Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My old bottle of Sweets 7.62 ran dry.

my local Academy doesn't carry it, but does carry a couple other products that are marketed as copper removers.

Realizing that Sweets has been around for decades, I'm curious what yall recommend as the best current market product for removing copper.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Patch Out or Wipe Out work well and aren’t nearly as harsh as Sweets.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have switch from Sweets to Wipe Out unless it is CRAZY loaded with copper. You can still get it with Wipe Out, just takes longer.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A good cleaning with Butch's followed by Wipe Out left over night does a pretty good job. If there's still copper in there, JB on a patch wrapped around a worn brush does the trick.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Guns Slick foam. Gets everything out.

Hang on tight !
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leemar28
Guns Slick foam. Gets everything out.

I agree. I have Sweets, Butch’s, Shooters Choice and several other solvents on hand but I find the foam varieties work well. I have and use Gunslick more than all other on hand.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Both Gunslick and Wipe Out seem to be the same formula as the original foaming bore cleaner....Forrest Foaming Bore Cleaner.

Good stuff! -Al

Forbidden Zoner
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Having tried a lot of brands on heavy fouling on M1919A4 machine gun barrels, I've found Bore Tech is the most effective of the popular brands. Sweets is great but has no carbon solvent and sometimes you hit a wall if there are layers. I have heard that the powder/carbon solvent in Bore Tech was designed by GM for emissions testing...true or not, it works.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might need this information sometime in the future too. My bottle of Shooters choice Copper Remover is about halfway down and I think it may run out sometime in about 10-15 years so I'm starting my search now for a replacement.... wink

I've use the Wipe Out and it does work pretty well on copper deposits- a bit better than my Shooters Choice.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wipeout works ok but with stubborn copper it takes a few applications. KG12 is the absolute best solvent I have ever used and it is not even close.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sheister
I might need this information sometime in the future too. My bottle of Shooters choice Copper Remover is about halfway down and I think it may run out sometime in about 10-15 years so I'm starting my search now for a replacement.... wink

I've use the Wipe Out and it does work pretty well on copper deposits- a bit better than my Shooters Choice.

I use shooters choice on my shotgun bores because it dissolves plastic , it has some nasty smell.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The best I've ever used on copper was the original G.M.Top Engine Cleaner. It was replaced with a more eco-friendly version which doesn't have the ammoniated salts in it...which is what gets the copper out. It should have had about 10 skulls and crossbones on the label! smile

After GM dc'd the 'original', it could still be purchased through Mercury Marine as Quick Silver Top Engine Cleaner. After about two years, that formula also was replaced by the GM 'green' formula. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I start with Bore Tech carbon remover (removes some copper too) and finish with Bore Tech copper remover. Both work really well. Safe to leave in overnight too. Black Friday sale might still be on. I think there was 20% off.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bore Tech Eliminator for me

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bore Tech Eliminator for me

I like that too. Works about as well as the copper remover

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The best I've ever used on copper was the original G.M.Top Engine Cleaner. It was replaced with a more eco-friendly version which doesn't have the ammoniated salts in it...which is what gets the copper out. It should have had about 10 skulls and crossbones on the label! smile

After GM dc'd the 'original', it could still be purchased through Mercury Marine as Quick Silver Top Engine Cleaner. After about two years, that formula also was replaced by the GM 'green' formula. -Al

Tried that once to clean a Beretta piston that the previous owner forgot to maintain. It did nothing on the carbon. This was 7 years ago so not sure if the formulation changed.

If I have heavy carbon I use KG1 which removes carbon and bluing. Works like a top on revolvers, semi-auto's etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana X-Treme

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bore tech is great. Wipe out is great too, just takes longer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't know if you guys get it over there but Sweet's also make an oil. While it's not a copper remover, it will remove some copper - if you put it in a fouled barrel, when you next push a patch out after leaving it overnight, it will be green.

https://caboolturefirearms.com.au/product/sweets-oil/

[Linked Image from caboolturefirearms.com.au]

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana Xtreme if I'm in a rush. WIPE Out for routine use.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.