Hop To
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I knew those guys were going to the Big House.

They did two things wrong.

1) Harder to claim self defense when you are the aggressor.

2) The shot a protected species.

Mainly #2 , had the jogger been white it would have been a different story

Yep

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am certainly not a lawyer but he had not committed a burglary and prior convictions are rarely allowed to be presented in court. But you are the self defense attorney so please correct me if I am wrong. So you believe that he was innocent and in fear of death or great bodily harm and justified to use deadly force in self defense.

hmmmmmm...

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Originally Posted by smarquez
I thought this place was all about MYOB. I see something I don't like, I call the cops and let them handle it if it isn't happening to me. It's not like anyone's life or safety was at risk. I wonder how hero they feel about themselves now.

Neighbors call neighbors around here when something seems out of place. It's what good folks do.

It is a great thing to do. Does everybody grab the pitch forks and torches and run out to confront?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Citizens are permitted to detain for the police those reasonably believed to be burglars........

Bullsh*t.

Actually it's not Bullsh*t - it's Georgia Law. Here citizens have the right to make a citizen's arrest, but Kemp changed the law after this mess.

Once again, the media tried the case without any comprehension of the law and the jury got this one wrong.

Rules and regulations regarding citizen’s arrest in Georgia can be found under Section 17-4-60 through 61 of the Georgia Criminal Code. Established during the late 1860s, the law authorizes private citizens to make an arrest of others if a crime is committed in their presence or in cases in which they have immediate knowledge that one occurred.

1860s. Before modern police departments, security systems and cell phones. Makes sense to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
A couple of questions for our legal scholars: If the jogger had pulled out a gun and shot the dummy that was pointing a gun in his direction could the jogger claim self defense? Even if he could not legally own a gun does the jogger have the right to self defense if in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm?

mike r

Don't listen to TRH. He's a damn idiot. First, it depends upon whose state law you are going to apply. Each state has different laws. In GA, you can lose your right to self-defense when you break into a building with the intent to commit a felony. Well, given that no felony was committed, it'd be damn hard to prove that he entered the house to commit a felony. Likewise it'd be impossible for the Klan brothers to have known his intent.

If the races were reversed in this scenario, TRH would be be calling for the hanging of shotgun boy.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But would the average person try to disarm or run? My ass would be running unless I was trapped. The deceased was angry that some idiot's were chasing him and grabbed said retards gun retard shoots. I don't have any training but charging an armed man and pulling the muzzle into my abdomen seems like a bad idea.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Citizens are permitted to detain for the police those reasonably believed to be burglars........

Bullsh*t.

It sure is.

On the bright side the world is rid of a shifty troublemaker and three real dumb idiots. I see win, win, win, win.

Yeah, kind of like a when idiots collide.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by skywalker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by skywalker
Guilty - exactly what they deserved.
I hope you never have to protect anything.

I've been protecting our place for over 15 years........haven't had an issue yet nor have I went and rounded up 2 neighbors (closest is about 750 yards through the woods) to go follow someone around my neighborhood.........be honest here, look at those 3 so called men.......couch potato, 'hold my beer' type.....do you want them protecting your place? Sad, Sad........

Good move, follow at a safe distance, get the cops on the phone, keep your ass outta court.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by lvmiker
A couple of questions for our legal scholars: If the jogger had pulled out a gun and shot the dummy that was pointing a gun in his direction could the jogger claim self defense? Even if he could not legally own a gun does the jogger have the right to self defense if in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm?

mike r

Don't listen to TRH. He's a damn idiot. First, it depends upon whose state law you are going to apply. Each state has different laws. In GA, you can lose your right to self-defense when you break into a building with the intent to commit a felony. Well, given that no felony was committed, it'd be damn hard to prove that he entered the house to commit a felony. Likewise it'd be impossible for the Klan brothers to have known his intent.

If the races were reversed in this scenario, TRH would be be calling for the hanging of shotgun boy.

I remember when I went to Tulane U in the early 80's the KKK was listed in the yellow pages. Still the same ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raferman
But would the average person try to disarm or run? My ass would be running unless I was trapped. The deceased was angry that some idiot's were chasing him and grabbed said retards gun retard shoots. I don't have any training but charging an armed man and pulling the muzzle into my abdomen seems like a bad idea.

Would the average man who was guilty of no crimes, had been trying to run away for over 5 minutes, who was told he was going to have his head blown off and was being boxed in, allow himself to be falsely imprisoned or fight out of fear that he was going to in fact have his head blown off?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Jogger shmogger. If I hear about this thief being a jogger one more time, I'm gonna hurl! Who the hell goes jogging in Timberland boots with no socks? He was casing the place for things to steal, plain and simple!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Jogger shmogger. If I hear about this thief being a jogger one more time, I'm gonna hurl! Who the hell goes jogging in Timberland boots with no socks? He was casing the place for things to steal, plain and simple!

Ron

He was? Did this come out during the trial?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Don't listen to TRH. He's a damn idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57

Ron

He wasn't a jogger in my opinion, I don't know what the hell he was doing. But he was trespassing on private property, but he didn't break in and enter, and he didn't steal anything, and he was unarmed. The video tape clearly shows him walk in, look around, then walk out.

Either way you can't shoot someone because you believe they will commit a crime in the future, nor believe they did commit a crime...you have to have witnessed and know they committed the crime to hold them.

"Hey boy stop, we want to ask you some questions with shotguns...what are you running for ?"

lol

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It’s not as simple as a black guy jogging down the road. It was a guy who illegally entered a house under construction looking for things to steal and the neighbors giving chase because someone who matches his description had broken in 4 times before. They have him on camera in the place.

Last edited by Calvin; 11/24/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
It’s not as simple as a black guy jogging down the road. It was a guy who illegally entered a house under construction looking for things to steal and the neighbors giving chase because someone who matches his description had broken in 4 times before. They have him on camera in the place.

Yep, Arbery may have been a full-blown, thieving piece of sh*t. I won’t defend him. Wasn’t worth killing him over some DeWalt screwdrivers. And sure as hell not worth throwing your life away.

Last edited by Slope77; 11/24/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Unfortunately, we are going to see much, much more of this sort of incident happening... de-funding police, police unwilling to confront black people, prosecutors turning criminals loose to prey on the public... etc.

We are going to see more untrained people "enforcing the law"...

If the government doesn’t provide, law, order, and justice, a lot of good people are going to do things that they don’t want to do. It is a travesty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All they really had to do was follow this guy and call 911, hope for the best. But our "jogger" had nothing in hand, no proof, so, an overstep. Never mind they had separate counsel that slagged the others, not real smart.
Nothing about this was smart, so I can't get too worked up about the "justice" rendered. Be stupid, win stupid prizes -- ALL of them.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The Rittenhouse case was the same thing only different.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
All they really had to do was follow this guy and call 911, hope for the best. But our "jogger" had nothing in hand, no proof, so, an overstep. Never mind they had separate counsel that slagged the others, not real smart.
Nothing about this was smart, so I can't get too worked up about the "justice" rendered. Be stupid, win stupid prizes -- ALL of them.

Well stated IMO.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.