Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Evanix air rifle with the Nikon EFR scope seems like it weighs a ton. I think it's right at 10 pounds. I don't like to carry it very far. It's okay to use here around home, but I'm not toting it anywhere where I'll be walking for several hours. The Kimber is pretty light. I can carry it one handed easily for long periods no problem. I don't remember what it actually weighs. This Evanix air rifle shoots the 28-1/2 grain Eun Jin aka Seneca round nosed pellets a little over 800 fps for right at 40-42 ft lbs of muzzle energy, plenty enough power to kill at well past fifty yards, but the drop in the trajectory gets to be so much past 45 yards that it's hard to hit past that approximate range. With a .22 anything inside of 75 yards is possible and if you happen to estimate distance right and get a solid rest 100 yards are possible. Not easy but possible. Lighter weight, greater reach, better accuracy, and no exhausting the compressed air reservoir makes the rimfire rifles better choice most of the time.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I'd like to have a 16 gauge double. I do have an old Stevens 94 16 gauge that was my first firearm. It was bought new for my Dad sometime in the early 1950's. A 12 gauge is a little on the thick side while a 20 can be tiny or toyish; but a 16 can be what Goldilocks was looking for, just right.

I've come to appreciate lighter weight gear as age and health issues make themselves known. I can see why something like a NULA Model 20 in .22 LR would be very desirable. I've lightened myself by 35 pounds over the last year. crazy

The 16 Grulla No 2’s were built on 20 frames IIRC. 16’s were still popular when I bought my first 1100 in the 60’s.

I still have my ULA, going on 25 years. They are way too expensive now. Biggest regret is selling my Clackamas Kimber Custom Classic LH in the early 90’s.. The Coopers I owned never filled the void for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Three rifles that I'd love to have: a Kimber K22 Super America, a Kimber K22 Classic Varmint .17M2 and an Anschutz 1717D in .17HMR. One of those Sako Quads would be great too. I like the pretty walnut stocks, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to own a really great accurate light weight rifle with a synthetic stock. I don't reckon anyone I know is going to die and leave me any in their wills and these days I couldn't even afford to buy ammunition for them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Three rifles that I'd love to have: a Kimber K22 Super America, a Kimber K22 Classic Varmint .17M2 and an Anschutz 1717D in .17HMR. One of those Sako Quads would be great too. I like the pretty walnut stocks, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to own a really great accurate light weight rifle with a synthetic stock. I don't reckon anyone I know is going to die and leave me any in their wills and these days I couldn't even afford to buy ammunition for them.

Phil,

The Anschutz are nice rifles, but they don’t appeal to me. If Kimber had ever to put its mind to making a lefty K22 I’d have bought one, I remember when you bought yours.

When I was deep in the .22 rabbit hole, Coopers we’re about a grand, Kimbers were well under $700, Finnfires were $400. Hard to believe it’s been over thirty years ago when I got the Custom Classic for $640. I enjoyed it when my eyes and health were good, and
that’ll have to do…

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
The Sako Quads rate very high on my list for accuracy and looks. The Kimber Classic is no slouch in the accuracy department either, leastwise not the one I have. The wood on the Kimber is much darker than the photo shows and the 2 Sako's both run Leupold FX II 6X with the parallax adjusted to 40yds. All 3 rifles are pretty light weight.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got three more this afternoon. Was windy with a storm front moving in so didn't expect them to be active like yesterday. Forgot to mention. Yesterday's limit was taken with my old Marlin 989M2 {my first .22 bought new in 1976} and CCI Mini-Mag HP's. The 3 today with my Henry .22 mag. and Maxi Mag TMJ's. The Marlin wears an old 2.5 x20 Bushnell Banner. The Henry a Swift Reliant 4x32 compact.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Five more this afternoon. Browning BL-22. Weaver K-2.5. CCI Mini-Mag HP's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The high price of squirrel!!! The wife was talking with her daughter yesterday and I about choked when I heard that she is paying an exterminator $399.00 to take out what sounds like two squirrels that are getting into her attic. They just bought a nice place in a Nashville suburb and some guy is trying to trap the squirrels using a live trap and peanut butter, but with no results and for that kind of money! I just shake my head because any kid with a pellet gun would probably do it for the stew meat. I got on the phone and told her just use half a cob of corn in the trap or get your own pellet gun. Then she tells me that they think they are getting a deal because their neighbor payed a guy $10,000. to get rid of his squirrels and patch a hole where they were getting in! Unreal how ignorant and gullible some people can be.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Windfall
The high price of squirrel!!! The wife was talking with her daughter yesterday and I about choked when I heard that she is paying an exterminator $399.00 to take out what sounds like two squirrels that are getting into her attic. They just bought a nice place in a Nashville suburb and some guy is trying to trap the squirrels using a live trap and peanut butter, but with no results and for that kind of money! I just shake my head because any kid with a pellet gun would probably do it for the stew meat. I got on the phone and told her just use half a cob of corn in the trap or get your own pellet gun. Then she tells me that they think they are getting a deal because their neighbor payed a guy $10,000. to get rid of his squirrels and patch a hole where they were getting in! Unreal how ignorant and gullible some people can be.

Jeebus! I need to move there with my Daisy 880, my Havahart, and a frying pan!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Windfall

Jeebus! I need to move there with my Daisy 880, my Havahart, and a frying pan!

And there you go again, over gunned! Jeesh!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took a break from deer hunting this morning. Almost forgot how much I enjoy hunting these.

Last edited by Holston; 11/08/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fixed it.

