Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's you folks experience - pros/cons - no doubt excessive on edible game outside of head shots, but the trajectory is a good bit better than a LR.

Anyone use/using on Coyotes? Larger game?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never owned one. So never hunted with one.

Because, I've shot them.
They are really noisy. Surprisingly so.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've used mine on everything from squirrels to deer. Got my first one in the '70's and haven't been without one or more since. Much more effective on stuff like woodchucks, coons, fox, coyote and deer than .22LR.. Not excessive at all on rabbits/squirrels with FMJ's. Ain't even too bad with the 40 gr. HP's unless you plan to eat squirrel heads and ribs. Noise level from a rifle between .22LR and .22 hornet as you'd expect.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good point - I cut the front shoulders out of squirrels, and save the hind quarters and rear portion of the back. My limited experience has been mostly JHP b/c that's what I had, and mostly all headshots, no doubt the damage is much greater than the LR, and that is not a bad thing for killing power on larger animals.

Curious on deer, what bullets HP in lungs or FMJ for head shots? Have a few hogs around my area, and it might be a good idea when squirrel hunting with a WMR to use FMJ, that way I can drill a Hog Skull. The HP might not be as reliable depending on angle of placement, etc.
I'd not hesitate taking a hog if I know I can place my shot where it needs to go. Thanks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed deer with head shots and broadside lung shots. All with 40 grain Winchester JHP's. Head shot deer all went in a heap. Lung shots ran a ways as you'd expect but surprisingly none went very far. All were down and dead between 40 and 100 yards. Bullets were perfect mushrooms recovered from off side ribs.

IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info to know! A wrecked lung is just that, regardless of what made it. Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shot a pile of turkeys with a Browning A-Bolt .22wmr. Squirrels, Fox, raccoons out of trees. Have had a few. Anschutz 54 sporter, Cooper 57M, Ruger 77/22 and target and the A-Bolt I still have. The Anschutz and Cooper were both stupid accurate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot a few coyotes, over a dozen 'cats, coons, opossums, rabbits, and a couple of foxes.

Ruger sold quite a few 10/22 Magnums to state fish and game departments for deer damage control.

My primary 'cat calling rifle is a Remington 597, having an immediate 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shot when you're within spittin' distance of a 'cat in tight cover gives a person peace of mind.

My favorite woods loafing rifle is an old Savage 24 in 22M over 410, shot a lot of black walnuts with it.

I carry a Rossi 515 quite often when I got afield.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 22 magnum will never compete with the 22 LR in the accuracy department, but you gain a good bit more energy. Some swear by the magnum for coyotee, but just as many or more will say it's too small. I like it for coyotee and smaller sized game. I've also seen a number of deer and even bear killed with the magnum, but it's not my first pick for hunting them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Timbo
The 22 magnum will never compete with the 22 LR in the accuracy department, but you gain a good bit more energy. Some swear by the magnum for coyotee, but just as many or more will say it's too small. I like it for coyotee and smaller sized game. I've also seen a number of deer and even bear killed with the magnum, but it's not my first pick for hunting them.

Maybe...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good point - I cut the front shoulders out of squirrels, and save the hind quarters and rear portion of the back. My limited experience has been mostly JHP b/c that's what I had, and mostly all headshots, no doubt the damage is much greater than the LR, and that is not a bad thing for killing power on larger animals.

Curious on deer, what bullets HP in lungs or FMJ for head shots? Have a few hogs around my area, and it might be a good idea when squirrel hunting with a WMR to use FMJ, that way I can drill a Hog Skull. The HP might not be as reliable depending on angle of placement, etc.
I'd not hesitate taking a hog if I know I can place my shot where it needs to go. Thanks.

Winchester HP will get into a pigs skull.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My time over in Coos Bay/ Coos County Oregon, you sure hear a lot of locals say the Elk Poaching Crowd gun of choice was the 22 Win Mag...

