Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by skfullen
Well, for one I appreciate the OP's story.

When I was 11 (1972), I broke my leg riding a dirt-bike. This was in the East Texas woods near Broaddus. I'm talking remote.

My 8-year old sister and 9-year old female cousin went back to the house (Honda 50's), several miles away down country dirt roads to get my mom. My 10-year-old male cousin and
an 11 year-old friend stayed with me on their dirt bikes (Honda SL70).

On the way back to the house, my sister and cousin were confronted by a man blocking the road with a vehicle. My sister and cousin said that he had a small boy with him, crying, and the man was holding a pistol. He ordered them to stop.
The girls turned around and fled to where I was laying with a broken leg and told us what happened. My 10-year-old cousin went with them and headed back toward the house. The vehicle, man, and boy were gone.

A while later, my mom and uncle arrived with the '72 Buick station wagon. At about that same time, a couple of early 20ish young men rode up on horses. They were amiable and helpful in getting me loaded into the station wagon for the 40 or so mile trip to Lufkin & a hospital. For some reason my uncle was spooked. He sent my mom in his station wagon to take me to the hospital, and said he was going to accompany the other kids home on my Honda.

Within months, the story of The CandyMan and the Houston Mass Murders broke. When Dean Corll's picture was shown on tv, my sister screamed. (She is still traumatized by thoughts of what happened to that young boy all these decades later). When we saw Elmer Wayne Henley's photo, we all recognized him as one of the young men on horse back.

They recovered over a dozen mutilated bodies of young boys within a half of mile of where we were.
God was definitely with us that day or we would have been victims - like so many others.

I didn't have a gun, but I probably had a knife. I don't think it would have done much good.

Wow, that's one hell of a story.

I remember reading a book about that, that sick f-cker would stick glass rods up those kids peckers then break them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

When I was 11 (1972), I broke my leg riding a dirt-bike. This was in the East Texas woods near Broaddus. I'm talking remote.

My 8-year old sister and 9-year old female cousin went back to the house (Honda 50's), several miles away down country dirt roads to get my mom. My 10-year-old male cousin and

On the way back to the house, my sister and cousin were confronted by a man blocking the road with a vehicle. My sister and cousin said that he had a small boy with him, crying, and the man was holding a pistol. He ordered them to stop.
The girls turned around and fled to where I was laying with a broken leg and told us what happened. My 10-year-old cousin went with them and headed back toward the house. The vehicle, man, and boy were gone.

A while later, my mom and uncle arrived with the '72 Buick station wagon. At about that same time, a couple of early 20ish young men rode up on horses. They were amiable and helpful in getting me loaded into the station wagon for the 40 or so mile trip to Lufkin & a hospital. For some reason my uncle was spooked. He sent my mom in his station wagon to take me to the hospital, and said he was going to accompany the other kids home on my Honda.

Within months, the story of The CandyMan and the Houston Mass Murders broke. When Dean Corll's picture was shown on tv, my sister screamed. (She is still traumatized by thoughts of what happened to that young boy all these decades later). When we saw Elmer Wayne Henley's photo, we all recognized him as one of the young men on horse back.

They recovered over a dozen mutilated bodies of young boys within a half of mile of where we were.
God was definitely with us that day or we would have been victims - like so many others.

I didn't have a gun, but I probably had a knife. I don't think it would have done much good.

Wow, that's one hell of a story.

I remember reading a book about that, that sick f-cker would stick glass rods up those kids peckers then break them.

I looked up this candyman and wish I hadn’t. Horrible.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image from allthatsinteresting.com]

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Got kidnapped when I was 5 years old, in 1974. Some strange hippy bastard grabbed me from out in front of the apartment complex we lived in back then. After a couple of hours he apparently thought better of it and tied me to a goalpost with my shoelaces over at the nearby school. During recess the kids found and untied me, took me to the office, and called the police; much to the relief of my frantic mother. There was a manhunt for the guy but they never caught him. Reflecting on this, there was either divine intervention or I was damned lucky!

Yours in Liberty,

BL
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by ldholton
$1600 heifer in 73 ...

He did not say that.

