Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My son was drawn for a youth hunt through Texas P&W this year. Thought I'd post a little breakdown of how it went. We camped on site and hunted an afternoon-all day-a morning. 7-08 with 140grain Fusions.

First afternoon.

We got there early, set up camp, got checked in, and started hunting at 1. After about an hour a little buck came out and we watched him for quite a while. Then at 2:40 this guy stepped out. There wasn't any question of if we'd shoot him or not and the trigger was pulled at 2:41.

We waited 20 minutes and walked over to where the buck was standing and found a lot of blood then waited 10 more minutes and started tracking. The kid did all of the tracking, which wasn't hard, but he was finding the little stuff along with what was obvious. After about 50 yards we found him bedded down, facing away from us. He was stone dead but sure looked like he was ready to get up and run.

Where he was bedded with his antlers caught in the brush.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The shot was at 35 yards and he was quartering at us at a very steep angle. The shot entered the shoulder, broke two ribs, penetrated the heart and one lung and there were two holes in the stomach. I dug around for the bullet but couldn't find it. It didn't make it to the ham.

Since it was so early in the afternoon we field dressed him, got him back to the checkin station, skinned, and in the walk in cooler with an hour left to hunt. So, back out we went.

Just before dark this hog came walking down the same trail as the big buck. He knew something was up and stopped, looking right at us. With not much to aim for the kid just shot him in the face. It was effective. The bullet didn't exit but we gave the hog away to someone else and don't know how far it penetrated.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 11/27/21.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The morning of Day2 we went back to the same spot, hoping for axis, but willing to settle for more hogs.

We watched a nice buck for 40 minutes, got hungry, and headed in a little before 10.

There was another kid at the hunt we had met the night before who was pretty young and told us about his hunt. The other kid had picked what should have been a really good spot but hadn't seen anything but a doe. As we were walking out my son suggested that we find the kid and trade spots with him, so he could try to shoot the buck we'd been watching. I was thinking the same thing but was sure proud to have him bring it up.

That afternoon the other kid saw two bucks and shot a really nice one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good deal!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on a great hunt.Where were y'all at?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On the afternoon of Day2 we hunted at the other kid's spot. It was dead for about 4 hours and then everything came alive.

We saw this axis doe at 147 yards. Every time she was broadside she was covered in brush, then she'd feed back into the open, facing us. Finally my son had enough and took his shot as he head was down feeding, facing right at us. The shot entered at the base of her head, broke several vertebrae, traveled the length of her neck and when we were skinning the bullet fell out from her armpit. It was a lopsided mushroom and didn't lose anything obvious.

As we made our way over to the axis we saw another doe milling around. My son really wanted another axis but passed up on several shots because he wasn't sure he could make them cleanly off the sticks. I was impressed.

Interesting thing we noticed.... The axis numbers are way, way down from a few years ago. We hunted here in 2017 and saw around 200 axis. This year we saw 2. I think the freeze we had earlier in the year really hurt them. This doe's ears had nearly frozen off, something we've seen with our neighborhood whitetails.

We drug her closer to the road, took pics and then hurried back to the blind for the last hour of hunting.

Within just a few minutes we saw three hogs moving through the brush at 85 yards and they made the mistake of pausing just as they stepped into the open. My son shot the middle hog through the shoulder and he dropped. Hog #1 took off but #3 ran in a small circle and looked back, trying to figure out what was going on. Kiddo put a shot through his heart and she made it about 15 yards before piling up. Both bullets exited.

The time stamp difference between axis doe pics and hog pics was 16 minutes.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The morning of Day3 had a hard stop of 10AM for us. We had to get checked out, pack up camp and back on the road in time to make it back to church with the rest of the family.

We hunted right up until 10 but the wind kept everything laying low. We saw one whitetail doe that he passed on. Then we packed up camp, headed to the processor, then the taxidermist, and home for a hot supper and showers.

In three weeks this kid shot 6 deer and 3 hogs with 10 shots. I'm pretty proud.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to the lad for the deer and hog. The hero photo deer does not look like the one in the brush, but then I could be wrong.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Congrats on a great hunt.Where were y'all at?

South Llano River SP. The staff there puts on a great hunt. Nine kids hunted and there were two other buck very similar to this one shot as well as a handful of hill country basket bucks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Congrats to the lad for the deer and hog. The hero photo deer does not look like the one in the brush, but then I could be wrong.

Thanks.

I think you are, lol.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Thanks.

I think you are, lol.

Check out the wiggly G3 on his left side.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well congrats to your son. That is a nice buck. The axis doe and hogs were a great bonus. Congrats again to your son and you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looks like a great time, congrats to both of you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That kid has got the briar in his eye! As the old timers used to say! What a great story and hunt! Thanks for sharing! Congrats all way around!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That is quite a bag in a short time, maybe there is something to this Texas hunting thing. Where did that kid learn to shoot so well? grin

Congrats to both of you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks.

I think you are, lol.

Check out the wiggly G3 on his left side.
I was noting the right side. No mind, love to see the lad do all that shooting.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That great!

So glad to see this... The more young folks we can get afield and pass our heritage down to, the better!

He was prepared and knew how to shoot. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great story and hunt. My favorite part is your son's thinking of the other kid after his early success. Speaks volumes for him and his raising.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That great!

So glad to see this... The more young folks we can get afield and pass our heritage down to, the better!

He was prepared and knew how to shoot. smile

Ditto!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A killing machine! Nice going 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.