I had just finished 14 consecutive 12 hr days on the pipeline and my shift was over. It was 57 below zero ambient in the morning. My coolant looked like a green slushy before start up. I thought that a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator was sufficient enough for driving in that type of cold.

Somewhere between salcha and north pole, i lost lights and even dash lights went dim. What happened was i didnt put a real bib on the grill, so the intercooler was getting blasted by 50 below. It tripped an air temp sensor, so the cummins air intake grid heater was permanentley on. The grid heater pulled more amperage than the alternator could replace and drained the dual batteries.

Emegency pit stop in north pole, i plugged in the truck and overnighted at a rental cabin. I had a napa trickle charger, oil pan heater and block heater.

I made a temporary bib out of some insulated carharts and attached it to the grill with self tapping sheet metal screws. Duck tape wouldnt stick.

Truck fired right up. Off to willow i proceeded, to go run sled dogs! Batteries had plenty of charge to crank over that big cummins 6bt

BTDT, mainah. Used to live down Canaday rd for a couple years. Had to drive from there to UAF without a heater for a week without a working heater when the check ball in the external tank heater (remember those?) got loose and blocked the heater core. It popped out on a back flush.

Anyway, I know they work. I gave three in use now - tractor, gooseneck battery, and a boat battery in the garage.

I was only concerned there might be a reason I was overlooking with dual batteries.


Thanks guys!


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: RickBin] #16649129 11/23/21
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
ironbender Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
Originally Posted by RickBin
Awaiting a new pair of Odysseys here for my Duramax. Only got 8.5 years out of mine. Old Sears Platinum (rebranded Odysseys at the time).

I got gypped, apparently. cry

I coulda mailed you a pair, Rick. It’s only 50# each of hazmat! 😉


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: badger] #16649393 11/23/21
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 25
S
Stinson Offline
Member
Offline
Member
S
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Stinson
The charger will treat both batteries as one, while each needs its own amount of charge.
They make a dual battery charger. 🍻


Really?

So does that mean that there needs to be 2 alternators, or 2 voltage regulators?


Why you gotta be a smart azz?
Same damn thing happens in your pick up unless it has an isolator on it.
If one of your 2 batteries is bad you’re alternator is working overtime.
One bad battery will ruin the other battery over time. Hence a charger that will control each battery separately.
🍻

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16650563 11/24/21
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,901
badger Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,901
No, he asked a simple question, and there is a simple answer. He also has new batteries that he simply wants to maintain. A battery tender can be connected without having to disconnect the batteries to keep them at optimal charge, unlike 2 separate chargers which would require they be disconnected. Just keeping things simple. I'm well aware that batteries age at different rates, and a bad battery is tough on the alternator and the other battery, but I'm not being a smartazz.


To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12



Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16650588 11/24/21
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,053
W
WTM45 Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
W
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,053

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: WTM45] #16650673 11/24/21
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,305
M
MikeL2 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,305

Lead a horse to water....
THE BATTERY TENDER WEBSITE ANSWERS THE QUESTION, AND TELLS YOU UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS IT WILL WORK AND WHEN IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED!

Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: WTM45] #16652238 11/24/21
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281
ironbender Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 75,281


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Battery Tender Question [Re: ironbender] #16686862 12/04/21
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,272
5thShock Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,272
Or you can find a charger here that figures it all out as it goes...

https://no.co/brands/noco-genius

I use one of their chargers and and a lithium boost starter.


Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
106 registered members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 6X6, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 970 guests, and 654 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.060s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8778 MB (Peak: 1.0230 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-12-07 08:33:03 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS