Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I took a new to me Tikka T3 Superlight to the range to being load development today. The Tikka has upgrades such as the steel recoil lug, steel bottom metal and steel bolt shroud. I was usoing factory ammo and the firepin was not striking the primer. Everything felt good through the trigger, there was a solid click when the trigger broke, but no ignition. I tried 3 times, and then looked at the cartridge and there was not a firing pin strike all. Things looked normal with the bolt. I did notice that bolt does not close all the way now. Maybe it didnt before. When you rotate the bolt to closed, it stops at about 4:00 instead of turning all the way to 5:00. The first thing I am going to do is take the bolt down and make sure it is free of packing / shipping grease inside the bolt etc. It was 40 degrees out and I suppose that could stiffen things up some.

Anybody have thoughts on why the bolt doesnt rotate completely to close and the bolt handle is sticking a bit? My wife took the truck (with the gun inside of it) to some state land to take the dogs for a walk or else I would have a better description and maybe have it figured out by now.

Love to hear some thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you take it down, disassemble it over a clean flat surface.
One that will catch and let you recover anything that comes out.
It's possible there is a metal flake or other manufacturing crud
in there. If you find a likely culprit, you have an idea.

Open it where you miss it galling out, and you will always wonder
what happened.

We bought a kitchen faucet, I installed it and...No water.
Long story, lots of frustration and profanity.

Thought it was manufacturing crud in the check valve.
Some green plastic shavings. (No green plastic in the thing!)
Put it back together without the valve.
It worked. (Thought we knew what had been wrong)

Next day, found another valve on the floor.
Some asshat had put two in, one each way!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
One thing I noticed is that when I took the shroud off, a smalll spring came out. i do not see that happening on any videos showing how to replace the shroud. It is in correctly? It is installed in the shroud and pushes against the firing pin assembly..

i am thing the answer is a long screw in the talley rings. i have the short screw in the wrong spot

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oakster
One thing I noticed is that when I took the shroud off, a smalll spring came out. i do not see that happening on any videos showing how to replace the shroud. It is in correctly? It is installed in the shroud and pushes against the firing pin assembly..

i am thing the answer is a long screw in the talley rings. i have the short screw in the wrong spot

The spring keeps tension on the shroud to keep it from rattling and moving back and forth. The screws would definitely keep it from working right. Read the owners manual and make sure you disassemble and reassemble it correctly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T3 oh T3x?
My T3s don't have a spring. In their plastic shroud.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like the bolt is hitting something that is preventing it from camming over all the way.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Sounds like the bolt is hitting something that is preventing it from camming over all the way.

I have to look at my T3x to see if an extra long mounting screw would protrude into the lug recess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen this on a Tikka 595 when the scope mount screw was too long. I bet this is the issue.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I have seen this on a Tikka 595 when the scope mount screw was too long. I bet this is the issue.

I agree, this is a good thing to check.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.