Edit in his favor ... may have meant as is now but not what original put

I don't see an edit tag on the original post.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A dude shares a compelling, heartfelt, obviously traumatic story from his history. Y'all act like Rachel Maddow and concentrate on grammar and placement of commas just to distract from the story.

Bunch of damn ass-hats...

I wasn't making fun bro, I was just saying HOLY SHIET. I know the story of the Candy Man and can't believe someone here has first hand knowledge. Glad you made it to adulthood. For Realz

Just cuz the OP is FOS doesn't mean everyone else is

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Got kidnapped when I was 5 years old, in 1974. Some strange hippy bastard grabbed me from out in front of the apartment complex we lived in back then. After a couple of hours he apparently thought better of it and tied me to a goalpost with my shoelaces over at the nearby school. During recess the kids found and untied me, took me to the office, and called the police; much to the relief of my frantic mother. There was a manhunt for the guy but they never caught him. Reflecting on this, there was either divine intervention or I was damned lucky!

Another HOLY SHIET!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That fuggger be deddd aint he

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That fuggger be deddd aint he

Both men in the picture are dead but Jeff Doucet, the rapist in the red shirt, died the day after the picture. Gary Plauche, THe father of the victim and the shooter, died of a stroke some years later.

Last edited by 19352012; 11/26/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on the situation. One time someone had the drop on me. I put my gun down.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, they were probably safe since the youngest victim of the Candyman was 13 and most were in the range of 17 or so. They weren’t focused on children, they were focused on teenagers and the his teenage accomplices would lure the young men to parties with promises of drugs and booze.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Do not conflate your misadventure with citizens confronting a criminal near their homes. The victims of the law in the jogger case found themselves unfairly subject to a convoluted and muddy part of the law which should have set right by their peers.

When I was a youth with someone chasing for something I should not have done or was simply outnumbered I ran for cover and kept running. The criminal attempting to take the shotgun was expected by no one. He was deranged by birth or choice.

The case was self defense after the victims got themselves in over their dimwitted heads. Under the law, it could happen to you if you approached someone who then attacked you because you approached them, putting yourself and your weapon near them, creating the situation resulting in their death.

Also, ID isn't GA. The idea that mores and laws should be the same for people who live in what are practically different countries is ludicrous.

Look: https://matadornetwork.com/read/map-shows-many-european-countries-can-fit-continental-us/

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Do not conflate your misadventure with citizens confronting a criminal near their homes. The victims of the law in the jogger case found themselves unfairly subject to a convoluted and muddy part of the law which should have set right by their peers.

When I was a youth with someone chasing for something I should not have done or was simply outnumbered I ran for cover and kept running. The criminal attempting to take the shotgun was expected by no one. He was deranged by birth or choice.

The case was self defense after the victims got themselves in over their dimwitted heads. Under the law, it could happen to you if you approached someone who then attacked you because you approached them, putting yourself and your weapon near them, creating the situation resulting in their death.

Also, ID isn't GA. The idea that mores and laws should be the same for people who live in what are practically different countries is ludicrous.

Look: https://matadornetwork.com/read/map-shows-many-european-countries-can-fit-continental-us/

Preach it dumbasssss

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anybody but a bunch of rednecks with double-digit IQ's should know that if you're going to shoot a groid, do it from long range, and don't take video!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Holy fugk. THat's terrifying. Not sure it would be easy to share either, thanks I was unfamiliar with the story. Now I wish I'd never read the wiki on it.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

ltpowell says there are no f a g s in Texas.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

ltpowell says there are no f a g s in Texas.

LOL

I did?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up near this event. I was also a very young lad when it happened. I specifically remembered how terrified the community got. Kids would walk to school in packs of 10-20 with numerous adults. One of my neighbors walked a bunch of us to school with a shotgun. Nobody said a word about it.

When that last boy was murdered, the whole county about went ape chit.

It was terrifying. I believe there were around 500 police officers dedicated to the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_County_Child_Killer

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are all great & interesting stories, but WTF do any of them have to do with the OP's question?

"Would you surrender your liberty to non LEO gunmen on the street?"

MM

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
"I don't see an edit tag on the original post."

He might want to edit again because I80 never gets close to 13 miles from the Oregon border.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,076
Posts18,463,825
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.