Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
nobody here has ancestors who did anything. People will claim they did but it’s not factual.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BFaucett
My maternal grandmother was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

"Membership in the DAR today is open to all women, regardless of race or religion, who can prove lineal bloodline descent from an ancestor who aided in achieving United States independence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughters_of_the_American_Revolution

[Linked Image from dar.org]
https://www.dar.org/

Bob F.

Uncle is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Moose_HNTR
nobody here has ancestors who did anything. People will claim they did but it’s not factual.
lmao

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hazy on this, but as I remember Mom's side had 2 families that were Plymouth Rock Wetbacks. We knew of one, and then KYHillChick discovered another that was buried in a line of Dutch New Yorkers.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
sjc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
On my mothers side. William Brewster and Richard Warren.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
John Alden

Same here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Paternal Grandparents came over in the 20's (I think) to Ellis Island. Paternal Great grandfather fought at Gettysburg.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Ancestors that were in Virginia and fought in the revoluation, One of the first 300 families that came to texas with Steven F Austin.

My Mother is from Austinville Va. Birth place of Stephan Austin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only if the mayflower sailed around the early 1900s..lol

living the good life every day
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ah my ancestors were here way before those Limeies showed up > Norsemen !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Nah, mine were recruited to settle lands giving those types a protective buffer between them and the wild injuns. What they didn't count on is my ancestors were as procreative as they were pugilistic.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope, but those folks on the Mayflower, were busy looking for my ancestors at Jamestown...

However they ran out of beer, which was drank instead of water because of common water contamination, and they were lost along the North American coast.

So they dropped anchor at what became Plymouth Rock.... and the rest is history.....

When I went to college in Massachusetts, you quickly notice how people in New England, especially metro Boston.. thought they were something special when they were direct descendants of those who landed at Plymouth Rock. Even pompous about it......The look on their faces when I stated the above was priceless....

People in Virginia, were proud to be descendants of Jamestown, but they sure weren't pompous about it, thinking they were better than everyone else, like they loved to do in Boston.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My family had to wait until 1640 to land at the mouth of the Rappahannock

All religious fanatics

Then your ancestors, head to deal with my ancestors Bob....

my ancestors were administrators for the King in 1640, for selling and keeping records for the selling and granting of land claims from the Rappahannock, south to the James River...

Sure hope my ancestors, took good care of your ancestors....LoL...

knowing how little the population was in those days, I'd wager we are probably distant cousins.... 37 times removed ..

But I won't tell no body. so you wouldn't have to admit being related to me.. regardless of how distant... yer welcome....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do know that one of my ancestors from the Rogers branch of the family, owned the land that is now Arlington National cemetery.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's not how we got here, or from where, it's how we act here, and now.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by blairvt
Ancestors that were in Virginia and fought in the revoluation, One of the first 300 families that came to texas with Steven F Austin.

My Mother is from Austinville Va. Birth place of Stephan Austin

Last time I was back home in VA, I passed the spot where Stephan Austin was born.... I frequently stop and visit all of this historical markers.... Virginia is a state that is full of them....my folks had the same habit.

With urbanization tho, a lot of these historical places have been built over, especially since when I was a kid. Northern VA was full of them, but many have been destroyed as they build out metro DC...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My maternal side traces back to 1621 on the Ship "Fortune". My mom came from mostly Dutch, English and Welsh stock with a little Norman French.

Roger Williams was the captain of the ship and there were 35 passengers. They landed at Plymouth November 7, 1621. They stayed the winter and the next spring hired an Indian for a guide and walked in a south-westerly direction for 48 days to what is now near Bristol, Rhode Island. William died there June 4th 1672 and Susan died May 3, 1671.

I apparently had a relative who was a historian and wrote a book in the 1890's about the family history so if you want to believe what you read, The book has a lot of detail, including transcripts of letters that were passed down with a family bible printed in 1585 describing the journey across the ocean and what life was like in the early years.

They had some coin. The letters even relates how much gold coin and jewelry they brought with them. (Not a huge amount, but they were probably considered rich)

Susan's maiden name was Susan Rothchild.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Moms side DAR.
My dad came over on a boat.

R
R
There were two separate groups on the Mayflower. What we call the "Pilgrims" who were seeking religious freedom, called themselves the "Saints". The other group was labeled the "Strangers". My ancestor on the Mayflower, Steven Hopkins, was one of the Strangers.
Actually, the Mayflower was originally bound for the Jamestown Colony in Virginia. However stormy weather blew the ship off course. They took shelter behind Cape Cod and tried several times to make their way south, but each time they were forced back by strong winds and high seas and again had to shelter behind Cape Cod.
Several years before this, my Steven Hopkins had been enroute to Virginia on another ship, but they were wrecked on Bermuda. They salvaged lumber and tools from the wreck and were able to build an open boat which some of them then sailed on to Jamestown. Steven spent a year or more working as a laborer in Jamestown until he learned that his wife had died back in England and his children had been left wards of the church. He returned to England to retrieve his children, and while back there he remarried. Then he, his previous children, and his new wife embarked on the Mayflower.
Because of Stephen's time in Jamestown he was perceived by the other passengers and crew of the Mayflower as having some experience with the Indians. Therefore he often was sent ashore on Cape Cod with scouting parties. They found abandoned native villages, tumbling down huts, and some human skeletons. Unknown to these white men, the native Indian population had been devastated by diseases brought by European fishermen years before. What natives remained, hid from the "Pilgrims".
During one shore scout the Mayflower people discovered a cache of corn. They took it all. That was not a good start for relations with the natives!
Since they couldn't make it south, and winter was coming on, the Mayflower Compact was written and signed by most of the men, Saints and Strangers alike. My ancestor, Steven Hopkins, signed the Mayflower Compact as well.
They sailed across Massachusetts Bay and landed near what we now call Plymouth Rock. There, they settled. The Mayflower remained in the harbor all winter, providing shelter and what meager supplies they still had. Many died of sickness and starvation.
Then, an Indian from further north up the coast, Squanto by name, came to visit. Squanto had been to England, taken there by English fishermen and later brought back again. He had learned to speak English. Because of Steven Hopkins' experience with the Virginia natives, Squanto was taken in at the Hopkins house. Squanto then made contact with the local Indians and brought them together with the "Pilgrims".
And, as they say; "The rest is history."
wink

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I do know that one of my ancestors from the Rogers branch of the family, owned the land that is now Arlington National cemetery.

I believe that would be Robert E. Lee,

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.