Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Do you hunt with or have hunted with someone that always seems to get a nice one each season?

We hunt with someone in our hunting group that is that guy. For years I always laughed when other members of our group would say, man he has a horseshoe up his ass. I think I heard it the most this year and it has got me thinking…
Now, not to say other members of our group don’t get a nice trophy or the biggest buck here and there. The thing that is different with our horseshoe friend is he consistently connects. Doesn’t matter if it’s with a bow or gun, public or private land, he always makes it happen and usually it’s a dandy.

He has multiple 160”+ public land Whitetails, with a few closing in 190”. We have been hunting together for close to 20 years and I never really noticed it as much as I did this year. Looking back over the years, I can’t really say he does anything special or cutting edge, but is an above average hunter from a skills standpoint.

He is very good and reading sign, terrain and understanding movement. The biggest thing that I think is driving his success is his positivity. He is very happy and cracking jokes constantly. If someone else shoots an animal and needs help, he is on the way to help them right away. He puts up stands for other people running late or will even scout areas for other hunters a head of time.

So, do you have you hunt with or have hunted with someone like this? What have you attributed to their success?

Thanks,
Matt

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My best friend is like that. He wants to kill so bad he almost wills it to happen. Sometimes pisses me off because I “know” the effort will be wasted, but then [bleep] just happens for him. He’s a great hunter.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I was much younger, one of the local guys always killed a pretty big mule deer buck every year, when most killed small to average bucks in the same local mountains.

Turned out his "secret" was to wait until the rut got going, then hike into areas where he knew lots of does lived--after enough snow fell to make sneaking up on a rut-dazed buck easier. (Earlier in the season those bucks lived much higher on the same mountains.)

But aside from knowing the seasonal patterns of local deer, he didn't pull the trigger on a smaller buck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the hunter has an advantage over the shooter.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know a guy like this that kills some monster whitetails consistently. When I asked him for advice on what he does to make him successful he told me " you don't kill a big one by shooting a little one". He also said you'll never kill one sitting on your couch. He is patient and devotes a large amount of time to being in the woods. He makes his own luck. I've learned allot from him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been my experience that luck really is when opportunity and preparation intersect.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
my dad knew a guy in PENN who tagged a good sized buck almost every year and a black bear every few years. He was an older gentleman and always hunted by himself. When he was hanging out in the bars in the evening, guys would approach him and want to hunt with him. He would give them a blank stare and change the subject.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Every person I know who kills big bucks and bulls regularly does so on purpose. They are all methodical in their approach and they all have a couple things in common. They all say the proverbial “you’ll never kill a big one if you kill a little one” and they ALL know how to glass, they are proficient with their rifles, and they are where they are supposed to be before it even thinks about getting daylight, and they stay out until it’s too dark to see.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He said " He worked harder than a homely girl on her honeymoon night."

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mohawk
. . . . He also said you'll never kill one sitting on your couch. He is patient and devotes a large amount of time to being in the woods. . .

^ ^ ^ pretty much the essence of success ^ ^ ^ right there

JMHO- my personal motto regarding hunting methods is
to hunt your own hunt, and let me hunt mine. I've yet to
carry a deer to a taxidermist, even some of the "nice " ones
If a person wants to hunt for large antlered animals, that's
golden with me. My "trophies " are full freezer bags, and
the memories I made experiencing my time in the woods.
I don't fret over what the guy minutes or hours away from
me is doing while hunting, and expect the same courtesy
from others

Good Luck- Have Fun

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’m not a gun writer and I hope you guys don’t think I’m a know it all. I started having much more success when I started making a “plan”. I look at the weather and habitat-environment conditions and think if I was an game animal, where would I go? Hunting pressure, rut activity, crop land conditions, wind speed and directions all have a big impact on where game is going to be. When you have a “plan”, it is much easier to stay positive, expect to be successful and be ready when the moment of truth happens.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Get off you ass and go where the game is, or is going to go, not where the " hunting" is unless you are using the unwashed as unwitting drivers

Patience, grasshopper! I'm gonna try that latter sometime ....... smile

its better to be lucky than good, but the better you are the "luckier" one is likly to be

Last edited by las; 11/30/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
+1 on full freezers and having fun…..

Have fun.....j3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by goalie
It's been my experience that luck really is when opportunity and preparation intersect.

Spend 60 to 90 days a year "afield".

Sometimes one gets lucky!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a friend who’s killed a nice buck every year for a long time. I also know a number of guys who’ve never killed a good one. They shoot the first legal buck they see every year. If that’s how you operate, the odds are you’ll never get a good one.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I know "lucky" guys who are always the ones to win the guns at the charity raffles or who always get the coveted door prizes at the banquets. I can't win a thing. But in my experience the ones who succeed in the field are the ones who have put in the work (staying fit, scouting, planting food plots, etc.), and/or understand the "how's, when's and why's" of hunting that put them in the position to get "lucky".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Luck trumps skill any day, at least that's my motto.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Making your mind up to kill mature animals is everything but you also have to hunt where there are mature animals.

Luck plays a big part but the above makes the odds better.

You have to make your mind up that you want mature animals and don't shoot the first average buck that comes along.

The more hours in the woods the better your odds.

I go in 30-45 minutes before daylight and sit until 20 or 30 minutes after legal shooting light. Legal light here is 30 minutes after sunset so I am in about an hour after sunset.

ALL DAY SITS.

I start the all day deal from around Halloween until the end of our firearms season. I believe it is 5 of my last 6 bucks have been killed from 10:30sh through 2:30/3:30.

May eat tag soup this year if I don't get a crack at a good one in alternative season that starts somewhere around Christmas day until Jan 4. No biggie though as the 2 I passed opening morning will just be bigger next year as long as the survived this firearms season.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My brother once told my son that he’s as “lucky as a dawg with two dicks” lol

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
490 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.