Last edited by Holston; 11/08/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hadn't got to hunt in several days, too many things to do. Wind was blowing this morning so I decided to carry the SxS, Grulla 209E. Only spotted one. Four #5 pellets struck, one in the head three in the chest with one not completely exiting, it was in one of the offside legs under the hide. I've loaded one ounce of fives for my squirrel loads and they usually leave no pellets, penetrate all the way through. Don't likey finding pellets with my teef.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got one this morning, a very long shot, around 75 yards. A lot of the leaves are down so I carried binoculars this time. Sat down in a good spot, started looking through the trees with the Vortex Talon HD binocs and after awhile spotted one. Sat the binoculars down, tried to find the squirrel for the shot, couldn't see it. Looked through the 'nocs again, plain sight. Back through the scope, can't find. Back to the 'nocs, try to locate something specific so that I can walk my view into the correct spot. Find a sapling with a dead limb fallen into it bowing it over partway to the target, squirrel is sitting on the side of a tree near the old fenceline to the west side of where I'm sitting near the property line. This time by leaning back against the tree I was sitting beside, taking a solid rest, turning my cap where no sun would be in my eye and scanning as carefully as I could go I found the squirrel. Held halfway between the center of the reticle and the thick of the duplex, as I new this was the right holdover for this scope at 75 yards with subsonic hollowpoints, and gently squeezed the 1.5 pound trigger of the Kimber. SPAT and in a millisecond the squirrel tipped over and fell. I got up and started easing my way towards where I thought it was located and after a few minutes spotted blood all over the ground on the side of the tree facing me. The squirrel was on the backside of the tree, an old oak with a big hollow about halfway up.

I could use a more magnification than the Leupold 2-7x this time of year when the leaves are down. It was frustrating being able to see the squirrel very plainly with the 8x binoculars but poorly through the scope which has true magnification of 6.7x I believe from reading the specs.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was wondering a while back how good optically these binoculars were. They were bought from Vortex's Eagle Optics store a bit before they closed shop and just went with the Vortex brand only. The Talon HD/Eagle Optics Ranger ED are the same thing, differing only in rubber armor color, Vortex green vs Eagle Optics black, mine are actually the Eagle Optics. I was out loafing one day and went in Cabelas and looked at some of the binoculars on display. What I have easily beats the Diamondback and Crossfire glass so I guess that I am not disappointed in what I've got. They were happily showing me this squirrel while I was having difficulty locating it with the Leupold VX1.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I have ever used more scope power than 6X while squirrel hunting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well hot dog, deer hunted a new area on east Tx public land and found the holy grail of squirrel hunting! I got a nice doe but the important part was the incredible numbers of squirrels. Can hunt with a 22 rimfire so icing on the cake. The other thing is there are plenty of feral hogs there also. Might end up using my Marlin 22 magnum as a dual purpose tool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Got one this morning, a very long shot, around 75 yards. A lot of the leaves are down so I carried binoculars this time. Sat down in a good spot, started looking through the trees with the Vortex Talon HD binocs and after awhile spotted one. Sat the binoculars down, tried to find the squirrel for the shot, couldn't see it. Looked through the 'nocs again, plain sight. Back through the scope, can't find. Back to the 'nocs, try to locate something specific so that I can walk my view into the correct spot. Find a sapling with a dead limb fallen into it bowing it over partway to the target, squirrel is sitting on the side of a tree near the old fenceline to the west side of where I'm sitting near the property line. This time by leaning back against the tree I was sitting beside, taking a solid rest, turning my cap where no sun would be in my eye and scanning as carefully as I could go I found the squirrel. Held halfway between the center of the reticle and the thick of the duplex, as I new this was the right holdover for this scope at 75 yards with subsonic hollowpoints, and gently squeezed the 1.5 pound trigger of the Kimber. SPAT and in a millisecond the squirrel tipped over and fell. I got up and started easing my way towards where I thought it was located and after a few minutes spotted blood all over the ground on the side of the tree facing me. The squirrel was on the backside of the tree, an old oak with a big hollow about halfway up.

I could use a more magnification than the Leupold 2-7x this time of year when the leaves are down. It was frustrating being able to see the squirrel very plainly with the 8x binoculars but poorly through the scope which has true magnification of 6.7x I believe from reading the specs.

Good shooting Phillip. That is a long shot for a 22lr without a shooting bench. I used to run 2-7 VX1's on some of my rimfires, but discovered that the FX II 6X36 was much brighter and sharper. That actually made finding hidden Squirrels easier than witht he 2-7 turned all the way up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Longer shots can be done from a sitting position if you're on the right ground. Need just the right slope of ground away from the tree and no big root base under your rump. Shoulder solidly against the tree and knees for the rest. Years past I have done it standing leaning against a tree but I can't anymore, too shaky. Darned neuropathy took away my steadiness. I can still take them offhand up to around 35 yards or so. Every now and then you can stumble across the perfect spot with two trees you can wedge yourself comfortably between for a solid rifle shooting rest, but still have a great view across the woods. If the sun doesn't get on you and make you go to sleep......

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Those issues sound so familar. frown I learned how to shoot Squirrels at any distance by using the right side of a tree as a rest. Left hand against the tree and with any luck, the left shoulder also. That was so steady for me.................then, now, not so much unless it is a shot under 35yds and then it depends on what day. Why do those days have to be in the Past. cry
And while I'm reminiscing, back in the early 80's I worked for a company up North as a welder, great money back then and the woods around the area were chock full of Fox Squirrels. Red and White Oaks every where, lots of Shag Bark Hickory, Beechnut trees, and hard Maples, a Squirrels paradise. It seemed that not many were that interested in hunting Squirrels, so I had that area all to myself. I hunted from late Aug. till early Oct. and averaged 104 Squirrels in that time frame. Now those were the days. After about 4yrs. we came back South still hunting Squirrels, but it just wasn't as good.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
179 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.