Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16641359 11/21/21
George_De_Vries_3rd Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
Originally Posted by ERK
What is the actual purpose of the rifle? Edk

elk rifle from 300-500 yards.

most of my elk hunting areas are short range (<300 yards) but there are also several spots where opportunities are considerably longer.

You don’t have to dial for 300 yds, and on elk, barely for 400. Beyond that, I would say yes. If this is elk-specific, I agree, you really don’t need more than10x at the top. Ok, 10x, 12x, or 15x top.

Might ask what is your platform, weight, and chambering. Just my opinion, but if your back wall is 500, you could do well without a special build and a quality scope with a good ballistic reticle.

BP-B2

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16641756 11/21/21
603Country Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a look at the Leupold VX5 3-15 with CDS and fire dot. I went through a number of scopes - SFP and FFP - prior to this one. They all worked fine, but I wanted/needed a good adjustable illuminated reticle. Some of the scope I tried had illumination, but the illumination wasn’t user friendly. The fire dot seemed to be just the ticket, and the CDS dial can be customized for your rifle and load. So I bought one and got the custom turret (first one is free). I checked the dial out by shooting out to 400 yards and the scope was right on. Since then I’ve used the CDS and fire dot to a max distance of 400 yards on a hog in failing light. So far, I have to say that it’s my favorite scope ever. The only minor issue is that it’s the only rifle I hunt with now.

30 mm tube, if that matters, and the cost was under $1000.

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: George_De_Vries_3rd] #16642069 11/21/21
Billy_Goat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
Originally Posted by ERK
What is the actual purpose of the rifle? Edk

elk rifle from 300-500 yards.

most of my elk hunting areas are short range (<300 yards) but there are also several spots where opportunities are considerably longer.

You don’t have to dial for 300 yds, and on elk, barely for 400. Beyond that, I would say yes. If this is elk-specific, I agree, you really don’t need more than10x at the top. Ok, 10x, 12x, or 15x top.

Might ask what is your platform, weight, and chambering. Just my opinion, but if your back wall is 500, you could do well without a special build and a quality scope with a good ballistic reticle.

Rifle is a Savage BVSS 112 - used to be a 25-06, but I rebarrelled it for this purpose. it's heavy as hell (was a great prairie dog gun), but that makes it very easy to shoot well.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16642322 11/21/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, you didn’t mention what it’s or is to be chambered in, but regardless, you want to add nearly two pounds of scope, rings and bases to an already very heavy rifle? Is it to be another 308?

I guess my next question would be where do you elk hunt that you get mostly mostly under 300 yd shots but want a 10+ lb rifle? If it’s private land where you can take a lay-down stand, maybe. But anything other than that and we have very different views of what makes a portable elk rifle.

I have no problem with the 308 itself.

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: George_De_Vries_3rd] #16643187 11/21/21
Billy_Goat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Well, you didn’t mention what it’s or is to be chambered in, but regardless, you want to add nearly two pounds of scope, rings and bases to an already very heavy rifle? Is it to be another 308?

I guess my next question would be where do you elk hunt that you get mostly mostly under 300 yd shots but want a 10+ lb rifle? If it’s private land where you can take a lay-down stand, maybe. But anything other than that and we have very different views of what makes a portable elk rifle.

I have no problem with the 308 itself.

sorry. it's now a 280AI.

so just to be clear, on my elk hunt this year I found a couple spots that offer longer shot opportunities, and surprisingly, neither are ridiculous hikes from the road. both are <1/2 mile from the truck, all walking on fairly flat terrain. for this application, a heavy rifle isnt a bad thing.

my "normal" elk rifle is a Savage LWH in 308, with 4-12 glass. I used it to shoot this years cow at ~35 yards on public land/national forest. in my lifetime, I've shot 3 elk now. 35, 19 and 35 yards each. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC-A

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16643227 11/21/21
K
kk alaska Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
SWFA 3X9 Mil

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16643327 11/21/21
S
slm9s Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
S
This season I upgraded the scopes on my elk rifles. I had Leupold VX6 2-12s with the lit long range duplex. I was good to 500 with this setup using the dots. I sold the Leupolds (most went for >$1000 on ebay) and bought the Vortex Razor LHT mil/mil illuminated 3-15 from Scott at Liberty Optics for $750 shipped. I think these are very tough to beat for the money. Excellent glass, tracking is spot on, durable, locking turrets with good clicks, and a nice illuminated non-cluttered reticle.

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16643457 11/21/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, I’m no expert and there are many here who’ve taken more elk than I, but in contrast to your experience, of ten bulls I’ve taken, all were after hours and miles of walking/riding in the mountains. Three cows were closer.

Perhaps unusual here, my bulls averaged over 400 yds. I’m not here to dissuade anybody for building an elk rifle but it seems to me, your “normal” elk rifle would much more versatile than “ol heavy” because I expect your average distance is going to be far north of where it is now if you keep after these wonderful animals. And it will most likely be hiking much longer distances.

Just me, but, if anything, I would consider your lightweight Savage with a good ballistic reticle scope. My opinion again, but don’t marry your lightweight rifle to a 30 mm heavyweight scope which you will get with about any “dialing scope” due to the necessary internals. Keep the top at 10 or 12x.

I took a rutting whitetail at 500 yds with a Zeiss and their proprietary reticle. Dialing will be more precise but significantly at 500 yds and on but I have used Zeiss, Swarovski, Leopold, and Bushnell ballistic reticles and they all work with proper understanding.

Get two; put one on each rifle and you have a set-up for a quarter mile off the rode, and that hunt where you end up 5 miles in and up.

Good hunting.

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: Billy_Goat] #16653564 11/24/21
bellydeep Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
Hell, at 500 yards throw a Burris FFII with a ballistic plex on there.

But if you want to get tricky, Nightforce SHV.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Re: LR scope specs recommendation [Re: JPro] #16654833 11/25/21
H
Hondo64d Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I own all of the SWFAs mentioned herein and the Bushnells. In my opinion, you would be hard pressed to do better than a Bushnell LRHS or LRTS. I like and use the SWFAs and Bushnells; but, if I were searching for that "just one" for your identified purposes, it would be the LRHS/LRTS.

Yep. I'd look for a used LRTSi 3-12x. The reticle is bold enough to be useful at mid-power and 12x is enough for 500yds. I'm glad I got one when they were being made.

^^^^
This

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC-B

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 6X6, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 988 guests, and 657 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.