Guess for decades there has been a lot of that going on over that way....

seen Elk around this area, that has been wounded by what looks like a 22 LR, people trying to shoot them either in an eye or an ear. face wounds in the jaw, or muzzle between the eyes and nose...meth head jerks I'd bet.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
My time over in Coos Bay/ Coos County Oregon, you sure hear a lot of locals say the Elk Poaching Crowd gun of choice was the 22 Win Mag...

Guess for decades there has been a lot of that going on over that way....

seen Elk around this area, that has been wounded by what looks like a 22 LR, people trying to shoot them either in an eye or an ear. face wounds in the jaw, or muzzle between the eyes and nose...meth head jerks I'd bet.

Absolutely hate a poacher.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Shot a truckload of woodchucks with a Savage 34M. A couple dozen coyotes and as many fox. Lost track of how many coon I shot with it. Never shot a deer or a bobcat with mine. Several butcher hogs and steers. I shot pretty much everything with the Winchester and CCI 40 grain HP. The hogs and steers got the FMJ. I don’t doubt the HPs would have done the job fine.

While I never had any coyotes get away, I was never entirely confident in the magnum on them. I suppose that trepidation caused me to be very selective on my shots.

Last edited by mart; 11/30/21.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great feedback folks, appreciate everyone's contribution. Good info to know on the WW JHP on head shots on hogs......

I have no intention of hunting big game with a WMR mind you, but it's nice to know what can be done if needed. Seafire, sucks to hear folks using rimfires on Elk.......poachers tend to lack much in ethics.

No doubt on average you see better groups with 22 LR than WMR within its commonly used range, but I must say the trajectory advantage to me gives the WMR an advantage in the field when you get to distances say 70-100+ yards.........to put shots on game and in vitals.

I won't argue the report is greater obviously with a WMR.....yet I always use a wad of tissue in my ears. So no issues even when using 22 LR handguns with shorter barrels. Yes, when hunting, had enough damage in my youth.......

One thing to add from my limited experience, on tree squirrels, I have had a very high hit ratio with WMRs. A few shots further out that might have been missed due to mis-judged drop with a LR. Anything I have ever hit was instantly dispatched. An accurate LR is great on paper and game, but I do feel if one has accurate WMR in addition, it's a very useful round for field use. It would be very nice if the factory ammo was more consistent no doubt, I have seen extensive tests showing big swings in ES......which seems to show up much more in shots over 100 yds and greater. The 17 HMR might do much better in that dept. but the wind drift I understand is greater, so I feel the 22 is better for me.

Thanks everyone......and any others who want to chime in.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have shot probably 1500 prairie dogs with my Ruger 77/22M boatpaddle .22 WRM, all using the W-W 40 grain JHP load. Most of them were taken at 50 to 125 yards, with a few taken much farther than that. I have also shot about 500 PD's with a .17 HRM with the Hornady 17 grain V-Max, and, of course, lots of PD's with various centerfires.

The .22 WRM is a very effective killer on PD's, and will fairly frequently do a "mini-blowup" on them. It won't launch them 8 feet in the air and explode them like a hot .22 centerfire will, but it will knock chunks out of them and throw them 2 or 3 feet often enough to notice. In my experience, it hits noticeably harder than the .17 HRM, although the .17 is certainly easier to hit with past 100 yards.

I spent 25 years as a wildlife enforcement officer, and saw lots of deer killed with .22 rimfire rifles, and they were all dead.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/02/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My boy killed his first deer with a 22 magnum. That doe didn’t run ten feet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
best poacher cartridge ever made the old timers tell me ,cheap to shoot, not too noisy , killed deer fast too. i will say for killin critters its deadly.

Last edited by pete53; 12/02/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More good stuff - thanks folks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Timbo

Maybe...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's decent 22 WMR accuracy at 50 yards, but I wouldn't consider it good for a 22LR. That one top right is good, but all the rest are about what I normally expect from a 22 WMR.

Last edited by Timbo; 12/03/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

585 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.