Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
How many different bullets have you tried with your rifle?

I don't think I would start removing wood on that rifle. Maybe you just haven't found "THE" bullet yet?

I've run 100 gr E-Tips. After about 400 with different powders, cases, COAL, etc. I gave up. Charley Santoni called this rifle a "Temperamental Whore", when he had his hands on it. 100 gr BT. 115 gr and 120 PT. It likes the 120. Carried it with me on a Utah spike elk hunt. No joy! Hated the 110 Accubond....except for one IMR 4350 powder charge. 100 Sierra SPT BT; 4"-6" groups. Did some initial work ups on the 100 gr Hornady SP but never finished the project. Charley turned me onto the 115 BT with IMR 4831 and BINGO! It really likes that bullet and powder. I finally killed a few deer as did my son and step son's who took their first deer with it. I even put those 3 into that cow at 220 yds. Great bullet performance. I've also played a bit with the 115 Berger and Barnes, 80 TTSX, 110 ELD-X. I wish Hornady made the 87 gr SP still. The rifle loves that bullet with Varget or H4350.

Alas, I really want/need to get the 100 TTSX or 101 LRX to work. Barnes is my employer. Ran a primer test today and the Fed 210 showed great promise with the 2nd shot inside the 1st shot and the 3rd 1.25" off to the right. Single digit ES for the 3 shots. Jury is still out.

Alan

I'd definitely say you have run the gamut. So much for my $0.02 of suggestion. smile

Beyond the bullets, I'd say your plan to have a master gunsmith inspect at some point is probably sound...or learn to live with the way it shoots and continue killing game.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not a varmint rifle. Sight in for the 2 shots and quit worrying about it

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rule of thumb in the 2 in, 1 out seat bullet further out. I would seat that 101 lrx out in .005 increments. I almost guarantee you, you will bring that 3rd bullet in with the other two. How far off the lands are you with that 101 lrx?

Last edited by 79S; 11/30/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Rule of thumb in the 2 in, 1 out seat bullet further out. I would seat that 101 lrx out in .005 increments. I almost guarantee you, you will bring that 3rd bullet in with the other two. How far off the lands are you with that 101 lrx?

So you seat closer to the rifling when you have two close and one out some?

Semper Fi
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Both my 257 Roberts, this custom and a Kimber 84M Montana were at the range 3 days this past 4 day weekend. I ran a COAL test and a primer test. It liked the final .050" off the lands and Fed 210 primers. ES was 8 and SD was 4. First two shots were .13" with the 3rd opening the group to 1.3". The best this rifle has done with the bullet/powder combination. Next will be a verification test where I will go add one shot at a time to a single group, either an hour apart or days apart; thus the barrel will be absolutely cold before the next shot.

Alan

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Was the batch loaded 0.050" off the lands the furthest jump you tested?

If so, it may be worth testing increases in jump. Several accounts here that cite best accuracy as much as 0.100" of jump.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

As long as I have been hanging around here, I always remember everyone saying to seat deeper when you are getting "2 in, 1 out" groups.

Everyone else always followed that up with "what does a 5 shot group look like?"

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I tested 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150 off the lands. Could have gone further but the groups were getting progressively worse.

Alan

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd say you covered all bases!

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I do this stuff professionally.....for a living.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 11/30/21.
IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tested 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150 off the lands. Could have gone further but the groups were getting progressively worse.

Alan

Alan

Just curious. Have you tested closer to the lands? Say .010 off or even .020? I know general rule with a mono is far off the lands but I’ve had good results closer. Especially with a sleeker profile mono like an LRX.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful rifles gentlemen !!

RGRX what caliber?

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 805

Alan

Alan

Just curious. Have you tested closer to the lands? Say .010 off or even .020? I know general rule with a mono is far off the lands but I’ve had good results closer. Especially with a sleeker profile mono like an LRX.

I have in other calibers with other bullets and have found, personally, it's never worked.....so far!

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Free float the entire barrel back to the receiver. The barrel is touching somewhere so as it heats up the stock puts pressure on the barrel. Look at the forearm the opposite direction from the bullet shift……
To test: fire three shots. Wait at least five minutes between shots. See if the third shot still moves. If it doesn’t, then it’s the barrel channel.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I will give it a try.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Free float the entire barrel back to the receiver. The barrel is touching somewhere so as it heats up the stock puts pressure on the barrel. Look at the forearm the opposite direction from the bullet shift……
To test: fire three shots. Wait at least five minutes between shots. See if the third shot still moves. If it doesn’t, then it’s the barrel channel.

I wait 3 days and 5 hours between each shot. That way the barrel is nice and cold.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not open the barrel channel on that beautiful stock. Instead, I would keep working on loads. I have a custom .257 Robert's with tight bedding like yours that shoots extremely well with several different loads. If nothing else works, I would think about a second, synthetic stock.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know if spent a bunch of coin on a rifle and it shot like chit I take that barrel shove it up whoever built its ass.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I do especially with rifles with a bunch of freebore. My model 70 in a 375 H&H is one. I have buddies who will increase the powder charge to tighten up the group. The 6.5 Swede I have is another with a ton of freebore. I’m probably doing it wrong but it’s worked for me so far.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
I would not open the barrel channel on that beautiful stock. Instead, I would keep working on loads. I have a custom .257 Robert's with tight bedding like yours that shoots extremely well with several different loads. If nothing else works, I would think about a second, synthetic stock.

"Tight" bedding is fine, when done right. His rifle is exhibiting signs of a stressed barrel or action. As john boy was alluding to in his post. Also, for those of you that don't know this, the op is a competitive shooter (from what I remember) and also works for the Barnes bullet company. So the inaccuracy may be bothering him more than he is letting on. We all know this rifle is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. The builder of this rifle may not be with us anymore, hence the reason he is not sending it back to him??? If it were mine, I'd be a little apprehensive to send it off to just anyone. Maybe a select few, but that is it. I wouldn't even want to work on it myself and that would be a first.. A rifle that beautiful deserves to be done right. As I said in my first post, a custom like that should shoot very well. The op probably wouldn't have posted the question, had he not felt it should shoot better. Also, from my experience, a rifle that shoots that poorly, is going to be a real headache. Regardless of what other loads you try. I'm also thinking if Alan hasn't rung it out by now, it likely is not going to ever shoot to its full potential because something is stressed and causing the inaccuracy.. Best of luck to GSSP.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.