Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I've heard of the gutless method, and of course the traditional method. I was talking to a guy who hunts the Adirondacks a lot and they gut the deer without opening up its stomach. They make a incision in its side about 10 inches long and pull the guts out that way. They do it that way so they can carry the deer on their back without getting covered in blood. Anyone else hear of gutting a deer this way

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve never been stout enough to carry a deer on my back. If he needs packing I go gutless and quarter. I have never heard of that but I suppose it would work, you’re getting To the same place just through a different door

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like the long way around the schitt house.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve never been stout enough to carry a deer on my back. If he needs packing I go gutless and quarter. I have never heard of that but I suppose it would work, you’re getting To the same place just through a different door

Sure seems that would be the way to go to me too.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Irving_D
They do it that way so they can carry the deer on their back without getting covered in blood.

What's his method for avoiding the deer's ticks?

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've never understood people dragging a deer 2 miles or carrying one out on their shoulders.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I've never understood people dragging a deer 2 miles or carrying one out on their shoulders.

This right here. I’ve quartered whitetails around here if I couldn’t get a wheeler or truck to them, if I have to drag it more than about 50 yards it ain’t getting drug.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It used to be illegal to quarter in the field in MN.

I never did two miles, but a little over one with a mature buck resulted in the purchase of a game cart.

😉

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Back to the OP: that makes sense but I have never done it. I would be interested in it for sure if anyone has any info. Soaking myself in blood gets old.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I lived in North East PA. , we used to get the deer moved with guts in because the swamps were so thick it was easier to tie them to a pole and carry them through brush. carrying them on your back is a good way to make a back ache and game carts were to burdensome in brush. Now here in the prairie a game cart stays in my truck from Sept. til January.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Now here in the prairie a game cart stays in my truck from Sept. til January.....

Ditto. smile

Being Thanksgiving, and all, I am thankful for game-carts. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see it working but also can see it being work getting all that and my hand/arm through a 10” incision. Would be nice not to have that belly open for drag/carry and could see it being cleaner. As it sits I quarter and bag everything.

Yup.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Apparently they turn the deer into a sort of backpack skinning out the fore legs cutting the bone and tying the front and back legs together to make each strap for the deer backpack

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive seen the deer backpack pretty often up here. Usually results in a mess. Would be interesting to see the side cut work.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done the backpack version, but did the whole opening. The slit would be nice to know

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done the backpack version, but did the whole opening. The slit would be nice to know

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AKduck
Ive seen the deer backpack pretty often up here. Usually results in a mess. Would be interesting to see the side cut work.

The deer backpack is definitely a rite of passage for young men up here. Shoot em and pack them yourself.

Been in beach mode. Pretty fun as it’s been good and a nice change from the wet woods. I deploy the packraft. Paddle in and and put the stalk on. When the deed it done the boat driver pulls up, tosses a line off the bow, and pulls the buck off the beach and floats it out to deeper water. Pull it aboard via the swim step and tuna door. I gut in the boat. Heater hunting rocks this time of the year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Been in beach mode. Pretty fun as it’s been good and a nice change from the wet woods. I deploy the packraft. Paddle in and and put the stalk on. When the deed it done the boat driver pulls up, tosses a line off the bow, and pulls the buck off the beach and floats it out to deeper water. Pull it aboard via the swim step and tuna door. I gut in the boat. Heater hunting rocks this time of the year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now that sounds like some fun!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Must be fun when a deer is loaded with ticks.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by goalie

It used to be illegal to quarter in the field in MN.

I never did two miles, but a little over one with a mature buck resulted in the purchase of a game cart.

😉

Screw laws, it's cut up and put in a pack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.