Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi all,

I'm looking for a few knives that will be used primarily for hunting (gutting and skinning). I just posted a wanted ad in the classifieds for a Buck Vanguard, but started thinking maybe a custom knife is the way to go. I've never had a custom knife made, so I thought I'd start my search here. I'm thinking a drop point type of blade would be best for hunting.

Would like to stick in that $100 range, but I'm not sure if this is possible with a custom made knife. Any suggestions for a custom knife that would fit this or would a Buck Vanguard just be the best way to go?

Thanks!

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your $100 budget is going to be difficult if you want to go the custom route. $100 doesn't buy as much knife as it used to.

I have been a fan of the Buck Vanguard for a while. I think the ergos are really good for big game skinning and processing tasks. Buck does a good job with their heat treat and probably gets as much performance out of their 420 steel as anyone can. If you can add just a little to your budget, you may consider the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series version of this knife which uses S30V steel for $120. The coating and logo turn off some folks though.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-series-xxx-knife-by-buck-knives-100815873

As far as customs, you may get lucky and find a deal if you keep an eye on the classifieds.

You may want to try reaching out to Michiganroadkill here and see if he has something ready for assembly or already built but not spoken for. Don't expect to find something with him for $100 but it would give you an idea of what your idea of features and wants may cost when you start planning your build. His prices are often very reasonable and you get a tremendous bang for your dollar.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Your $100 budget is going to be difficult if you want to go the custom route. $100 doesn't buy as much knife as it used to.

I have been a fan of the Buck Vanguard for a while. I think the ergos are really good for big game skinning and processing tasks. Buck does a good job with their heat treat and probably gets as much performance out of their 420 steel as anyone can. If you can add just a little to your budget, you may consider the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series version of this knife which uses S30V steel for $120. The coating and logo turn off some folks though.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-series-xxx-knife-by-buck-knives-100815873

As far as customs, you may get lucky and find a deal if you keep an eye on the classifieds.

You may want to try reaching out to Michiganroadkill here and see if he has something ready for assembly or already built but not spoken for. Don't expect to find something with him for $100 but it would give you an idea of what your idea of features and wants may cost when you start planning your build. His prices are often very reasonable and you get a tremendous bang for your dollar.

Thanks War_Eagle...appreciate all of the feedback and for pointing me towards Michiganroadkill...I'll reach out to him. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Start looking over the classified ads section here. It will give you an idea what good customs cost.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by buckslayer5676
Hi all,

I'm looking for a few knives that will be used primarily for hunting (gutting and skinning). I just posted a wanted ad in the classifieds for a Buck Vanguard, but started thinking maybe a custom knife is the way to go. I've never had a custom knife made, so I thought I'd start my search here. I'm thinking a drop point type of blade would be best for hunting.

Would like to stick in that $100 range, but I'm not sure if this is possible with a custom made knife. Any suggestions for a custom knife that would fit this or would a Buck Vanguard just be the best way to go?

Thanks!

Hope this does not come across wrong, but for a Benjamin, I'd think you'd be better off going with a production knife, even over a used custom.

The custom makers has the cost of materials and consumables plus his labor. How many hours would you work for $60?

Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
save up $200, you can get some really nice customs knives in that range.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
save up $200, you can get some really nice customs knives in that range.

Thanks...that's what I'm thinking too.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The knives I make usually go in the $200-$250 range and up. A good bit of the expense is due to the ever increasing costs of good blade steel. I only use American made steel because I’ve found imperfections in foreign made steel. Supplies, naturally are going up every time I order sanding belts, etc.

If there is anything I can do to help the original poster, I’ll be glad to help. Feel free to contact me.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the opinion of many was expressed over on a thread about inexpensive knives in the campfire forum. Most folks believe that a Mora or a sharp rock is preferred over a custom knife because it's cheaper.

Sam......

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
The knives I make usually go in the $200-$250 range and up. A good bit of the expense is due to the ever increasing costs of good blade steel. I only use American made steel because I’ve found imperfections in foreign made steel. Supplies, naturally are going up every time I order sanding belts, etc.

If there is anything I can do to help the original poster, I’ll be glad to help. Feel free to contact me.

Thank you!

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If you look around you can get a handmade that has a Buck quality blade for maybe $150.

You'll get better steel for the same cost with a production knife. A Spyderco Bill Moran in VG10 is a steal for ~$100.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the opinion of many was expressed over on a thread about inexpensive knives in the campfire forum. Most folks believe that a Mora or a sharp rock is preferred over a custom knife because it's cheaper.

As usual...you are too arrogantly stupid to pay attention.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For the $100ish budget, take a look at Benchmade’s fixed blade hunters in S30V.

For a great value custom, talk with michiganroadkill on here. He is a solid knifemaker that provides a lot of value. Winston is another solid maker that provides lots of value.

Moving into blades made of more wear resistant steels also requires upping sharpening skills. So give that some thought too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you’re OK with D2 steel, you can get close. I think Mitchell Mountain Knives on here is worth reaching out to.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.