-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
I've got one in 6.5 CM that is a dud as well, Accuracy with 140 grain bullets is abysmal, I encounter pressure signs well below published max loads and it would be lucky to shoot a sub 2 moa 5 shot group. I like the rifle and bought it for hunting blacktails up here on the wet coast below the panhandle. I'm waiting to hear from the warranty people.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stop wasting your time with cheap chit,, buy a well known rifle to start with.... stupid is as stupid does..

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Slim_chance
I've got one in 6.5 CM that is a dud as well, Accuracy with 140 grain bullets is abysmal, I encounter pressure signs well below published max loads and it would be lucky to shoot a sub 2 moa 5 shot group. I like the rifle and bought it for hunting blacktails up here on the wet coast below the panhandle. I'm waiting to hear from the warranty people.

I was interested in one in 6.5 CM until I found info that the twist rate was 1-8.77". Will it shoot 120 grainers?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Quote from JB:Have played with three Mauser 18's now, if I recall correctly, two .308 Winchesters, and a 7mm Remington Magnum (which I own). All have shot very well, but two immediate possibilities come to mind. You already covered the first one with the notion of trying another scope--though I will also comment that one thing I try NOT to do is put a brand-new scope on a brand-new rifle. If the accuracy sucks, is the the rifle or the scope? Putting a proven scope on a new rifle reduces the possible variables.

I found this to be one of the best pieces of advice passed on by anybody.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
S
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Originally Posted by Slim_chance

I was interested in one in 6.5 CM until I found info that the twist rate was 1-8.77". Will it shoot 120 grainers?

It sure as heck doesn't like 140's and the only sub moa 120 gr load I've been able to get it to shoot is 41.0 RL 17 with a 120 speer gold dot which isn't setting the world on fire. It will also shoot the 100 grain ballistic tip with 38 gr of RL15. Both of those loads are rather soft. Pushing it harder only leads to poor accuracy and pressure signs. I sure as heck would not recommend one to anybody.

And Hubert , take a long hard suck on a lolipop

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Hubert
Stop wasting your time with cheap chit,, buy a well known rifle to start with.... stupid is as stupid does..

prick

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hubert

Mauser is not "well known rifle"? They make some of the best in the world.

Last edited by Switch; 12/28/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
I know that we are no longer used to rifles that "only" get 1.5" groups.

Just wanted to mention that Jack O'Connor and others of his vintage, right up to the 80s and into the 90s, were thrilled to have a BG rifle that shot groups of 1.5". They went forth and killed game.

A rifle that only groups 1.5" will reliably kill game out to at least 400-450 yds. What more do you need?

Now, have I been content and/or do I own a rifle that will only group 1.5"? No. I'm not happy unless the 3 shot groups are under 1".

I'm just putting a bit of perspective on it. I think we agonize things a little more than we should these days.

I must say that the bullets, rifles and scopes of today, allow us more accuracy than the writers in the 80s could imagine possible.

I've got a 270 Mossberg 100ATR that shoots right around 1.5" groups at 100 yards. A little better with hand loads, but still over 1".

I bought the rifle for cheap when I suddenly came into some land to rifle hunt deer, and I didn't have anything I wanted to drag up a tree. After years of muzzle loading only, I figured why not?

Long story short, it has killed ever deer I shot at with it (5 so far, it's been semi-retired for years, but goes up and is in the bad weather rotation) with one shot while wearing a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x scope.

That said, I'd expect any new bolt gun currently manufactured to shoot 1" at 100 with decent ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hubert,

Apparently you don't have any experience with today's inexpensive rifles. Many are more accurate than the rifles you and I grew up with that were considered top-notch. I have owned at least a dozen pre-'64 Winchester Model 70s, and about the same number of Ruger American Rifles. Given a little tweaking (or sometimes none at all) the Rugers have been more accurate--and with less tweaking than the pre-'64s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've worked with one M-18, a 6.5 Creed. It shot factory ammo around MOA I think I could get sub MOA performance with reloads, but it was for a good bud and he's off killing deer with it, very pleased. I was impressed, especially in the $400+ price range. Trigger is great, adjusted it to 3#'s with a metric Allen wrench, and it's 3#'s on the money with every pull.

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hubert,

Apparently you don't have any experience with today's inexpensive rifles. Many are more accurate than the rifles you and I grew up with that were considered top-notch. I have owned at least a dozen pre-'64 Winchester Model 70s, and about the same number of Ruger American Rifles. Given a little tweaking (or sometimes none at all) the Rugers have been more accurate--and with less tweaking than the pre-'64s.

This

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All though I've never seen or handled a M 18 it appears to one of the better "inexpensive" rifles. The others in this category may shoot, but as an old Montana gunsmith once told me "Nobody should have to shoot a rifle that ugly".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Switch
All though I've never seen or handled a M 18 it appears to one of the better "inexpensive" rifles. The others in this category may shoot, but as an old Montana gunsmith once told me "Nobody should have to shoot a rifle that ugly".

I don't think any of the "cheap" rifles are actually very pretty. But they do shoot and they are cheap...

In that category, to me the M-13 is the about best looking, or maybe the least ugly... I like the trigger and the three position safety.

Pretty will cost you more, real pretty, a lot more....

DF

C
Cross Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Cross
Update:

After trying 8 loads with the Mauser M18 and two different scopes (the latter a well proven old VXIII which provided identical results as the Meopta scope) the M18 is on its way back to either the dealer or the manufacturer). We really liked the rifle as far as weight features and “feel” but on its best day it would shoot 1 1/2 MOA with the very best loads and many were over 3 MOA with a few knocking on 5 MOA.

Action screws were torqued. Bases were bedded. I’m confident that it was the rifle’s issues and not optics, scope mounts, ammunition, or shooter error.

I’ll get back to you all when more is resolved.

Cross

Sorry for such a late response. The rifle was sent back to whomever it goes to as far as a Mauser rep in the US. The same rifle came back a few weeks later with an approximate 1 inch group saying that the rifle meets their accuracy guarantee claiming that the group had been shot with 165 Bergers. (They must have a special batch because I've never seen or heard of 7mm 165 Bergers and we've been unable to duplicate their results with 168 VLD hunters).

My buddy has been using the rifle to hunt with for the past 2 seasons and it does kill things but he is a bit limited due to the accuracy of his rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.