Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like a grand for an emergency,like a car repair ,plumbing or the boiler went out,oil delivery,stuff for when i m not home,and Ma Ma needs to take care of things.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
In college the whole town flooded and I evacced back home w/the folks for a week. Buddy owned a business considered essential, he stayed put and stayed open. We were talking about it sometime after I came back to college-town and he told me many other essential business owners were having to drive 50-75Mi out of town to find an ATM with any funds available as all the ATM's in town w/power/access were out of $$.

I don't keep years worth of cash for bills etc, just enough to get away from a nat'l disaster zone. Few tanks of fuel, hotel for a few nights, food for a week or so.

If it's much worse than what my stash can handle, we're all in deep doo-doo and a steady supply of clean/fresh water is going to be the biggest hurdle.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got quite a bit in the safe and try to replenish it if I use some of it. I've always kept some cash in the safe just because.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Good friend of mine, excellent income, plenty money in the bank, owns a beautiful, spacious custom built new home on over 300 acres, always uses credit, debit and online electronic bank withdrawal to pay for everything. He rarely ever carries any cash on him at all -- not even pocket change.

During the widespread power outage caused by the big ice storm several years ago he was driving back home after attending a annual sales meeting in Nashville.

He said about half way home he got thirsty as heck and wanted something to drink. Even though it was still fairly early nothing was open due the power outage but he eventually did find one outside soda pop machine that still was working -- problem was, he didn't have any real money on him to even buy a soda.

He said he searched all through the inside of his truck and finally scrapped up just enough loose change to buy a bottle of soda pop.

Luckily he had enough fuel in his truck to make it back home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by MPat70
In all seriousness, for the guys that think cash will be worth a damn when things go south you need to change that cash for hard coin silver and gold. Plus things to barter with like medicine, can foods, livestock, seeds, ammo etc...... Those will be the true valuable assets in times of global collapse.

Me? I'm just a country boy and you know what Hank Jr. Says about country boys?

Amen! ^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

memtb

Long term SHF scenario maybe...

The problem with gold and / or silver though is finding businesses that are set up to accept either as payment.

Also with gold and silver prices per ounce as high as they are now, how would you break it down into smaller denominations in order to pay for anything that costs less than current gold / silver value?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
$8. Enough for a driveway or to fix the T1-11 siding.

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
$8. Enough for a driveway or to fix the T1-11 siding.

You better be putting some more back. I just paid $32/sheet for some 5/8” T-111 for a storage shed repair on a property we bought.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
SHTF precious metal wouldn’t be worth anything til some sort of primitive economic system was reestablished. First year it would be all about trading necessities. In an urban setting, you’d be dead before it mattered. Zulu warriors and scheit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Probably not enough.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by memtb
In all seriousness, for the guys that think cash will be worth a damn when things go south you need to change that cash for hard coin silver and gold. Plus things to barter with like medicine, can foods, livestock, seeds, ammo etc...... Those will be the true valuable assets in times of global collapse.

Amen! ^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

memtb

Long term SHF scenario maybe...

The problem with gold and / or silver though is finding businesses that are set up to accept either as payment.

Also with gold and silver prices per ounce as high as they are now, how would you break it down into smaller denominations in order to pay for anything that costs less than current gold / silver value?

I was primarily referring to the medicine, seeds, livestock, ammo, canned foods, ect! For a period of time, those commodities will be worth more than silver/gold

memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Enough so that for something to be an emergency it has to be big.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Originally Posted by Salty303
How bout bit coin you guys keep some of them in the house

Keep Bitcoin ?... You Heard The Story About The Emperors Clothes Right ???

I think that story was a direct reference to the United States fiat currency and federal reserve system.

Agree!... But at least with fiat you have something to touch and feel before you use it to light the woodstove or wipe yer azz with!... [run it through the wash machine first to soften]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Whut? They end up eatin dogschit outta dirty socks?

(Just kidding)

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
A guy should have 2-12 straps of twenty’s

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smarquez
A little cash and "I don't need a receipt" to an independent business person usually nets at least the taxes waived.

Not in my shop. That is an excellent way to run afoul of the IRS, and I have enough problems without saving customers a few dollars in taxes.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
I keep an envelope of cash in my gun safe. Its my rainy day money, I try not to let it go below $1K, usually its a little more.

Same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I drive a fair amount for my business. So I keep around $300 - $500 stashed in the truck. Figured I should have enough cash to pay for fuel to get me home in case things go sideways, I lose my money clip or credit cards shut down.

Trying hard to teach the kids to not leave the house without at least $20 in their pocket. I am guessing until they really get hung out somewhere because they have no $, they won't learn.

I hid $60 in both my kids cars about 3 years ago. I had forgot I did it until I read your post . At the time I guess I figured it would save me a trip of they ever needed cash. Its under the carpet on the passenger side in a ziplock bag.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t keep much cash at home but I do have half a dozen whores. That’s just as good.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I drive a fair amount for my business. So I keep around $300 - $500 stashed in the truck. Figured I should have enough cash to pay for fuel to get me home in case things go sideways, I lose my money clip or credit cards shut down.

Trying hard to teach the kids to not leave the house without at least $20 in their pocket. I am guessing until they really get hung out somewhere because they have no $, they won't learn.

I hid $60 in both my kids cars about 3 years ago. I had forgot I did it until I read your post . At the time I guess I figured it would save me a trip of they ever needed cash. Its under the carpet on the passenger side in a ziplock bag.

As a dad I consider this a worthy act. Did you tell your kids about what you had done?

Or were you waiting for them to call you all hysterical and for you to advise them of how close their salvation was to where they were sitting? LOL!

Not personal or anything as I have followed your postings over the years, just asking!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$500.00

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
742 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.