Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I've been using for deer and antelop hunting and hoping to make my all-around rifle. I'm hoping to draw an elk tag next year and use the same rifle for that as well. The only other centerfire bolt rifles I own are a 223 and a 243 that has a compact stock and is used by my wife. I like keeping my number of rifles relatively small and am not interested in getting many more.

Ammo availability has been a major issue lately for me, as it has been for most folks. I was fortunate enough to grab two boxes of ammo for deer season this year, which will last me a long time if I never practice with the thing.

Every time I go to Scheels or Cabelas I notice that there is usually a variety of 308 offerings. I know that this ammo shortage will eventually come to an end, but what about the next one, and the one after that? I suppose the answer could be to just hoard all the 6.5 CM ammo I can when it becomes affordable, but it seems like this shortage has shown the priorities of the ammo industry, and that priority is to manufacture lots of 308.

I'm considering selling the 6.5 and picking up a 308. The 308 would give me a little more recoil and a little less BC, but it would give me cheaper ammo and more trigger time.

Is there any real downside to going to the 308?

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antero

No.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your premise is fundamentally flawed. You don’t need to switch, you need both.

Becoming a handloader will largely insulate you from the fluctuations in the market, once you manage to get what’s needed. What’s actually needed is pretty basic, and not terribly expensive over time. You’ll be able to practice more, always a good thing.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
So, if I understand correctly, not a handloader, and don't have a regular buying plan when times are good; you want it when you need it.

No downside. Go for it.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dump the CM and go 308. Creedmore over rated, marketing hype BS. My 6.5 SWEEDMORE will do everything the creedmore will do, and then some.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I've been using for deer and antelop hunting and hoping to make my all-around rifle. I'm hoping to draw an elk tag next year and use the same rifle for that as well. The only other centerfire bolt rifles I own are a 223 and a 243 that has a compact stock and is used by my wife. I like keeping my number of rifles relatively small and am not interested in getting many more.

Ammo availability has been a major issue lately for me, as it has been for most folks. I was fortunate enough to grab two boxes of ammo for deer season this year, which will last me a long time if I never practice with the thing.

Every time I go to Scheels or Cabelas I notice that there is usually a variety of 308 offerings. I know that this ammo shortage will eventually come to an end, but what about the next one, and the one after that? I suppose the answer could be to just hoard all the 6.5 CM ammo I can when it becomes affordable, but it seems like this shortage has shown the priorities of the ammo industry, and that priority is to manufacture lots of 308.

I'm considering selling the 6.5 and picking up a 308. The 308 would give me a little more recoil and a little less BC, but it would give me cheaper ammo and more trigger time.

No guarantee that 308 will be available at all times, in 6 months you may see no 308 ammo and a lot of Creedmoor ammo. It's a gamble.

Keep your eyes on ammoseek.com and buy when suppliers have it in stock, not all are price gouging.

I guess my question is, Is there any upside to going 308?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenster99
Dump the CM and go 308. Creedmore over rated, marketing hype BS. My 6.5 SWEEDMORE will do everything the creedmore will do, and then some.

If it's marketing hype it sure has stuck around for quite a while, quite a while actually.

I have no need for one because I have something on either side of 6.5 that works but if I didn't have a 6mm or 7-08 the Creedmoor would for sure be on my very short list.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both are good cartridges but it sounds like the 308 will fit your needs better, esp when you already have a 243.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Keep the Creedmoor, get a .308 and all will be right in the world. Try a few boxes to find out what your rifle likes, the buy a case of ammunition.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Switching would be more expensive IMO.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
6.5cm has been one of the few cartridges available online through almost the whole shortage. Like the 308 it's clearly been a priority for Federal and Hornady. It doesn't sound like you need a ton at any given moment... why not just grab a couple boxes every so often and be set?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Also, ammoseek is helpful but it misses a lot. Check Federals website directly, same for Norma, check SGammo, finfeatherfur, etc.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

No.

The downside is in selling the 6.5 Creed to get the 308 because you'll take a bath on it. The cheapest rifle is one you already own. Plus, if you're really sweating the next ammo shortage, then having two rifles that fire near-identical cartridges doubles your chances of finding ammo, and that's a considerable upside.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If you want to maximize your trigger time, you would do better to find a .22 rifle with the same type of action and approximately the same size/weight and then set it up with the same scope and rings. I put together such a rifle for friend a couple of years ago that was based on a Marlin XT-22VR and it has worked out well for him.

A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks all - it's not that I don't plan on buying ammo when times are good and it's back on the shelf. I just think that in-store ammo availability is a major plus to any cartridge and am wondering if what I've seen in this shortage (308 on the shelves, almost no 6.5 CM) is going to be the way things are in future shortages.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Can't beat a 308 and it is really good on bigger than deer animals.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I shot 60 rounds of 150 grain 308 yesterday in a scoped bolt gun weighing 7.5 pounds loaded. Recoil never bothered me so I discount that as an issue. I am surprised you haven't caught any flak for suggesting the 308 would be a better elk round than the the 6.5 Creed but it surely is. The 308 will surely not be a worse deer gun than the Creed either. Win win. You could have your rifle rebarreled and maybe save some bucks or make a trade to someone with a like rifle in 308.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oddly enough - 6.5Creed, 6Creed, 224Valkyrie have been on the shelf here round the clock. Can't find the ammo EVERYONE says "buy this, can find it everywhere".

I'd likely stick 6.5 Creed

Me

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks all - it's not that I don't plan on buying ammo when times are good and it's back on the shelf. I just think that in-store ammo availability is a major plus to any cartridge and am wondering if what I've seen in this shortage (308 on the shelves, almost no 6.5 CM) is going to be the way things are in future shortages.

Your going to have problems with whatever you have because your shortsighted and narrow minded. You still think you should be able to buy whatever you want, when you want, for what you want to pay. You don't see what your looking at very well either. Go back to the stores 80-90% of that 308 ammo is fmj ammo not hunting loads same with the 223 ammo. You don't want to be bothered with reloading either and can't see the need for a purchase of more than 2 boxes at a time. There is no advice or help for people like you except 1 thing, just stay at home and do what your wife tells you. Hey YOU asked. Happy t -day.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Your going to have problems with whatever you have because your shortsighted and narrow minded. You still think you should be able to buy whatever you want, when you want, for what you want to pay. You don't see what your looking at very well either. Go back to the stores 80-90% of that 308 ammo is fmj ammo not hunting loads same with the 223 ammo. You don't want to be bothered with reloading either and can't see the need for a purchase of more than 2 boxes at a time. There is no advice or help for people like you except 1 thing, just stay at home and do what your wife tells you. Hey YOU asked. Happy t -day.

Wow, man, someone had a fly in their Thanksgiving Day gravy. wink

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.